RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic

Boolit Bub

H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic

Anybody know the pressure limit of the buffalo classic? Is it trapdoor or levergun or Ruger#1. Oh its .45-70 model. thanks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
    Anybody know the pressure limit of the buffalo classic? Is it trapdoor or levergun or Ruger#1. Oh its .45-70 model. thanks
    I believe it is suitable for modern lever gun loads.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Buddy
    cabezaverde is correct ...

Quote Originally Posted by cabezaverde View Post
    I believe it is suitable for modern lever gun loads.
    H&R puts these same actions out in .44 Magnum, .500 S&W, .270, etc. I'm not sure they even consider the various loading levels of the .45-70. Let's just say I'm not in complete agreement with them on suitable calibers for that action... But just an opinion.

Boolit Master

You will not likely go much above levergun load levels. Recoil will quickly become the deciding factor.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys this is probably just going to be used as my first bpcr but just wanted to find out about pressures.

Boolit Master
    A quick call to their 800 number will tell you that they make their actions in three different strengths. Your BC .45-70 is limited to mid-strength, like the lever guns made by Marlin. And, as stated, you won't want to go higher anyway as this light rifle will really get your attention with mid-level loads.

Boolit Master
    So, if you bought a 30-06 Handi, then a Buffalo classic barrel, it could be a full strength.

I have a hard time swallowing the three different strength idea. Now, I know the shotgun and the rimfires are different than the rifles, but I don't think and have never heard of three different strength rifle receivers, except for the old and the newer.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

I am not sure you can compare the .30-06 and .45-70 in this action as head thrust comes into play.

I am not expert on anything but I recall reading about a Lee Enfield No.4 conversion to .223 Rem. Even though the .223 generates pressures considered beyond the normal limits of the LE action the decided factor was "head thrust" and for the .223 the thrust is less than .303 British so the conversion is OK.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    I am not sure you can compare the .30-06 and .45-70 in this action as head thrust comes into play.

I am not expert on anything but I recall reading about a Lee Enfield No.4 conversion to .223 Rem. Even though the .223 generates pressures considered beyond the normal limits of the LE action the decided factor was "head thrust" and for the .223 the thrust is less than .303 British so the conversion is OK.
    Those Enfields have also been commercially rebarrelled into .308 Winchesters and .45-70s. But I too have doubts about .30-06 or high level .45-70s in that H&R action.

Boolit Master
    If you can take the recoil more power to you, I have three 45/70's a rolling block which I shoot BP only a Shiloah Sharps and the BC. The BC will get your attention a lot faster than the other two. For better information go to greaybeard outdoors site and he has a NEF/H&R section.

Boolit Master
    sorry fellas, I meant that as a rhetorical question.

I agree, levergun loads in the BC is punishment enough.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Mold
    I had an early H&R Shakari (Handi-Rifle ancestor) in 44 Mag that had been rechambered to 444 Marlin. I hand loaded heavy loads for it. It was accurate but the recoil was unreal.

I agree that you will find your own limit BEFORE you find the gun's limit.

Congrats on your choice. I have wanted one for a while.
    Mickey Rat
    Citizen of Alabama
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Loaded five of each a 300g LFPPB , a 405 LFPHB , 450 LFPGC and a 500 g LSPPB with 51.3 g of IMR 4895, the recoil went up as the boolit weight went up. It wasn't to bad but I did shoot less in the BC than I did in the Sharps 7#/13# lots of difference.

action strength

I was told about 10 years ago that the 45-70s were in the marlin range of pressure limits,but some factors are the time frame of when the guns were built because the shikari is an h&r action it is supposedly the weakest, next are the 45-70 guns that nef, h&r 1871 started making 10 to 15 years ago including the buffalo classic which were I was told were the same action as the higher pressure cals.3006,35whelen etc, but the 30-30s,44mags 357s and 4570s were not heat treated actions, but the higher pressure were heat treated. From what I got from talking to NEF a few months back all the actions now made are basically the same as far as strength go's. It all boils down to the ser.# range of when your gun was built. Back to the H&R shikari Ken Waters in the 7th ed.handloaders digest lists it in group 1 along with the trapdoors. I'll try to find it but I have the ser# prefix for the actions that I was told that you could put any of accessory bbl's now avail. on.

Boolit Master
    Here is an intresting link to tell how you tell the year of manufacture http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.p...c,26264.0.html

Boolit Master
    NEF rates their Handi-Rifles to take load data for the 95 Marlin and 86 Winchester. I asked them after I saw mention of it on a specialty ammo manufacturer's website. And I agree with the poster who said that with the light weight and steel buttplate, you'll stop short of the 'Ruger Only' loads anyway!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Here is an intresting link to tell how you tell the year of manufacture http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.p...c,26264.0.html
    Thanks for that link. I was able to date my Shakiri 44 mag to 1974.

Boolit Mold
    I had an H&R Buffalo Classic and always used the reloading data for the Marlin 1895. I had no problems at all, and it was very accurate!! Art

Boolit Master
    The most telling rating is that NEF chambered the rifle in 450 Marlin, a 43,000 PSI load.