Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much MEPLAT is enough

Quote Originally Posted by jsteed View Post
    I'm new and ignorant, so tell me what MEPLAT means ??? Thanks
    Reference the drawing in posts #24, 26 or 29.

The meplat is the .37" dimension parallel to the boolit's base; i.e., the flat part of the nose, sometimes referred to as the leading edge (unless one is careless enough to seat a boolit backwards).

MJ

P.S. Meplat is usually specified in terms of percent boolit shank diameter (or % groove diameter).
    Last edited by Marlin Junky; 03-02-2013 at 10:58 PM.

Thank you MJ
    The problem we have in our country today is there are more who vote for a living than work for a living !

A wise man's heart is at his right hand, but a fool's heart at his left. Eccl. 10:2

My .358 185gr WFN has a .280 meplat calculated as 78.2% of diameter. The people I had to field test this bullet reported great penetration and quick kills. Cast with foundry alloy at 15 BHN, 183gr as it drops from the mould.

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Banned

Beautiful bullet. What brand is the mold? For sure that is a good sized meplat.

NEI 4 cavity mould, but I've teamed up with a larger commercial bullet caster to begin production runs on their Magma Mark 8 machine so I can get back into mail order sales and keep up with demand.
    Last edited by Adam10mm; 03-07-2013 at 03:14 PM.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Boolit Master
    I don't suppose that you might have any particular info as to velocity of those loads that your customers used or if any used it in a rifle platform?

Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    My .358 185gr WFN has a .280 meplat calculated as 78.2% of diameter. The people I had to field test this bullet reported great penetration and quick kills. Cast with foundry alloy at 15 BHN, 183gr as it drops from the mould.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorfan View Post
    I don't suppose that you might have any particular info as to velocity of those loads that your customers used or if any used it in a rifle platform?
    Sure do. I loaded the bullets into ammunition and distributed it to them for testing with instruction to keep all shots inside 150y. The load generates 1400fps from a 6 inch Ruger GP100 and 1750fps from a Marlin 1894C (velocities 600ft above sea level, measured 3ft from the muzzle, rounded to nearest 5fps).

Live generously.

Boolit Master
    Sure do. I loaded the bullets into ammunition and distributed it to them for testing with instruction to keep all shots inside 150y. The load generates 1400fps from a 6 inch Ruger GP100 and 1750fps from a Marlin 1894C (velocities 600ft above sea level, measured 3ft from the muzzle, rounded to nearest 5fps).
    WOW, I'd like to see the load data for the 6" GP100. I have a similar boolit but I'm not quite comfortable pushing it that hard in my GP. I stopped at 1250fps.

14.5gr LilGun

Live generously.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty SRH View Post
    WOW, I'd like to see the load data for the 6" GP100. I have a similar boolit but I'm not quite comfortable pushing it that hard in my GP. I stopped at 1250fps.
    LilGun sure gets the velocity up, but I'm rather scared to try it with all the talk of throat erosion and such. Otherwise, I do have some of it left over from some experimenting I did several years ago, and it would go nicely with my 686 and Rossi 92 357. Just concerned about excessive heat and throat erosion.

Edit: For the occasional "hunting scenario" shot I'm not concerned, but for practice where my shots are fired in strings I can see the possibility of the need for a different combination.

Not enough experimentation has gone into figuring out how realistic the issue really is. Lot of people cite the guy from Freedom Arms, but that's FA's alloy at FA's pressures and not comparable to other production firearms and pressures.

My load is also a hunting load and I don't expect customers to shoot thousands of these rounds per year.

Live generously.

Boolit Master
    According to my chart LilGun burns similar to H110. I used H110 in developing my 1250fps load in my GP.
    How does LilGun compare to H110? Do you need a magnum primer for LilGun?

LG is slower than H110/W296, is more stable with lower charges (no 3% less than max rule), and higher velocity. You don't need a magnum primer, but that's usually what I have around anyway. LG is easier to ignite than H110/W296.

Live generously.

Boolit Master
    LG is slower than H110/W296, is more stable with lower charges (no 3% less than max rule), and higher velocity. You don't need a magnum primer, but that's usually what I have around anyway. LG is easier to ignite than H110/W296.
    Thanks thats good news.

Boolit Master
    Meplat size has absolutely nothing to do with sectional density, unless the nose expands to larger than bullet caliber.

A soft bullet at high enough velocity will create its own meplat as its nose deforms upon impact. The problem is that as the velocity decreases with range the meplat formed will become progressively smaller. A pre-formed meplat will maintain the same size all the way to impact regardless of the range.

Banned

This here is MIGHT be enough meplat. 44 cal

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    This here is MIGHT be enough meplat. 44 cal
    DANG!!!! That's more like a long wadcutter!

Nah. Anything less than 12 ga. (72 cal) is for sissies. Won't even kill tree rats. (P.S. It is a wadcutter.)
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Bub
    Like other terms these terms have come about from some other world's language and just stuck,boolit in American is bullet and I have seen it expand into other sites until I believe some gun people actually believe it is the correct American word,Meplat also came from somewhere strange but everybody uses it now it's American translation is " my bullets flat nose" ,it is shorter but oddly I find it odd to say,it does not roll off the tongue nicely,like " my bullets flat nose measures .360". When you use " Meplat" it leaves a clunky disturbance in the air and off your tongue,and even in my mind! I keep this to myself in mixed company however...oops!

Boolit Master
    For hard, non-deforming solids like monolithic copper and brass, a meplat diameter somewhere between 60 and 70% of shank diameter has proven by testing and verification to yield maximum bullet track stability and penetration. For cast lead- who knows? Chances are pretty good even hard cast at moderate impact velocity will deform somewhat beginning at impact. IF it starts out at 65% it will likely not remain pristine for long after entry- especially so if bone is hit. Then it becomes a subjective balancing act between amount of trauma due to bullet nose expansion and depth of penetration. Or if a deformable bullet hits hard bone, especially at an acute angle, all bets are off as to line of track and penetration. Of course and obviously the above points are purely academic and moot if discussing a 400-500 gr 45 cal cast bullet hitting a 150 lb whitetail. Then effectiveness becomes purely a matter of placement. If on the other hand it is a 170 gr 30 cal hitting a moose or elk or larger African PG, straight line penetration and depth of penetration are most assuredly neither academic nor moot.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast