Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Great results with Johnson Paste Wax

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Jake's Products (jakesproducts) sells 2 pound cakes of Alox on Ebay for $12.50. I've bought bullet lubes from him many times. He's always been good to deal with and will answer all your questions.

David
    Thanks for the tip David...how do you liquify these cakes? Heat them or disolve chunks in mineral spirits?
    “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” – John 3:16

That still amazes me…I don’t care who you are or how much I care about you, I would never let you kill my son. I can’t even begin to understand how much He loves us.

Hello, New to casting. I loaded 100 boolits with one coat of JPW and 100 with one coat, plus 24 hrs later a dip to the grove in JPW. I warmed a jar lid with a heat gun and dipped them that way. Both sets are loaded with 5 grains of red dot behind a 160 grain Lee 45ACP tumble lube mold (WWs and tin). My question is: What am I looking for when I compare these boolits? I realize I'm looking for leading in the barrel, but how do you find that? Do I need to clean the barrel every 10 shots or so? I hope the non-dipping method wins because it adds another step and another 24 hrs, and it's messy.
    I will try to shoot this week, but I'm in training for the Wanenmacher show, You know, practicing walking sideways stooped over for about 10 miles. Later Don

Boolit Master

If your gun likes the boolit, it is sized properly, and you start with a clean bore, it should stay fairly shiny while you are shooting it and still be that way when you are done. I know my old winnie 94 has a few rough spots in it that always stay dark compared to the rest of the bore, but as long as I don't clean it they never get any larger. I guess I am up to nearly 350 rounds of cast boolits coated with JPW, and running 2200+ fps out of my mod 94 now. I haven't cleaned it yet. It looks just like it did after the first 10 rounds were fired through it. You can also see how well that old rifle shoots with JPW lube at this link;
    http://www.gunloads.com/castboolits/...ad.php?t=38692
    Hope this helps some.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Just loaded 90+ rounds with J's wax. I heated the wax ( about a tea spoon) in a stainless steel pan just till it melts, removed from heat and let cool for 30 sec, droped in about ten or so boolits an mix well it coated well this way filled all lube rings. Tryed heating boolit and then added wax but all melted off boolits. Tryed the heatup wax and drip boolits in wax what a mess. Hope this helps someone

In Remembrance

Found a can!!!

I finally found a can of jpw! I was in a hardware store, est.1884, and still run by the same family. They had 1 can each of jpw, Butcher`sand Trewax. This is the same store I bought jpw at for 4-H wood projects too many moons ago. I tried talking the price down, due to a dent, didn`t work. At $6.05 I didn`t complain that much, besides I got my 09 Rem. calender for my trouble. Now I`ve just got to decide exactly how I`ll use it. At my age it probably will be in my estate sale!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Boerrancher View Post
    ......One of these days soon I am going to post photos here of how I apply JPW. I have great results with it in both rifles and pistols. My results are quarter sized groups at 75 and 100 yds with my open sighted 03A3 Springfield rifle you can see the load data and pics of the groups in the cast boolits section under the thread "More pics of Home grown Gas Checks Results." I was pushing close to 2000 fps and that was just with JPW as lube.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe
    Hi Joe,

Sure hope you do post those pictures.

I have been given bag full of 130 gr cast .284 bullets. They should be just the ticket for shooting grouse, ptarmigan and rabbits with my old 1:12 twist 7X57 Husqvarnas.

Don't have a 7mm sizer, but am thinking that tumble lubing with JPW would be a quick way to get these bullets into action. I have plenty of the stuff here, as I have used it for years as release agent when bedding rifles.

In the meantime, I am thinking that just swishing fifty or so around in a clear plastic peanut butter jar might work. Should be able to watch the progress as they pick up the lube. Would be interested in yours and others thoughts on doing this.

Ted
    Last edited by Yukoner; 12-31-2008 at 02:19 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Why is everybody heating JPW? Admittedly, I'm using Minwax, not JPW, but all I do is drop the boolits in an old powder can (plastic) along with a dollop of Minwax and shake violently. Granted, a few small pieces of wood in there may help spread it, but it covers the boolits well as is.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I have a brand new Star lube sizer.

How well would Johnson's Paste Wax run through a Star?

How well would it stick to a boolit?

Would I have to add anything to the JPW to make it stick in the boolit's lube grooves better?

I also have a heater for the Star.

I am just not into all this handling of individual boolits. I also would rather not have large horizontal space taken up while waiting for the JPW to dry or harden up if I went the tumble lubing route.

Thanks, in advance.

Boolit Man
    Has anyone ever mixed JPW with LLA if so was it any good and were there any benefits to this.Just curious.

Deepsouth wrote:

Has anyone ever mixed JPW with LLA if so was it any good and were there any benefits to this.Just curious.
    I read through this entire thread the other night.

It sounded to me more like everyone was using JPW in lieu of LLA, mainly, I think because JPW is so much cheaper.

It could also be that a lot of the posters in this thread are fans of tumble lubing and if they size they use a Lee push through sizer.

(I went ahead and invested the big bucks for the Star. So that's why I posted my question up above. Besides that, I really don't have the room to have boolits all laid out to dry for 24 hours plus.)

I will say this though: I had bought and used a cold swaged boolit made by Hornady. It has the cross hatched pattern in it to hold their lube.

I emailed Hornady to ask what their lube was. They did say it was some super secret proprietary blend but it did include Alox as the main ingredient.

After looking at the pictures of the JPW covered boolits that Boerrancher posted, I would have to say that appearance wise, that brownish coating does remind me a lot of what the Hornday boolits looked like.

So maybe... just maybe... Hornady's "secret recipe" is some sort of wax... JPW... cut with Alox ...

The reason I like the Hornady boolits so much is that they didn't seem to smoke all that much, IIRC.

Smile

If you just mix some LLA into JPW, you get something like brown cold cream. It eventually dries hard, though. I started with a partial tub of JPW, some LLA, a toilet bowl ring I had, red wax off a hunk of Gouda cheese, a bit of fragrant scented candle wax, a bunch of beeswax and a bunch of lanolin and ended up with some great stuff for hot dip lubing. Scientifically formulated. Works great smeared over the balls in a Colt Walker replica, too.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Ricochet--JPW and LLA on the balls---wouldnt it be easier to get a raincoat?

Now THAT'S funny!

Smile

You really should try it. Pure lanolin is great on the balls, too.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    You really should try it. Pure lanolin is great on the balls, too.
    Well... I don't know about using them on the balls but I took some Udder Balm, that I put on lactating goat udders, which is largely lanolin and used it as a boolit lube on my405 grainers for my 45-70 while shooting the Holy Black. It is a great cold weather lube, not sure how it will work when the weather is 100+ in the shade but it works good around 10 to 15 degrees.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe
    Last edited by Boerrancher; 02-04-2009 at 06:15 PM.
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Smile

That's mostly hydrated lanolin (which is a redundancy, the word "Lanolin" having originally been a trade name for hydrated wool fat, thus "anhydrous lanolin" is a circuitous, cumbersome synonym for wool fat.) Might get a little thin in hot weather, but the moisture in it's probably good for keeping BP fouling soft. The anhydrous stuff works well in the cap & ball revolvers and holds its viscosity to surprisingly high temperatures. Probably worth trying in the rifle.

Boolit Master
    Interesting!

Bag Balm is medicated .... use this on your "balls" and they will be antiseptic!

....... Oh ..... lead poisoning trumps an infection ....... sorry .......... LOL!!

Three 44s

Boolit Bub
    Great thread. Plenty good advice.
    Little scrape of Ivory for the stearate sounds good, and Boer's lanolin, too.
    I shall never again lube a single boolit or lube a case without a dash of lard in the lube mix.
    Plant 'em good.
    Last edited by 3rptr; 02-09-2009 at 12:53 PM.

Boolit Master
    ALRIGHT ALREADY:

I was in Home Depot yesterday ..........

...... and a can of original JPW jumped off the shelf and INTO MY HOT LITTLE HANDS ........

And for about $6 ...... they let me outa of da store with it ...... sans sirens!

So count me in the fold ........

......... I'll try it!

Three 44s

Been usin JPW on my .32 win spcl rifle boolits. No leadin' at all.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!
    Will kill for food!

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast