RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hollow Points

Boolit Bub

Hollow Points

I have never tried casting hollow points. How difficult is it to make good hollow points?
    Am looking at the Milhec 452374 and the NOE 452. Is one system easier than the other? Crammer or NOE?

Boolit Grand Master

It's not difficult to cast HP's but there is one truth that must be adhered to or failure is certain.

The HP pins MUST be kept HOT. A cool pin will result in a very poor nose fill-out and difficult to drop boolits. Notice I said the pin needs to be kept hot, NOT the alloy in the pot. 700-725 degrees is fine for alloy temp. The pins have very little mass compared to the mold and cool quickly, keep casting to keep the pins hot. Inspect your boolits later.

Cramer or NOE? I prefer the Cramer style myself but that is probably nothing more than I am far more experienced with this style, just used to them is all.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Eriks inset bar is the best.its worth buying a std mold and have him do the work.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Boolit Bub
    Would a 2 cavity be easier to keep the pins hot enough?

Boolit Man
    I have Mihec 358-125HP & 402-190HP 4 cav molds. They should be pre-heated on a hot plate. Keep mold just below frosty bullet temps and the pins take care of them selves.

Boolit Master

I bought a MiHec 360180 in the recent group buy. Never did hps before but I was amazed at how easy the Cramer system is to use. Only complaint is my choice of a 4 cavity brass mold, very heavy at the end of a pair of Lee 6 cavity handles. Tim

Boolit Master

Think about it like this:

After you learn how,

it is not difficult to cast good hollow point bullets,

but it a lot easier to cast bad ones.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

In Remembrance

Preheating and fast casting are the hollowpoint's friend.

Boolit Master

I have noticed on my pentagon molds that you have to make sure that the molds is parallel to the drop cloth. If I hold the mold at any kind of an angle, I end up with the pentagon hole not being centered. I usually open the mold, tap the pins so the boolit is away from the mold and count to three. This seems to let the lead solidify more and keep things looking good. If I can cast up HP's you can also.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

The Cramer style or Erik's bar are the easiest to cast w/, but the single pin Lyman system works fine, just slower. I find casting HP not much diff than solids. Heat things up, keep them hot & cast. There are often more rejects do to voids, but it's not like I shoot a ton of LHP.
    Last edited by fredj338; 12-28-2012 at 05:43 PM.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master

With a good Cramer mold like on converted by Erik or a MP Cramer, it is moderately slower than
    without, but not too difficult - ONCE YOU LEARN HOW.

Frankly, I suspect that 99.9% of all cast HPs are just punching a piece of tagboard and into the
    berm exactly like their solid pointed brothers. Unless you are hunting or going to carry them for
    self defense, I suggest that they bring little to the party, esp for the new guy.

OTOH, if you want to learn and just WANT them, have at it. I just think a lot of folks get
    enamored of the HP molds (which ARE works of art in many cases!) and make more
    work for themselves and more expense for no real benefit because they are only punching
    holes in cardboard or cans. Of course, I have a number of them, but I do not use them
    as primary target boolits, for me they are for SD in certain cartridges where I have
    tested them and know they will work extremely well.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

My son came down from Tempe to hang with me on Labor Day. Well, actually, he wanted me to cast him some 45 boolits. So I got out my MH -374 clone, put in the round HP pins, and cast up about 400 or so, after which I allowed him to use the Star to lube/size. That mold is a wonder - I turned out 4 perfect HP boolits about every 10-12 seconds! I cast some for myself out of 97-3 alloy, but Jim's were made from WW+2%. Both alloys worked just fine...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Question Hollow Point follow up question

can anyone post a pic of the cast hollow points
    thanks
    -The GA Shark Man

"When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die"
    "Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes"
    "We the Willing, Led by the Unknowing, Do what is Necessary, For the Ungrateful" - Unknown

Boolit Master

booger - Yes, for me, the 2 cav's are easier to keep the pins hot enough for all to work well. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

I find that bull plate on the pin helps a lot.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

Agree with MTgun44 at least to a degree. I like rifle HP's for hunting, but am beginning to believe that the hollow should be about half of what is standard for most HP pins. I like rifle HP's for postal matches, but they are difficult to get accurate (exact) weights, and in order to get what I want, I cast AT Least 100 to segregate by weight. Being at best a marginal handgunner, and I don't hunt with one, I see no big advantage for me to cast/shoot handgun HP's. However if you are a serious handgun hunter, HP's might be the cats a$$ for you.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    Being a handgun and rifle hunter I prefer HPs in both, however my rifles are small and 1/4" deep. I may take a 1/16" off of that someday. My 44 and 45 molds have Erik's hybrid cup point. After using them I'm thinking the standard cup point is plenty.

I consistently get good expansion going in and at the least a calibre size wadcutter hole going out. Very much like a Nosler partition

I do have a big HP pin for my 311041 for coyotes. Only shot one with it so far but it worked fine.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master
    I prefer the Cramer style to the RG style, but only because it make preheat on a hot-plate easier.

for pistol calibers, I like my HP bullets to be soft and large in diameter. That's the combination that gives me the best results, others will disagree.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master

I have a2 cavity NOE 360-180 & run it fast & the alloy at 810f.

They fall off , it`s a big mold for a 2 holer & disipates the heat just fine.
    GP100man

Boolit Buddy
    Eric fixed me up with a 358156 and a 454190 hollow pointed molds and have never had a problem....well OK don't try to remove a bullet in a cooled off mold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast