MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Slip Fit of Bullet in Fired Case

Slip Fit of Bullet in Fired Case

I am loading a NOE 38/200 cast bullet for a Mk IV Webley 38 S&W revolver. The alloy is plumbers lead and casts .364. The bullets are then pan lubed with equal parts of lanolin, vaseline, and beeswax, then loaded in a RCBS Cowboy Action die set. A 3 grain powder charge of Accurate 5 is used and a pretty good load, knocking down the pig silhouettes at 100 yards (from a rest) is the result. The question I have is when I went to load the shells back I found the bullet will not slip fit in the fired case, which is a big problem in a rifle but from the discussion on pressure signs in revolvers it sounds like it might be the brass case has more spring back in pistols than would be found in a rifle. I slugged one chamber from the cylinder and found it to be .3605 and will slug the other cylinders as well as the barrel before ordering a sizing die. I have been using the Lyman 95 grain slug in the past for this pistol; it sure is a whimp compared to the 200 grain boolit. Shells should have a slip fit with the boolits?

Bob

Boolit Master
    My bullets usually fit the casing about like a stripper in a spandex dress...

Boolit Bub
    Well the bullies you are casting sound like they are 4-6 thousands over the normal .38 bore size? That might just be a hair to big to go in your fired cases without sizing the bullets I guess...ok call me mr obvious. Haha.

Merry Christmas!

Boolit Master
    Boolits cast and lubed ready for seating won't slip into the fired cases that have not been re-sized? Is that what you are saying? That's fine. You want neck tension when you seat your boolits into the cases. I'll have to try this too, but it shouldn't be an issue. What brand of brass are you using?

Boolit Master

Are you measuring with calipers or a micrometer ??

The throats/bore should run in the 360-361 range.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38-200

Got some different brass to try ???
    Some thinner than others.

If using a die set for 38s&w try a set for 38spc. for sizing (the normal 358 dia firearms) just cause it has 38 in the designation does`nt mean it`s 358"
    GP100man