Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Imperial sizing wax recipe

Boolit Man

Imperial sizing wax recipe

I don't if this is the right place to ask this but does any body have a recipe that comes close to duplicating the case resizing product called imperial case resizing wax.

Boolit Grand Master

Have no info on Imperial Sizing Wax, but, I use Mink Oil Boot Dressing and it's reported to be very much like Imperial...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

One can has lasted me several years... I see no reason to make my own
    I am one gun away from happy

Boolit Grand Master
    I also use Mink oil boot dressing, not just because it's way cheaper, but because it works just as well and can be bought everywhere shoes are sold.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Man
    I'm off to the shoe store.

I made some sizing lube using anhydrous lanolin from Randy & Castor oil, 4-1 ratio. It works great for sizing 22lr jackets, I am sure it would be as good as Imperial for case forming or such.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Banned

i make it 2 to 1 and it works awesome for swaging and for case sizing.
    works in boolit lube too, so does mink oil,neatsfoot oil.
    de-fatted oils are very useful in lube recipes.

Boolit Master

I saw a video from the Sierra Bullet Company about forming bullet jackets and they said they used soap for lube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkr1NS7bEUU

Anybody ever try it?
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't use anything water based in my dies. I have a hard enough time keeping rust at bay as it is.

Banned
    Most soaps are rust causing in and of themselves partly due to chemistry and partly due to degreasing agents. I would not go there as I really made a mess out of a press and a lee push thru die that way.

I mix (by weight) 2 parts beeswax and 1 part anhydrous lanolin for my case sizing lube for tough resizing and case crunching jobs (imperial clone).

For everyday case sizing I use 10 parts HEET or 91% isopropl alchohol to 1 part LIQUID lanolin in a spray bottle...shake and squirt, and it works real well as long as you do not use too much and you must let it dry a few minutes before sizing.

Boolit Master
    Mink oil and Hornady Unique sizing lube seem to be the same product in differently marked tubs. Imperial is in a class of it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    I saw a video from the Sierra Bullet Company about forming bullet jackets and they said they used soap for lube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkr1NS7bEUU

Anybody ever try it?
    When I played industrial electrician we often used dish soap as wire lube for pulling large wires into conduit. Joy is very slippery stuff
    I am one gun away from happy

dratz ...i was hoping this was a recipe for using imperial in a lube , i keep thinking of it but have too many lube projects going now , i think it would be some slippery lube , worse i cant seem to find the MSDS on it ( altho i now note that redding makes a green colored version of it lolz )
    "Redding brand of Imperial Sizing Die Wax

The original non-liquid sizing die lube is now available from Redding. True to the original LeClear product of the 70’s – green in color."

http://www.redding-reloading.com/onl...ial-lubricants
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    i make it 2 to 1 and it works awesome for swaging and for case sizing.
    works in boolit lube too, so does mink oil,neatsfoot oil.
    de-fatted oils are very useful in lube recipes.

2:1 what?
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 375RUGER View Post
    2:1 what?
    Could be refering to post #6?
    Horace

Boolit Grand Master

Remember This when Sierra tells you what they use. 1) their swage dies are carbide and don't rust 2) the presses run pretty much 24 5 or 6 so little time for rust to form 3) there jackets and bullets are coated much more consistently than ours with the lube. Since sierra makes their own jackets lube left on from cupping form may be enough for the swaging operation. A couple thousand jackets lightly lubed in the press feeder moving around would distribute lube evenly as they are being fed to the press. Dish soap does good here for a couple reasons, Its cheap. can be thinned down easily to distribute the perfect amount, pumps easily and flows thru misters well, Doesn't gum up tooling or equipment like some oils do.

Sierras operation while is swaging is much different from the home swagers in equipment materials speed and power.

These wax and oil formulae - how do you get them off the brass after you've sized it?
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Very easy to remove the sizing die wax from your loaded rounds. Just use an old tee shirt and it comes right off. Years back I bought some small white hand towels as seconds. Very cheap at the time. I've been using them for all sorts of jobs. Wash any of the hand towels or the red shop cloths first by themselves as you don't want pink drawers. Put in dryer set medium to high heat and let the dryer do its thing. A little bleach helps get rid of any dyes and other junk when they were made. When they get dirty only wash by themselves. Frank

When I resize cases with imperial I wipe them with a wet rag to remove it.

Boolit Master
    Klein Tools Premium Synthetic Wax Cable Pulling Lube 1-Quart $8 water based and doesn't need to be removed.
    https://www.ktool.net/klein-tools-51...0aAm2dEALw_wcB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast