Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I think I'm going to cry today -- RIP Lee Challenger...

I think I'm going to cry today -- RIP Lee Challenger...

I have been reloading my guts out in preparation for Independence day celebrations. We always go shooting. I've done about 800 rounds the last two days, and she gave out.

At least you can get replacement parts for it. Are you saving up for a Rockchucker?
    Born OK the first time.

I am saving, but I may go with a Turret model rather than a single stage. A progressive would be REALLY neat, but I don't know that I could ever afford one.

Boolit Master
    Ummmm what were you sizing on that, .50BMG???
    Seriously, you made me go downstairs and look at mine, just to see what's up. Unless you were mistreating it, that almost looks like a casting defect finally let loose. Just MHO....
    I also have a turret press(Lee), and with a rhythm going can get 225-250 rounds an hour out of it. That's with pre-primed cases. Like you, I don't think I'll ever afford a progressive.....................................Le e

Moderator Emeritus

Lee will repair or replace for 1/2 the cost of new. Gianni.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Give Lee a call
    I bet if you sweet talk them , they will give you a replacement part for free
    Tell them you can email them a pic

I had to send the old part to them , then they sent me the replacement part for free

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry to see your problem. Puts me in mind of the ads that Dillon ran a number of years ago, when Lee and Dillon were bashing one another.
    What were you laoding?
    Jim
    Cast boolets are the true and rightious path to shooting bliss.

Boolit Master At Heavens Range 2008 Swagerman's Avatar
    HandyrandyRC, can you give us another photo or two, showing a little more detail on fracture. I don't know this model and the hole has me freaked where the break is. Was there a bolt through that hole.

I've got a Lee Classic single stage, and the toggle system is different.

Jim

Moderator Emeritus
    Typical Lee, cheap to start with and you've had more than your monies worth out of that press but eventually it lets you down. The replies indicate that it is the nature of the beast.

Get something better now, you will need a single station press it is the foundation of all handloading, get a good one and then think about turrets and progressives. I have 5 single station presses, 2 Turrets and two progressives. If I had to have only one then it would be one of the single stagers. Probably the Ultramag just because of the clearance it gives me.

Lee have recognised that their line was weak and have responded with the Classic Cast and the Classic Cast Turret and both have had nothing but favourably consistent reviews so the Classic cast could be the way forward, lower cost but not lower quality.

I don't use them at present but a pending handloading room/gunroom move means that I will have the bench space to add them to my line up of tools and give them a proper try.

I'd buy a Lee Classic Cast, Rockchucker, Big Boss, Co-Ax, Hornady single station, Lyman Orange Crusher but not even consider a replacement Challenger, secondhand for a good press is a viable route also.

Move up and move on.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Buddy
    Hey Handy Randy...
    It's a design flaw in the link. I've had 4 break on me... Presses are handy though the way they are set up.. Lee really needs to address this problem. I have an old challenger and it had a different style of link that is still good.... I think they tried to fix something that wasn't broke. Go figure. Links are 3 bucks I believe.
    Calvin
    PS found this on their site
    http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...474.4938=90587
    It's the toggle clamp half....

Classic Cast

Check Midway's July sales brochure on line.
    Lee Classic is on sale.
    It is a solid press.
    Classic cast progressive is good as well however.
    FWIW
    DaveP kywoodwrkr

Boolit Master

Handy, mine broke in the same place. I put some aluminum rod to it via the TIG weldor and was fixed in minutes. If you have a friend with a TIG give him a beer for the repair. If you have to pay a stranger to repair, it will be cheaper to buy a new part...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

If you want a single stage get the Lee Classic Cast. If you want a turret get the Classic Cast Turret. I have both and they are very good presses. The Classic Cast is just as strong as the Rockchucker, etc., has some features that the Rockchucker, etc. doesn't, and is a lot cheaper. The Classic Cast turret is built on the Classic Cast base and linkage (all steel rather than cast aluminum of the Challenger) and is a great press for pistol and small - medium rifle rounds. Unless you want high volume production like a Dillon, the Lee Classic Cast presses give you the best buy in a SOLID press for less money.

Boolit Buddy
    My press broke the same way. The handle became loose in the jaws. When you put pressure on the handle all that was supporting it was the jaws. I called Lee and was sent a new set of toggle jaws. Their customer service department is very good. I'm very happy with them. I also check the bolt several times a week. You have nothing to lose, call them. Be sure to tell them if both toggles are broken.
    Good luck.

Boolit Master
    I haven't had that kinda problem in close to 2 years of use. and I do some crazy ass case forming....5.56 NATO to .300 whisper in one pass.
    Some where between here and there.....

Banned

Dan im going to educate you on how to deal with lee. Dont ever call them and ask for replacement parts or a quote to fix something (this goes for lyman too) just box up the broken parts and mail them to them. 99 times out of a 100 you will get free replacement parts int he mail withing a week or two.

That is the reason why old hands tell newbies to get high quality equipment to start with. Cheap is as cheap does!. You are not going to bust a Rockchucker. My old RCBS A2 was made from cast steel in the 50's and is good as new.

If it were a RCBS press they would just send you the parts. My 1972 vintage Rockchucker was stored at my parents house for a number of years and by the time I retrieved it the bench it was attached to had been move to the garage. It had been remove from the bench by my sisters ex(many expletives deleted) and tossed to the floor. When I got it to my then new home and cleaned it up for use, one of the side links were broken and the ram had gone missing. I called them about buying replacement parts and they just sent them free of charge.

Boolit Buddy
    Lee=JUNK! everything you get from him has to be fixed to make it work properly!You are money ahead to save up and go with RCBS or Lyman. I have 35 year old RCBS and Lyman presses and molds that have seen MUCH use. I don't have 35 year old Lee anything!

I won't bash Lee out of hand. For my money, Lee makes the best reloading dies. I have never owned one of their presses. They always looked to flimsy to me. I have a single stage Pacific (Hornady) from 1968 that has loaded THOUSANDS of rounds, and a Redding T-7 that I bought a couple of years ago that I load all of my rifle rounds on. It is built like a brick @#&*house. I gave $199.00 for it and suspect my daughters kids will be fighting over it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast