MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need to add another rifle to my collection, a 22 rim fire.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I need to add another rifle to my collection, a 22 rim fire.

My wife was sitting on the couch next to me last week. We were watching the news. Of course all of the news surrounded the school shooting and needing more gun laws. So she asks me, do you have all the casting and reloading stuff you need then mentioned specific items such as powders, primers, moulds, etc? So I say, can't think of anything I need. So, she asks, do we have all the guns we need?
    I said well, none that I can think of, we have the bases covered but I'm planning on picking up a couple more lever guns just to play with.
    So, she says, well if you need anything else, you ought to go ahead and get it. "Gosh, I sure do love my wife". Anyway, I got to thinking. I need a new 22 rim fire. My old Rem is shot, no pun intended.

My question, what's a good off the shelf 22 these days. My first thoughts go to a Ruger 10/22. Since I haven't fooled with the 22's much in a number of years I'd like to get a few ideas from you guys. I'll probably scope it so that needs to be in consideration. I really like semi autos but I can go with a bolt or lever.

Thanks, Sam
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

The .22 of choice for me would be the 22/77. Cool thing is you can use those hi-cap 10/22 mags. CZ has some nice offerings too.

Boolit Buddy

I prefer the 10/22 but everyone has their own opinions

For the money a Marlin 795 works great.
    Life's hard, even harder if your stupid.

Moderator Emeritus

Iffin yur into bolt actions...CZ is my suggestion.
    I have a CZ-452 and love it.
    CZ has upgraded it to CZ-453
    which basically has the "set" trigger that has been standard on their centerfires.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Totally agree with JonB_in_Glencoe. My next gun is going to be a Cz 455 American in 22WMR.

Ifin you're just looking for a reliable accurate plinker then you can't go wrong with a 10/22.

Boolit Master

I can suggest one NOT to get- I bought a Browning T-Bolt and it has the lousiest trigger I've ever tried to use.

Quote Originally Posted by wch View Post
    I can suggest one NOT to get- I bought a Browning T-Bolt and it has the lousiest trigger I've ever tried to use.
    I had a Buckmark Silhouette that the trigger broke (drug) rough and gravelly at 8 1/2 lbs.

If you're gonna get a 10-22, buy a used standard model off Gunbroker, get a match trigger & barrel and a Fajen stock..
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Can't really tell you, but last summer I purchased a Henry Lever Action, then late summer I got a Ruger Single Six, mid fall I picked up a Schultz & Larsen single shot.

Get what you wish, best way to do it.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Buddy
    I have a couple of the cz 452 rifles and they are a very nice and accurate rifle

Boolit Master
    My favorite .22 is my 77/22 but the 10/22 is a close second.I just prefer hunting with the bolt.I did buy a CZ 452FS in .17 as a gift for my father.I also put a scope on it for him , that CZ will shoot.I need to pick one up for myself , nice rifles.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I have a CZ American in a 17 HMR. It's the most accurate rim fire I have ever shot. It took my shotgun's place for squirrel hunting about 8 yrs ago. Another CZ might go well. I know this is a dumb question but I have found most semi auto rifles less than desirable in the accuracy department when scoped, but is there a good semi auto loader out there?
    If I go with another bolt gun, CZ has a good chance of getting my money.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master

I have and love my CZ452lux. It shoots just about any ammo great and some brands like CCI SV or subsonics into amazing groups.

You have to define what you want it for - My 4 favorites
    Semi-Auto Ruger 10/22
    - ton of after market options - high capacity mag's available - can be very accurate with a little work but some are out of the box - prefer older models with metal trigger housing

Bolt - Romanian 1969 Trainer
    - man sized gun - good iron sights - gooved for airgun rings - nice trigger - hard to find magazines for and only 5 rounders.

Lever - Marin 39A rifle
    - high capacity works with subsonic shorts and is like having a suppressed gun without the hassle's, accurate, mine came with only thing needed was a sling install - course my eye's have worsened over the years.

Single Shot - Thompson/Center Contender
    - you can set up in so many ways with this gun, mine has a target trigger job and I could reliably hit the chicken targets at 200 from creedmore position
    - but fair warning it is addictive - I don't know how many pistol and rifles barrels are even available at this point. And you can do the larger framed Encore if you want more.
    Last edited by Artful; 12-25-2012 at 12:46 AM.

I have a 10/22 and I like it.
    I also have a Western Auto (Marlin model 60) I bought about 48 years ago when I was a kid.
    I still go back to the Marlin and so does my 13 year old grandson.
    Still accurate after all these years.
    He likes it so much I got him one for Christmas.

Boolit Grand Master
    The five I have are mission specific platforms for servin' warrants on Rocky!

In Remembrance
    I suggest checking out rimfire central, and crossing off the ones with there own forum suggesting what to buy to make them usuable. lol

You mentioned wanting to pickup some levers to play with. I will never part with my marlin , but from all accounts I have heard there is nothing wrong with the henry at all.

Henry Lever action, or ruger 10/22 of all i have owned these are my favorites.
    Giving money and power to Government, is like giving Whiskey and Car Keys to teenage boys!!!!

REMEMBER,,, Boys and Girls,,, An EMPTY gun is just an ugly club!!!!

Thumbs up Ruger 10/22 and Armscor M14P.

Ruger 10/22 for out of the box accurracy. Plus, it'll most likely be banned soon. Best bolt action 22 I've worked with is the Armscor M14P. Shot sporter rifle with it and it always allowed me to shoot hot for the first few matches. After that, well, it was all on me...............

http://www.armscor.com.ph/img/edited/riflem14p.jpg

http://www.armscor.com.ph/boltrifle.htm
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    It depends on what you want to do with it. Just fun plinking a 10/22 is very popular, for general shooting CZ makes some fine choices, for top of the line target rifles it would be an Anschütz but the best value I know at the moment is for a good starter target rifle made 30 years ago by Kimber and available as New In Box Surplus from the CMP. Here is the link:
    http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/22targetsurplus.htm

Scroll down to the Kimber Model 82 the only one still available is the so called "Rusty Kimber" and the description sounds terrible but if you Google Rusty Kimber you will find most reports very positive, I bought two for my grandsons and both were great a little rust on one bolt that cleaned up with a brass brush and Kroil and left no trace. An excellent price for a competitive quality target .22 shipped to your door if you qualify. These guns bring much more on the used market than the CMP is selling them for.

These rifles were produced to military specs that included paragraph 3.3.5.3 which reads in part "Accuracy. The average extreme spread, measured from center to center of shot holes, of three consecutive 10-shot groups fired at a range of 100 yards shall not exceed 1.50 inches and no individual group shall exceed 1.75 inches......" which is better than most people can shoot. If you would like to read the history of these rifles here is a link to a good write up:
    http://gnewyear.com/files/M82story.pdf
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast