RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Great results with Johnson Paste Wax

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Having thought more about what I wrote I would suggest to anyone concerened about using car wax, use the ones not listed as a cleaning wax. The cleaning waxes are the ones that have the polish in them. Something else to think about is the polish left in the case from tumbling, no one seems to mind that. I still contend but this just my opion it would take so many thousands of rounds before there would see any wear. Also would not using jacketed bullets be more harmful? How bout using JB bore cleaner?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bcp477 View Post
    CAR wax COULD be harmful - because it contains fine abrasives. Acrylic clear coat finishes on cars are designed to respond well to this. Under heat and pressure, in a gun bore, perhaps it would tend to be more destructive than might seem reasonable. On the other hand, perhaps it would only help to "lap" the bore. I think that I am not brave enough to try it, though.

Products like JPW (Minwax paste "finishing wax" is another very similar product), if designed for fine furniture, do not contain abrasives...only solvents for cleaning, in addition to the carnauba wax.
    Polishing a bore is harmful???,,,hmm,,,

Unhappy

JPW is no longer made? Whodathunkit?
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Banned

Hmmm.... that sounds like a Canadian thang..

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm not surprised it's not made in Canada anymore. I believe it's still being made; just somewhere else.

My can says Made in Mexico. NAFTA, don'tcha know.

Boolit Master
    When the Canadian Gubment found out that johnson's paste Wax was being used as a bullet lubricant it was put on the dangerous goods list, it now requires a "dangerous goods permit" to acquire it, and one must be registered with the Federal Government as an " ammunition manufacturer". Further to that, we can no longer export it to the USA without proper paper work, seems our gov. doesn't want it to get into the hands of terrorists residing in the USA and crossing the border into Canada and using it on us.

Boolit Master
    Man, I hope they never catch on I'm using Canadian manufacture TP as filler for my boolit loads........................Lee

Quote Originally Posted by bcp477 View Post
    CAR wax COULD be harmful - because it contains fine abrasives.
    Car POLISH would be harmful. straight, non cleaner types of car wax, with a high percentage of carnnuba would not harm anything.
    ....Dang, it's great to be old!!

Smile

Right. But lots of car wax (all of it I've ever seen or used) is self-polishing with the abrasive mixed right in it. Might work for fire lapping (which I've never done and never plan to), but I wouldn't think it'd be the best lube.

J-B non imbedding bore cleaning compound is abrasive so is Remington bore cleaner, for that matter primer residue is also. Auto polish used on clear coat finish could never harm a steel barrel in a lifetime of shooting. I can just see someone finishing up his RR then wondering how soon the finish will be rubbed through, kinda silly right? Course others might shoot more in a lifetime than I do, last year I only shot 3,000 rds thru my favorite .45 and 4,000 in my carbine. Before one needs to worry about wearing/polishing out the barrel the throat will be eroded away from the powder burning.

Smile

I've seen car paint rubbed through to the primer more than once.

I've never used any of that abrasive cleaner paste in my guns, either.

Do you use toothpaste on your teeth, its abrasive, but it will polish out plixiglass and leave no visable scratches. Point being you can not wear out you teeth with normal brushing no more than you can wear out a hardened steel gun barrel or a non-hardned one for that matter, as stated more damage will occur from contamints in the lead or dirt picked up before loading, or from primer residue.

Smile

I'm sure you're right. I just feel funny about it, though.

And teeth do wear down noticeably over the years from polishing and brushing. Some whitening toothpastes are pretty harshly abrasive. Eating wears 'em a lot more, though.

Boolit Grand Master
    Your barrel gets shot a lot more than your car gets waxed, by far.

Other waxes are more appropriate. With the great many possibilities out there, car wax with abrasives has to rank rather low as to desirability.

You don't coat your bullet with JB or Rem Clean for every shot, either. If you did, that would make those gun cleaning items (combined with some kind of wax) just as unsuitable for bullet lubricant use as car wax with abrasives.

Which would hardly be surprising to anyone.

Boolit Master

I started using JPW to tumble lube my boolits in after reading about it here. I am pushing a 235 gr round nose out of my 45 LC rifle and pistol. I don't know what I am getting out of the pistol, but I am averaging around 1,800 fps out of my rifle. The bore is nice and shiny, and I have sent over 200 rounds down range with the JPW lube at booth tin cans and coyotes, and am dieing to try it on some 180 grainers out of my 300 win mag. I will be happy if I can push them up around 2,200 fps or faster, and not have a leading problem.
    Does anyone have any reliable velocities with JPW or LLA out of a 30 cal? I will post my results as soon as my mold shows up.
    Once again I thank all of you for the great topics and loads of info.

Happy Shooting,

CPT T.

Re: Your barrel gets shot a lot more than your car gets waxed, by far. How true, however considering the hardness of clear coat versers barrel steel I do believe the steel will hold up just a little better. Also how about the polish resisdue from tumbling, thats got to eat the barrel up fast. Between primer resisdue, dirt that just happenes to get picked up, grit from polishing, contamints in the lead its a wonder rifling stayes in place at all. I guess I really could care less as I'll never live long enough to see the barrel shot out with lead bullets. And yes I hope I have quite a few years left.

Boolit Grand Master
    Wax your car 200 times with abrasive based car wax and tell me how the clear coat is holding up. I doubt a car exists out there that has been waxed more than a couple or three dozen times or so with abrasive type wax. Considering the ratio of usage gun versus car is several orders of magnitude I don't take it as a given that steel will hold up better with that type of disparity. My point was, if you'd fear putting JB on a bullet for every shot, then some of the abrasive car waxes should give you pause as well.

Personal choice. We'll do what we want.
    Last edited by 35remington; 04-11-2008 at 06:12 PM.

Smile

I've seen folks rub through into primer. By hand. Maybe not on the latest factory paint jobs, but I've seen it done.

That aside, maybe it's not all that harmful to use abrasive wax on boolits in a gun barrel, but I sure don't see any benefit to it, and the only way to know if it's harmful is to shoot a lot of that stuff through a lot of guns and see if it wears them out faster. Won't happen with mine.

Boolit Master
    LOL!!!

I had not entered this thread before and the above post was the first thing I saw!

And I was thunkin ....... what in the world has "Boolit's" turned into ............ LOL!

So I investigate further ....... and I gotta ask:

What is wrong with good 'ole Lee Liquid Alox??????

You bet abrassive waxes will eat paint! ...... and that's at hand pressure.

Guns opperate at thousands of PSI and in a confined space.

Make mine LLA!

Three 44s

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    What is wrong with good 'ole Lee Liquid Alox??????
    Not a thing. I'm right fond of it. And got a gallon of Alox 606-55 when Wiljen ran the group buy last year.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast