Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .45 acp concealed carry, are there any real CC .45s?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by blademasterii View Post
    I have carried a Taurus pt145 for 5 years. It is a double stack 10+1 and comes in at 27 oz empty I think. It is thinner than the glock and just fits my hand better. The price is hard to beat too. They retail for 430 or so new. I also live in Florida and it conceals under a tshirt fine.
    I have this gun also and so far love it. A lot of people are against the Taurus but mine has worked perfectly with just about any loads so far. I have a couple friends in law enforcement who have tried it and they like it and may get one for off duty. The PT 745 is the same but in single stack so it's thinner. I did change the sights to a high viz type.

Groo here
    +1 for the Springfield XPs in 45.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I used to carry a full size .45 auto and never had a bit of problem hiding it.
    +1 My daily carry is a full size 1911 in a galco summer comfort inside the waistband holster.

Also barrel length isn't typically what makes a gun hard to conceal its the grip width and length that will make your gun print easily.

Boolit Buddy

Check out the Rock Island Compacts, have one, good gun and price not bad.

Boolit Grand Master

IMO, flat trumps all else for ease of concealment. A Colt SS Lightweight
    Commander, and with the Sparks Watch Six, it is perfect for me.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I carry a 5" 1911 lightweight .45 on and off duty, all the time. Have for years. The key is not the gun but the leather. I use Greg Kramer's Pro-Line holster and belt. The belt is double stitched horse hide from the breast of the horse, where the hide is the thickest. Then buy only pants with belt loops to accomodate the 1 1/4" belt.

Boolit Master

Ive been carring various 1911's for over 45 years including examples with 5", 4.25" and 3.5" barrels.. and im really a 1911 guy.
    The one was carring for the past 19 years is a Para ordance P12 3.5" barrel with a alumium frame , ed brown grip saftey & ambi saftey and trijucon night sights. I now prefer the single stacks over the dubl stack mags for CCW a few years ago a friend had me shoot his Kahr , i really liked it alot , in 2 years i have aquired 3 of them a PM9 , CW45and a TP45 I really like them and they are now my CCW guns and i have mostley retired my other 1911's for carry.
    All of my Kahr's are accurate & reliable after many thousands of rounds. I would give them a A+ rating !

I really wanted to like the Kahr 45. I love my P9 Covert, and paid a premium for the P45 when it first came out. I could not get a reliable one, and Kahr went above and beyond in trying to fix my problems, but I eventually traded the pistol at a loss for a Glock 30 that works every time but I can't shoot well. I'm heading back to the 1911 as my CCW platform, but am hoping to see a Springfield XDS Compact 45 soon.
    Tony

Boolit Master

BEFORE you buy anything, try out the Glock 36. Its a 6+1 compact, lightweight, powerhouse that is accurate. BTW, my 5'2", 98lb daughter is carrying mine right now stoked with Winchester Ranger ammo. Lone wolf even has a drop in aftermarket barrel for it if you're so inclined; also a threaded version. Just remember, your CCW is an "all day" carry affair.

Now, what do you feel like carrying now? Lol!

Good Luck, just my .02 worth.

HV
    Last edited by HiVelocity; 12-22-2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: sp?
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

Boolit Man
    I like my S&W M&P 45compact in a Crossbreed Supertuck deluxe.

Boolit Buddy
    colt combat commander depending on weather and rig easy to carry. tip get used to carrying it wear it around house an yard all the time so when you do carry in public it will feel natural.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Boolit Bub
    This is what I carry daily... Dan Weson VBOB .45Acp

Boolit Buddy
    Been carrying a new Springfield XD-S Tactical in a belly band for several weeks now. I really like it...........Mike

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not a great fan of the small 45. I have owned several, including a custom made "shorty" and my experience has been that they either don't shoot as well as a full size 5" 45 or else they don't hold up as well or both. The advantage of a smaller 45 is really quite small anyway is you are only losing an inch or two from the snout and maybe less than an inch in the handle. So for a minimal reduction in size, you usually give up some accuracy, some controllability and some reliability as the frame and slide stop take a beating from the lighter weight slide.

That has just been my experience, so I just obt for a regular size 1911 and find it really no more difficult to conceal than a smaller version unless I'm wearing shorts.
    In these parts, often one's very life may depend on a mere scrap of information.

Boolit Bub

45 acp

Get a S&W MP 45 Compact and don't look back! Even the 1911 pales in comparison. And you won't be broke afterwards.
    "One man with a gun, can control 100 without one." Vladimir Lenin

Banned
    I carry a Para P12 for everyday use...when dressing up, I do carry something a bit slimmer. Easy to conceal, at least for me, under any medium weight pullover shirt. Holster is made by me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0017.jpg  

Boolit Bub
    I've rented a kahr cw45 and shot 40 rounds, I was pleased with it. I carried the government 1911 in the army as well, even concealed at times. for ccw, I would go with the kahr, much thinner and smaller.

I ended up switching to .40 s&w and have a kahr cw40 and am pleased with it.

L Ross
    I wore my Glock 36 for 4 years in plain clothes under a sport coat, now it is my CCW in a Crossbreed IWB. Light, flat, comfortable, accurate, and powerful, oh yeah, ugly as a mud fence.

Duke

Boolit Buddy
    my wintertime carry is a fusion 1911 5' in a milt sparks vm2 on a jerry bissell belt carries very well . summertime i switch back to my kahr pm9 in a galco summer heat iwb carries very well also. i believe i will try the fusion 5' 1911 this summer and see how it feels/looks tks ken

Banned
    Sounds like you want one of these: http://us.glock.com/products/model/g36

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast