Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: These would be fun to build : ) "The Sliding Patch Box" The more ornate the better

These would be fun to build : ) "The Sliding Patch Box" The more ornate the better

With a pair of Bausch & Lomb visor magnifiers I would have no trouble building rifles like these.
    http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.c...1_archive.html
    Here's a good book source. Moravian Gun Making of the American Revolution by Bob Lienemann and Steve Hench
    http://kentuckyriflefoundation.org/krf-store/#moravian

Last edited by Just Duke; 12-25-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Definitely my favorite type of rifles to build. I won't build some other types, but will always accept a traditional flint rifle or fowler project. The wooden patch boxes are easier to do than most think. I think I can actually do one from scratch, faster than inletting a metal patch box.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Those are beauty's for sure. I look on that site from time to time and marvel at the workmanship. There are some top names by them guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Those are beauty's for sure. I look on that site from time to time and marvel at the workmanship. There are some top names by them guns.
    <yawn> Remember this is 300 year old technology. No reason you couldn't build your own if one follows certain applicable guide lines. It's like coloring book. You just have to color with in the lines. Also remember the gents that built the originals were very young. Most back then didn't live past 36 years old. The gunstock was always inside the tree, you just have to remove the rough edges.
    Also remember the men that built the rifles pictured are very much trying to replicate rifles the innovator's created. An anachronism.
    These are much simpler than one of those nutso complicated WWII radial engines. lol
    Barbie oogles these all the time. I figure I should post them here.
    Last edited by Just Duke; 12-25-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Boolit Master

I have put a few together from parts sets from TOW and the like. Some turned out pretty decent. I do think one needs some artistic ability for the upper grade guns which I seem to lack but would have better luck building the engine. If making guns as nice as those where easy everybody would be doing it. Look close at the inletting and arcetecture.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    If making guns as nice as those where easy everybody would be doing it.
    One would first before anything have to have the desire to build these. You can make anything you want if you have the desire to do it.

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    We are in the second Golden Age of rifle building. Today's builders are far surpassing the quality of the majority of the old guns.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    We are in the second Golden Age of rifle building. Today's builders are far surpassing the quality of the majority of the old guns.
    That's good to know. By all the salt and pepper pictured it looks like we don't have much time left.

Do you think this is silver plated?

Boolit Master

It's hard to tell from the pictures. If it is silver it is not plated but solid German silver. Could just be steel in the white but still just guessing.

Looks like polished steel. Guys capable of this caliber of work would use sterling, not plate or german silver.

I'm pretty sure it is iron, as the other furniture appears to be iron.

In Remembrance
    No doubt they are beautiful. I have always wondered how accurate compared to those built today by craftsmen of the same ilk.

Even cheap massed produced muzzle loaders have shot pretty good for me, accuracy wise, but there are lots better shots than I am I reckon.

The problem of building a real high end rifle, is finding a customer afterwards! Quality costs money.

Banned
    The problem of building a real high end rifle, is finding a customer afterwards! Quality costs money.

I'll take a quality flintlock anyday but make it a poorboy with a simple open tallow hole please...all that itching,scratching, mauling and carving makes a nice rifle into mighty fancy pretentious looking firewood.....that is MY opinion...I just happen to find all that ornate carap offensive to my eyes and absolutely without use. On the plus side a good cabinet scraper could fix most of em.

Myself I wouldn't need a customer. They would be for us.

There's plenty folks out there with the cash, thank God!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    With a pair of Bausch & Lomb visor magnifiers I would have no trouble building rifles like these.
    Well, the parts are available. Nothing preventing you from building one.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    [SIZE=4]Do you think this is silver plated?
    Agree with others. To me looks like iron finished bright.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Boolit Buddy
    These are early rifles, and if I remember correctly German Silver was not invented until something like 1830. Coins were flatened at times for small inlays. I cnnot remember anything about streling silver.

These fitting must be polished steel. In this period the originals would have probably just been plain polished iron: without the carbon cooked into it to make it into steel. That would have been way too expensive wouldn't it it for rifle fittings in America?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast