Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox

Thread: New to shotgun reloading

Boolit Bub

New to shotgun reloading

Hello to all I am new to shotgun reloading. I have been reloading metallic handgun and rifle for years. I recently purchased a lee pot for melting lead, actually started that yesterday with pretty good results. ( I was very impressed). I have a couple of questions for some seasoned loaders. First, I have a (both from ebay)lee Key Drive slug mold,1oz. I also have a lee 00 buckshot mold (18pellets per). I have purchased some white federal shotgun shells,primed from Ballistic products. I also got the 12s4 wads, clear overshot cards, hard card wad 1/2", and the .125 nitro card. I am going to use hs6 powder. I have a old school lee shotshell loader,(ebay) hand tools. I would like to load, obviously the slugs and 00 buckshot. I have been pouring over the post here to see what others have done, and have noticed a lot of guys using the plastic wads, I have the 12s4 type (brown). I have been trying to figure out a good shot column for the 00 buck with a fold crimp and a good slug shell with clear overshot card with a roll crimp. I went to the BP site last night and ordered a roll crimp and some 16g .125 card for the slug to fit in the 12s4 shot wad, was recommended by a member...vdo or something. I read his post and was very informative, yet kind of confused. I had the idea of using the 1/2" hard card wad if possible in lieu of the 12s4. I really could use some recommendations, based off of the supplies I have on hand. Looking for a recoil of about #4 buck in both loads. (if thats possible). My daughter loves shooting with me, so I wanted to give her something that wouldn't beat her down too bad. She's awfully good with the S&W .45acp revolver, so I am gonna start with casting some for it as well. Anyway, thank you in advance for any advice and recommendations you have. I use hogdons website alot for my loading specs.
    Smitty

Boolit Man
    Well if you are new to reloading shot shell you went the wrong way to start. New hulls are a pain many of the things you have will have you pulling rest of your hair out .
    Good luck and merry christmas

Banned
    Hello QwikSting, you read my post as VdoMemorie's-BlazingSabots,

as you can see the slug is sitting too deep into the wad, you'll have to cut the top of the petals about 3/16" to make the slug stick out about 1/8 of an inch after putting a 16 ga .125 nitro card below the slug like shown on last four slugs on the right!

*****Let me warn you the load of HS-6 is VERY VERY HOT & DO NOT USE!

**HS-6 load most shooters stop around 32 to 33 gr with Lee 1Oz Drive Key, load your first few at 29, 29.5 & 30 gr and you check by firing them before you give it to your daughter.
    **Secondly your Fed. Hulls come with Fed. 209A magnum primers, what you needed was Fiocchi hulls with regular primers never mind next time buy Fiocchi Brown hulls on special at $8.99
    You did not need the roll crimper instead use fold crimp, see if you can cancell by calling Eric at BPI.
    If your shotgun is a smooth bore then do this test first:

The powder will start seeping past the OP wad like this:

all you need to do is take a 1 inch square piece of paper and put it on top of the powder followed by the wad and slug.

Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost!
    Ajay
    BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
    Blazing Sabots, LLC
    www.BlazingSabots.com
    http://www.facebook.com/BlazingSabots?ref=hl
    www.PreciousVideoMemories.com

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the very informative post VDO