MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tactical Match loads for '03 and CBs

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cropcirclewalker
    ........Now my question......

If a guy was to work up some loads (I guess varying the velocity mostly) that were tuned in to distance. (Get it?)

1 load for 100 yds
    another load for 200 yds
    another different entirely load for 300 yds.......and like that.........
    Could a guy just....
    estimate the distance and then reach into the ammo can and select the round based on its distance and fire away?

I guess we must be talking serious load work, but perhaps with some minor changes in the elevation adjustment on the scope.

Has anybody tried anything of such nature?

You adjust the load in the brass based on the distance to shoot, not to adjust the clicks on the scope........
    Cropcirclewalker

JSH, Bob S and garandsrus give excellent info. Many high power shooters, myself included, will have a load for the 200 and 300 yard line and then a different load for the 600/1000 yard line. This requires different zero for the different ammo at the different range.

That leads me to your next question/statement: "You adjust the load in the brass based on the distance to shoot, not to adjust the clicks on the scope."

At the ranges you mentioned in the first post (out to 700 yards) some very serious elevation/sight changes are necessary with cast bullets. I mentioned earlier that most scopes do not have the 57+ MOA adjustment to take you from a 100 yard zero to a 700 yard zero. It will not be feasable to "adjust the load in the brass based on the distance to shoot, not to adjust the clicks on the scope." You will indeed have to adjust the scope/sights even when going from 100 to 200 yards even with different loads.

As an example; I use the Lee 312-155 over 6.5 gr Bullseye to sort of duplicate the "Guard"load in my '03s. It runs 1120 fps and is very accurate and pleasant to shoot. I have been know to plink out to 500 yards with it using the ladder sight on the '03A1. The zeros for it are completely different than those for the previously discussed 311299. I also have used the 311299 for "cat's sneeze' loads as low as 300 fps which takes up a whole lot of rear sight elevation (most of it actually) just to zero at 50 yards.

It was suggested to KISS and use one load for your tactical matches. I concur as you will have enough "fun" tracking the different sight settings at the different ranges let alone tryimng to figure out correction for the wind.

Larry Gibson

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob S
    A disadvantge of the K31 (and Mausers, and most foreign rifles) is that the rear sights have no windage adjustment, and are crudely adjustable for elevation.
    Have you heard of a fineadjuster for the Swiss sights. Its offered in several styles for windage and elevation.

Swiss sights

Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1
    Have you heard of a fineadjuster for the Swiss sights. Its offered in several styles for windage and elevation.
    Yes, I have several. Also two different clamp-on receiver sights. None of these are allowed in as-issued vintage competition.

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Do they allow you to regulate those vintage sights.

About the only "regulating" you can do is that you may vary the height of the front sight blade. Altering the sight bed would probably be considered an illegal modification.

The rule book is posted here:

http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Rulebook-booklet.pdf

Don't confuse the rules for Excellence-in-Competition and the National Trophy Matches with those for "as-issued" service rifles. They are very different.

Some local clubs run non-sanctioned matches using the CMP rules, but with some "relaxations", like adding a category for "modified" rifles, so guys can use the Swedes or Swiss with diopters or finesight adjusters, or a Mauser or Springfield with a Lyman 48 or 57 on the back, but otherwise still in "military" configuration.

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12