WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50. cal, Knight LK-II inline black powder rifle any good?

50. cal, Knight LK-II inline black powder rifle any good?

50. cal, Knight LK-II inline black powder rifle any good?
    Last edited by Just Duke; 01-10-2013 at 09:35 AM.

Duke,

Thats a steal, IMHO, the trigger, if the Bold that came on most Knights, is worth that.
    I have an older knight, similar to the Knight LK-II, that is a gun my brother has used a few times over the years. Shoots great with a 240 grain xtp......................

Quote Originally Posted by skullmount View Post
    Duke,

Thats a steal, IMHO, the trigger, if the Bold that came on most Knights, is worth that.
    I have an older knight, similar to the Knight LK-II, that is a gun my brother has used a few times over the years. Shoots great with a 240 grain xtp......................
    Thanks SM. Is this rifled for sabot round only or can one use a cast bullet?
    I don't mind using a sabot I just don't want to have purchase expensive jacketed bullets when I have lots of lead about for casting.
    Will it shoot minnie balls?

knights shoots both saboted bullets/boolits and conicals very well. never tired a minnie ball in one. the avg bore size of a knight barrel is around .503

Boolit Master
    patched round balls even work quite well out of many fast twist barrels

Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    Thanks SM. Is this rifled for sabot round only or can one use a cast bullet?
    I don't mind using a sabot I just don't want to have purchase expensive jacketed bullets when I have lots of lead about for casting.
    Will it shoot minnie balls?
    Duke,

Yes..........on both, my brother took 2 deer at over 100 yards on a cull hunt with the 240 xtp in sabot & I took a small buck years ago with a great plains bullet in the Knight I mentioned. (over 125 yards) Be sure to use a wad, wool works best for me. The bore on mine was pretty rough, (tooling) even new, and I lapped it to shine like a mirror. I think its a 28 twist. 70 to 80 grains 2 f was a good load for the 385 grain great plains. My daughter and I even shot round balls with half loads of powder just to plink with it too.

ADMIN

Re: 50. cal, Knight LK-II inline black powder rifle any good?

My dad gave me yesterday a CVA 50 CAL. He has a bunch of plastic sabots that he has been shooting unlubed .430 boolits .
    Only prob we have is the current alloy we use is really hard and doesn't expand.
    I got 100 lbs of sheet least in bound. Gonna cast some pure for that purpose.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Thanks guys I just brought her home.
    She surely won't be hanging over the fireplace.
    I'll put her in the red headed step child closet.
    I think I'll get a LEE mould or something.
    Last edited by Just Duke; 12-24-2012 at 08:42 PM.

OOPS! OK, here why it was so cheap. The nipple was threaded to tight and couldn't be removed from the breach plug.
    Everything came out together.
    I made a clamping fixture out of a scrap of Baltic Birch and clamped it up without damaging the threads.
    Last edited by Just Duke; 12-24-2012 at 08:43 PM.

All better now! I'm thinking I'll put some sort of anti-seize on all the threads next time I take it apart.

Boolit Master
    DUKE - I just purchased a very similar used Knight rifle. Have you tried full-bore cast boolits in yours yet? I have not and I'm wondering what you're using if you have.
    God gave us music that we might pray without words

Perm-Banned
    heres another thought that you 2 with the inlines 1/28 twist should try. i see most shooters like you want the best out of your gun and want to stay away from sabot. switch to paperpatched bullets. you can buy them from buffalo arms as few as 25 at a time. .492 and two wraps of paper to bring it to 2 thousands under top of lands bore size would give you guys what you want. a 500 or 550 grain bullet should shoot well in your 1/28 twist guns. see idaho rons post and go to the black powder paperpatch post on this site and get help their. i and idaho ron and many others shoot paperpatch in fast twist muzzle loaders with great success, you could to.

Boolit Master
    I'm not necessarily opposed to the sabot, as long as it shoots well. Heck, I haven't even put this thing on paper yet! I'm just exploring my options.
    God gave us music that we might pray without words

Boolit Buddy
    I killed a 6x6 Bull Elk at 119 yds, with a cast bullet in mine, shoots very well, George.
    NRA Life Member
    USMC Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by George Tucker View Post
    I killed a 6x6 Bull Elk at 119 yds, with a cast bullet in mine, shoots very well, George.
    What bullet were you using sir?

Boolit Buddy
    I've had good luck with Powerbelts and patched roundball, and decent luck with Maxi-Balls (I think they are a tidge undersize though).
    I shot the LK-II for 4-H for 4 years, and in all that shooting, there were two instances in which the gun fired just from flipping the safety off. The first one went off safely pointing down range, and when the second one happened I had learned to use that screw safety at the rear of the bolt and that kept it from actually firing. No idea how it happened, and was never able to replicate it on purpose.

Banned
    Man I killed a lot of deer with my LK-II / Wolverine Knight rifles. I was sorry to see mine go, but, they ran their course for just over 10 years. That LK-II will do you just fine.

Boolit Buddy
    Duke, i was using Maxi Balls, they have always shot good in my Knight, George.
    NRA Life Member
    USMC Life Member

I had it up for sale for awhile. I'm kinda stuck with this now as I really don't care to ship firearms anymore. To much chance of damage.
    So I'll make the best of it.

Boolit Master
    The Knight line is a very good one. I'd suggest you look at the Paper Patching The Muzzleloader sticky by idahoron. I shoot mostly sabot in my 50s = I have a PRB mold for a smooth side 45 boolit of 300 gr. and with a nice flat point. Works great in my smokey and SML muzzleloaders. I just use the regular 1-1+2% of coww and soft with 2% tin. Has never failed to deliver the goods on terminal performance. Nice job on the nipple removal. I use copper anti seize on a lot of my ML stuff, particularly nipples and vents, have started using the PTFE tape on the breech plugs to prevent sticking and it works great. Good shooting.

Last edited by 10 ga; 08-07-2013 at 11:24 PM. Reason: accuracy above all else!
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga