RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: My new TC Maxi-Ball casts *pic heavy*

My new TC Maxi-Ball casts *pic heavy*

I just aquired a .54/ 430gr TC Maxi Ball mould and cast up some from pure lead. Now I've never fired a Maxi ball or Plains bullet from any of my muzzleloaders, just Lee REAL's and round ball so I dont know how they will shoot. And seeing what the Lyman and discontinued TC moulds sell for I was pretty excited to cast these up. So after I casted 2 doz of these I went to work with how to lube these up. I used a tin, fill with a mixture of TC Bore butter amd Lee Liquid Alox (75:25). Placed the Maxi balls in the tin, poured the heated mixture over to fill to the top lube band and let cool. I then used the conical holder portion of a TC quick load and slid it over the maxi ball to extract it out of the hardened lube and used to conical seater from the quick load to push it out and voila!!

Here if I aint gone,, Were there's a gator in the bushes & SHE"S callin my name
    Looks Great,,, Ought to shoot great too ; )

H/D

I had a Lyman Plains bullet in 54 and It KICKED too much for fun shooting but probably was a good game bullet.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Boolit Master
    It's Muzzleloader Season here in Arkansas. My Renegade is loaded with a Maxi and 90 grains of Pyrodex "P". It does recoil much more than patched round ball but I get good accuracy and it will put the hurt on anything you shoot with it. However, they also shoot to a different POA, so adjustable sights are desirable.

Winelover

Quote Originally Posted by excess650 View Post
    I've shot PRBs, maxi-balls, maxi-hunters, and Lee REAL from 50cal. My preference on the conicals is the 250gr version of the REAL, and the maxi-ball is 2nd.

What MLer are you going to shoot them from? Moose?
    This the MLer I'll be using, TC Grey Hawk and yes, for moose, Elk & deer

And this is the group I got with her today with 100grs Goex ffg @ 100yds. It was raining so my shots were a little hurried;

Perm-Banned
    huntsman: what is the length of those bullets?

Quote Originally Posted by johnson1942 View Post
    huntsman: what is the length of those bullets?
    Approx .905"

Perm-Banned
    thank you for your post

I like the idea of the Bore butter amd Lee Liquid Alox blend. Looks a lot less sticky/messy and using Bore Butter by itself. I bet you know it when the .54 goes off.

Quote Originally Posted by hornady308 View Post
    I like the idea of the Bore butter amd Lee Liquid Alox blend. Looks a lot less sticky/messy and using Bore Butter by itself. I bet you know it when the .54 goes off.
    The blend is nice to work with and tonite I mixed it even better by adding some emergency candles I had. I cut about 1/2" off the end of the stick (removed wick) and added to the tin over the stove. Its a little harder. I did up another 2 doz.
    Well, when it goes off or went off it was'nt that bad. I was wearing a t-short, long sleeve long john shirt, flannel shirt, fleece jacket and my jean jacket. So any recoil was absorbed thru the layers And the TC Grey Hawk wears a rubber recoil pad too.....Now, my TC Hawken on the other hand, wears the ever forgiving brass butt plate

I shoot a Maxi-Hunter out of my .54 Renegade. I have both molds, but never tried the Maxi-Ball because the hunter shot dang near three holes touching. I like your way of lubing though. I just dip mine in 50/50 beeswax/lard. Its messy, but works good.

Now you just need to let the air out of something with those. Something I have yet to do with any ML this season.

Boolit Buddy Sergeant Earthworm's Avatar
    Thanks for your post, very slick (pun intended).

I do have a question, though. I've used bore butter as bullet lube with good success, however, I can't help noting that after the first couple of shots the bore butter melts as soon as it contacts the warm barrel. Doesn't that mean the powder is going to absorb some of that melted bore butter with the result being less than completely burned powder? Would the alox/BB combination tend to do the same thing? Is this a concern?

Thanks.

not sure whom made my maxi ball mold ( it aint purty but cast decent but i'm the sprue cutter :P ) it's one of the few castings i pan lube and i use a modified version of dick dastardly's pearl lube ( the recipe is in the recipe thread ) the boolits i tend to affectionately call "mere lube grooves " ( because that seems like that's all there are to'em :P ) here's a foto

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post1714893

i've tried them with just the LLA and fair results but i didnt shoot long strings ( perhaps 10-15 total ) good luck with your hunt and on getting a grey hawk ! ( i've always liked those !! not traditional per say but sweet none the less !! )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Earthworm View Post
    Thanks for your post, very slick (pun intended).

I do have a question, though. I've used bore butter as bullet lube with good success, however, I can't help noting that after the first couple of shots the bore butter melts as soon as it contacts the warm barrel. Doesn't that mean the powder is going to absorb some of that melted bore butter with the result being less than completely burned powder? Would the alox/BB combination tend to do the same thing? Is this a concern?

Thanks.
    This is my 1st time trying this sort of thing. I used just BB and had the same problem with barrel heat. I'm hoping that this mixture will not melt quite so easily like you had mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by fryboy View Post
    not sure whom made my maxi ball mold ( it aint purty but cast decent but i'm the sprue cutter :P ) it's one of the few castings i pan lube and i use a modified version of dick dastardly's pearl lube ( the recipe is in the recipe thread ) the boolits i tend to affectionately call "mere lube grooves " ( because that seems like that's all there are to'em :P ) here's a foto

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post1714893

i've tried them with just the LLA and fair results but i didnt shoot long strings ( perhaps 10-15 total ) good luck with your hunt and on getting a grey hawk ! ( i've always liked those !! not traditional per say but sweet none the less !! )
    Thanks "Fryboy"

Great job! Where can you still get the mould?

Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    Great job! Where can you still get the mould?
    Well, lucky me when I bought a TC Greyhawk off a guy who was getting completely out of black powder/muzzleloading he included it, nib, with everything else he had.