Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Great results with Johnson Paste Wax

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by wire nut View Post
    After coating the bullets looked dull
    Good thing you aren't loading military ammunition.

Some Sergeant Major would take one look at those dull bullets...and you would spend your weekend learning to run the world's smallest buffer.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Smile

LOL!

How true.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

hi gang after reading this thread i tumbled lube some 45rn in JPW shot at 800fps was 30min cleaning lead out of my barrel thanks but no thanks clint

Smile

And yet I've shot 2000 FPS gaschecked boolits lubed with JPW out of my K-31 Swiss and .300 Weatherby Magnum Vanguard without leading. Boolit fit, alloy, bore condition, all the usual suspects come into play as well as lube. JPW's not the all-purpose lube for everything, though.

casting acww . .452 nice smooth bore boolit drops .4525 clint

Ditto what Ricochet said. Clints folly what alloy were using and what was its BHN?

do not bhn air cooled ww can just mark with thumbnail clint

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Rusty View Post
    Is the J's paste wax or J's paste wax and beeswax put on thick enough to fill the lube grooves and let dry, or are the bullets just coated all over and the lube grooves aren't full, but have a coasting of the paste wax lube? I'm asking as I can't find a bottle of alox on any gun store locally, and I'm needing to have some lube for the bullets I have cast.
    Thanx ......
    Ohio Rusty
    You don't need lube in the bottom of the grooves as they don't touch metal anyway.

Strange isn't it that people lube bullets and then push them through a sizer that scrapes most of the lube off the bearing surface of the bullet where it is needed most.

Quote Originally Posted by BAGTIC View Post
    You don't need lube in the bottom of the grooves as they don't touch metal anyway.

Strange isn't it that people lube bullets and then push them through a sizer that scrapes most of the lube off the bearing surface of the bullet where it is needed most.
    Not so strange. In the conventionally lube bullets, when fired, the bullet compresses a bit and forces lube out of the groove. And the instructions with the Lee tumble lubed sizer tell you to lube, size, and lube again.

Boolit Mold
    Hi guys I'm a new member and new to casting and reloading...I've been reading the board for awhile now and have learned a lot...Thank you...
    I would like to know what you guys think about using a small deep fryer set at a low temp say 150 to 200 degrees f with JPW put a couple hundred boolits in the basket put it in the now melted wax. Leave it in the wax for a couple of minutes so the boolits can warm up enough for an even thin coat..Then dump on wax paper... The fryer I'm thinking of using has an airtight sealable lid so I could just leave the wax in it and use it as needed...What do you think?????Thanks Daryl

I know you guys like tumble lubing, but has anyone cooked out the solvents and made a lubrisizer lube out of this? Maybe soften it with boolplatelube?

Boolit Mold
    Update on the deep fryer....It works great..The temp setting might be off alittle but I set it on 300 covered the bottom of the basket with boolits 165 of them (45acp) and set them in the fryer for about two mins. Lifted the basket and let drain took the boolits out with my fingers they were warm but not too hot to handle..Put a nice coat on the boolits...The only down side is the vapors...Very strong but I'm thinking ( hopeing) the solvents will bake off...By the way I got the jpw at Lowes for $4.85 a can. I bought four cans put two in the fryer it should last a long time..

Monroe, Washington in the The Great Pacific NorthWet
    Now you've gotten me thinking...

I wonder if a Crockpot would get hot enough to do the same job with JPW?

Smile

Way, way, way more than hot enough.

JPW success

Realize that I am dragging up a farly old post here. But I wanted to put in my $.02 in favor of JPW. For my low velocity plinking loads in 41 mag I have been doing the LLA/size/more LLA route. But this time I went with LLA/Size/JPW. This gun tends to lead up at and just in front of the forcing cone. Although still present, it was substaintially reduced with the JPW. For the record I was ACTUALLY using an old can of "TREWAX" that came with the house when I bought it. But I am pretty sure they are both simply carnauba based floor waxes. Kev

Smile

JPW has a little carnauba wax in it, true. But the solid stuff in it's mostly microcrystalline paraffin wax, and about 80% of it's mineral spirits. Trewax has a lot more carnauba.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    JPW has a little carnauba wax in it, true. But the solid stuff in it's mostly microcrystalline paraffin wax, and about 80% of it's mineral spirits. Trewax has a lot more carnauba.
    Interesting!

It would seem that the carnauba being vegetable based would be superior to paraffin based JPW for a lube.

I may have to try a test soon.

Kev

Boolit Grand Master
    After reading through this thread, I'll be going out Friday(my day off) to find some JPW.

Moderator Emeritus

The old, old can of trewax I have says over 50% carnauba. i add a small amount to my fwfl. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Man
    I have some old carnuba car wax. "mequiars gold class"
    Could I just use this to lube a bullet?

If so, could I just get some on my fingers and push it into the lube grooves myself?

Thanks!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast