Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingPBcastco
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Musings on the #4 and Garand

No.4 Mk I

Bruce,

Thanks a lot for the information and site for further research. I'll be going there right away.

I've already purchased the long range sight staff for a No.4 and look forward to shooting it over our Buffalo Rifle course of fire in "Military" class.

I'll post results as I get them, good afternoon,
    Forrest

Guns America

Bruce,

OK, I've gone over there and found several possiblities.

Here's hoping there will be suitable responce.

Good afternoon,
    Forrest

No.4 Mk I

I now find myself looking rather hard for a prime-condition Long Branch (Canadian) #4 rifle. These are generally accepted to be the best of all the #4 rifles

Bruce,

Well, I went over and looked into Guns America and right there in the "New this week" location I found your Long Branch Canadain #4!

So just like you recomended, I bought it.

I don't know if its your old issue rifle but I'll let you know when it arrives!

Bruce says: #4 Rifles are great fun to own and shoot, and still a lot less-expensive than similar-vintage Springfields or other US military rifles. Non-wartime #4 rifles seem to have better quality control on such things as bore diameters, etc.

F: I have ordered and received the long range sights for No.4's and look forward to shooting this one over our long range slihouette course out to 1000 yards.

There are even a long range Military Rifle matchs, run according to Buffalo Rifle rules here in my area. Lots of fun over ranges running out to 800 yards.

Good morning,
    Forrest

The Long Branch in action

The No.4 Mk I "Long Branch" has arrived. All matching numbers, including the stock, mint bore, excellent overall condition.

I installed the match rear sight and took it shooting. My load was 21 grains SR4759 and the old Ideal 311284; the really old mold that casts at 0.314. Perfect for the 303.

Initial shooting easily provided 2 minute accuracy off a crude rest.

Subsiquent shooting over our long range course which has ten targets from 395 yards on out to 834 yards have proven that the load and rifle already work so well that I can only say how very happy I am with the way things sometimes come together. And! I have not even worked on perfecting the loading combination yet.

Good afternoon,
    Forrest

Banned
    Forrest

Looking at my Lyman cast manual, which doesn't list the 7mm-06, but does list the 280 Rem, which is very close...but doesn't have a load for the powder you chose. So I looked at the 7x57 and it did have a load with a 162 gr bullet of max of 25 grs that gave it a hair over 2000 fps. Now you case is larger and you used less powder, so less pressure and velocity. So how do you figure that less then 2000 fps is the limit of water quenched WW's?

I was shooting bullets made of water quenched WW's a lot hotter and faster then 2000 fps and getting good results.

Joe

Now, I'm wondering what you mean!

Looking at my Lyman cast manual, which doesn't list the 7mm-06, but does list the 280 Rem, which is very close...but doesn't have a load for the powder you chose.

StarMetal,

I'm puzzeled by your post.

I did not say anything about 7mm/06 at all! Only some vague mention of what I'd loaded into a 303 British cartridge. Can you explain this thing to me?

I'd be happy to help of course, but need to know the original question.

Good afternoon,
    Forrest

Banned
    FAsmus

I too am puzzled. I put that post in the wrong place. Hey man I really appologize..sorry. I hope I didn't drive you crazy on that one. I believe that post goes to the fellow that built that real fine looking rifle with the lovely wood work.

Keep up the good long range shooting pardner.

Joe

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar

What brand?

Quote Originally Posted by FAsmus
    The No.4 Mk I "Long Branch" has arrived. All matching numbers, including the stock, mint bore, excellent overall condition.

I installed the match rear sight and took it shooting. My load was 21 grains SR4759 and the old Ideal 311284; the really old mold that casts at 0.314. Perfect for the 303.

Initial shooting easily provided 2 minute accuracy off a crude rest.

Subsiquent shooting over our long range course which has ten targets from 395 yards on out to 834 yards have proven that the load and rifle already work so well that I can only say how very happy I am with the way things sometimes come together. And! I have not even worked on perfecting the loading combination yet.

Good afternoon,
    Forrest
    4759 is a DuPont Powder isn't it? We can't get them here nowadays, and I don't remember seeing 4759 even when they were available. ADI who produce our military powders and powders for reloaders and powders under license for Hodgson told me a few years ago that one of their powders had an identical burn rate, but only takes up half the volume. I haven't tried it as yet.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    4759 is a DuPont Powder isn't it? We can't get them here nowadays, and I don't remember seeing 4759 even when they were available. ADI who produce our military powders and powders for reloaders and powders under license for Hodgson told me a few years ago that one of their powders had an identical burn rate, but only takes up half the volume. I haven't tried it as yet.
    4FoD,
    I know this is a really old post, but what powder was it that had the same burn rate as 4759?

4759 is pretty scarce around here.

Paul in WNY
    Think you can, or think you can't. Either way your right.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by catmandu View Post
    4FoD,
    I know this is a really old post, but what powder was it that had the same burn rate as 4759?

4759 is pretty scarce around here.

Paul in WNY
    Catmandu,
    I am not Four Fingers,just saw your post,after looking at the ADI powder guide,the closest powder would be H4227.
    Mike.

Boolit Grand Master
    IIRC Accurate 5744 is close. 4759 has been discontinued

Boolit Buddy
    ADI who produce our military powders and powders for reloaders and powders under license for Hodgson told me a few years ago that one of their powders had an identical burn rate, but only takes up half the volume.

I was hoping it was a surplus powder.....
    Think you can, or think you can't. Either way your right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12