RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Casting hot glue boolits

Blasted hellish frozen northern wastelands, AKA Minnesota
    I used to shoot a lot of the "Excalibre" .44 SWC wax bullets out of my .44 mag blackhawk. These came 500 to the box, each box had six .44 special cases that had been modified so a shotgun primer could be seated by hand pressure, and later de-primed with a stick (I used my Lee Loader, just pushing the primers out by hand).

They were plenty accurate for shooting pop cans at 50' in the back yard, and the wax bullet hitting the cans was louder than the sound of the shot. The wax bullets usually penetrated one side of an aluminum can at that range. Their only drawback was that I had used up all the wax remover for my cross country skiis for cleaning my pistol after going through a few boxes of these!

I just dug out the last 150 of these and my Lee loader from the back of the gun room. I'm going to put them on "swappin and sellin" if anyone is interested...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...559#post516559
    Last edited by Bert2368; 03-11-2009 at 02:42 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    OK I finally got a video of me killing cans with my plastic bullets! I'm starting to think my dog has suicidal tendencies!
    http://radar.net/people/DelStacy24/p...from=/my-radar

...and a couple photos
    http://radar.net/people/DelStacy24/post/2865750

http://radar.net/people/DelStacy24/post/2865765

Boolit Bub
    i have used wax bullets in my 38 and it really makes the gun very dirty does the glue ones do the same

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by shickf3 View Post
    i have used wax bullets in my 38 and it really makes the gun very dirty does the glue ones do the same
    I have only shot 25 or 30 of them, but it is an issue I'm watching out for.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by shickf3 View Post
    The answer is yes, They do gunk up the barrel a bit, but I came up with a solution for that! I just fire up a few of my special rounds at the end of every shooting session.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...3&postcount=19

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    This is how I cast my GB's, I did this in my dorm room a few weeks back. This bullet is for my 1911 45 ACP, mold is a Lee Double Caivty RNFP 255gr lead bullet, glue cast they weigh 20grs.

1. Lube the mold cavity, I used vegatable oil applied with a tooth brush, very light coat this was all we had in our room.

2. With open spur plate shot the cavity full of glue.

3. Turn and put the mold in the freezer right away

4. Take the mold out after about a minute

5. Pop open the mold bullets fall right out because of the oil

6. Repeat.

7. As the mold is in the freezer, I took a utility knife and cut off base at the last lube band.

8. Leave them out for an hour on the country to harden up completely.

Case Prep.

1. Pick out 50 or so cases, mark the case head with a black marker to set them apart.

2. Drill out primer pockets to 1/8"

3. Prime Case, I am using Magnum Large Rifle Primers because we had 2 packs under the bench and no other reason to use them

4. Either hand seat the GB with finger pressure, or just set up your die in your press and seat them like a normal bullet.

This is my method, it works for me, when shooting a GB make sure there is a light coat of gun oil/lube so the GB doesnt get stuck in the barrel, happened to me with my dads Ruger, punched the bullet out without a problem, I have yet to have a problem with my 1911 and suspect I will not.

6 paces in my garage 10 shots

Again these are not toys, I posted this picture a month or so ago when I first started playing with them, it is GRAPHIC/BLOODY, shots were first 5 to 6 yards, after animal was dead I tried point blank just to see GB did punch a hole in his side.

This was with just primers, no powder, 2 shots in the dome an it was lights out on this guy.

Tomorrow I will try a rifle bullet. I wish I had my Savage 340 30-30 in working condition right now would be perfect for this test. Has anyone tried to seat a gas check yet on a GB?
    DK17HMR - With your permission, I would like to reprint this verbatim in the LeverGuns.com blogsite. OK with all?

Moderator Emeritus

Air these glue boolits air cooled or water dropped?

:P
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Trey45 View Post
    Air these glue boolits air cooled or water dropped?

:P
    I think I read that some people are putting the mold in the freezer for a short time.

Boolit Master

When I shoot wax bullets in one of my .357mags, I add a bit of whatever powder I have handy... Lately, I've been using a scoop that I made from a .32 brass... With the wax alloy that I've been using, it ends up making it into a wax splatter after 20 ft or so... If my dogs are barking at deer on the other side of the fence at night and they don't shut up after I tell them, I shoot them with one of the wax rounds... Don't know if it makes it all the way out there to the back fence, but if it does, it's just wax droplets or wax powder by that point... They shut up and I go back to sleep...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by grumman581 View Post
    When I shoot wax bullets in one of my .357mags, I add a bit of whatever powder I have handy... Lately, I've been using a scoop that I made from a .32 brass... With the wax alloy that I've been using, it ends up making it into a wax splatter after 20 ft or so... If my dogs are barking at deer on the other side of the fence at night and they don't shut up after I tell them, I shoot them with one of the wax rounds... Don't know if it makes it all the way out there to the back fence, but if it does, it's just wax droplets or wax powder by that point... They shut up and I go back to sleep...
    Wax blanks? Cool!

Boolit Mold
    Out at the range this morning my wife brought me a CCI Blazer case in 45 ACP, she knows all of her 45 ACP's use large primers, but this one had a small one, it was also boxer primed. figuring CCI was using something off the wall for the small diameter primer i didn't give it much thought. She brought it home with her.
    I knocked the primer out of it and measured the pocket, then seated a standard small pistol primer in it, it is way below the base of the case, but I think it will work for these glooboolits. I really wouldn't want to reload one of those aluminum cases with powder, but for this type of project?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfreak25 View Post
    If you add just a tiny bit if powder, you can use some toilet paper rolled up lenghtwise, then placed into the case to protect the bullet base.

Does anyone know if these will work in a 30 inch barrel in a .40+ cal centerfire rifle? I imagine i'd have to use a tiny bit of powder at the very least to get it down such a long barrel.
    Tom, are you thinking of this for your Gahendra?

Hey Doug, didn't know you were a member here. When I posted that, it was back before I started reloading for my 71/84 I was in the process of restoring. I've lost interest in glue boolits since then though.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

wow i'm not using my precious primers on gooballs

Cold weather is coming...anyone start yet?

Quote Originally Posted by bohokii View Post
    wow i'm not using my precious primers on gooballs
    This may be a good use for old primers by using the match heads to "rebuild" primers as mentioned in a previous thread. Then the cost would only be a box of strike any where matches and a stick of glue.
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, looks like I just found a use for all those recycled primers recovered from years of de-priming the occasional goof. I just cast a bunch of hot glue .38 wadcutters from a Lee sixbanger, drilled the primer holes on some brass I wasn't using and shot em through my 6" gp100 in the garage. Great close up accuracy and a cheap way to practice revolver double action shooting! What fun!
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive".

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierlogger View Post
    This may be a good use for old primers by using the match heads to "rebuild" primers as mentioned in a previous thread. Then the cost would only be a box of strike any where matches and a stick of glue.

Care to go into detail???

Quote Originally Posted by ironcowboy View Post
    Care to go into detail???
    See this thread.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ised+munitions
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast