MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxPBcastcoWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Casting hot glue boolits

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by manleyjt View Post
    Kelly00

more info on how you froze the pykerete? It is an interesting subject. One of the lost building materials.

I'll create a write up on the whole process with pictures if there's interest. I don't think it fits the scope of this thread though.

I probably shouldn't have said anything here, I don't want to steal the thunder from the glue guys.

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=kellyj00;254369]I've got 6 45acp bullets made of pykerete that we mixed and froze.......QUOTE]

I'm just trying to figure out what you do with the frozen feathers...

Boy, You guys are really getting into this thing. I used to be content with just pressing a .38spl. case into a block of paraffin, the kind sold in super markets for making jelly. Didn't drill out the flash hole, was afraid I'd get them mixed up with regular cases.
    I also used to shoot my 1911 with sheet rock nails that I'd wrapped with masking tape, to .45 dia.,leaving about 1/4" of the point sticking out. They used to stick into a sheet of plywood pretty well. I also fabricated an adapter out of two cases and a ball point pen ink tube, to shoot a single birdshot using primer power. Got this idea from those "Real powder charged lead bullet firing "Lugers", using .12MG of powder" they used to sell out of the back pages of magazines. Turned up it was a plastic pistol, and it used a cap gun cap to propel a single lead birdshot, or a BB, I don't remember which.
    I used the BB adapter and the sheet rock nails as a young buck, to shoot targets with my 1911 (unregistered), in my living room in Brooklyn.
    Morgan

P.S. I'll go down to the shop and see if I can find the .45acp BB adapter, and post a photo.

Boolit Master

Kellyj00,

good plan I will try to watch for the posting. I had not seen much on pykerete since it was mentioned in a mechanics of materials class. It is interesting topic.

Boolit Man
    manleyjt: do a search for it on youtube. That's where I get all the materials engineering I've ever needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Astorbilt View Post
    Boy, You guys are really getting into this thing. I used to be content with just pressing a .38spl. case into a block of paraffin, the kind sold in super markets for making jelly. Didn't drill out the flash hole, was afraid I'd get them mixed up with regular cases.
    I also used to shoot my 1911 with sheet rock nails that I'd wrapped with masking tape, to .45 dia.,leaving about 1/4" of the point sticking out. They used to stick into a sheet of plywood pretty well. I also fabricated an adapter out of two cases and a ball point pen ink tube, to shoot a single birdshot using primer power. Got this idea from those "Real powder charged lead bullet firing "Lugers", using .12MG of powder" they used to sell out of the back pages of magazines. Turned up it was a plastic pistol, and it used a cap gun cap to propel a single lead birdshot, or a BB, I don't remember which.
    I used the BB adapter and the sheet rock nails as a young buck, to shoot targets with my 1911 (unregistered), in my living room in Brooklyn.
    Morgan

P.S. I'll go down to the shop and see if I can find the .45acp BB adapter, and post a photo.
    About the first gun I ever shot was a trapdoor .45-70. My brother-inlaw loaded it with wax bullets and we were sitting on the living room sofa, shooting a pumpkin that was sitting on the kitchen floor. My sister came home and damned near had a stroke. Good times.

Found one of my .45acp BB adapters, and took a few photos. Not wanting to hijack this thread, I posted them, along with the details of how I made them, in a post called Indoor Pistol Practice, in the Special Projects forum.
    Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Possum View Post
    Do I have to ream out the flash holes in the brass?
    In a revolver drilling out the flash holes is a nessesity. Probably doesn't hurt with other platforms as well.

Additional info on hot glue bullets can be found by doing a search on this forum for "Gluelits"

For me it also works best in a revolver to push the gluelit ALL THE WAY down in the case.

Kev

OK, this is a bit off topic , but how far off is this from frangilble bullets. It sounds like a good place to start , especially since everyone has been messing with a matrix that would hold the metal powder in place. And it would have the advantage of not being destroyed when to much pressure was put onto the crimp groove when reloading. I know that your discussion has given me some pretty good ideas.

Boolit Master
    How do the gluelits behave on impact. Shatter" Splatter? Expand?

Would they kill tree squirrels humanely? Being so light the danger space from overhead firing should be considerably reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by BAGTIC View Post
    How do the gluelits behave on impact. Shatter" Splatter? Expand?

Would they kill tree squirrels humanely? Being so light the danger space from overhead firing should be considerably reduced.
    From distances of 10 yards or less I would guess that they would kill bunnies and squirrels. One forum member killed a possum with them by shooting it in the head. Accuracy and the lack of mass in the bullet would limit the range out of a handgun. Because the projectile is soft you will likely bludgeon the animal to death rather than killing it with penetration. Personally I feel that a 22 or 22 short offers little danger from the projectile coming down from overhead shooting because the bullet lacks any real mass.

On contact with hard surfaces the gluelit either rebounds, with considerable authority, or shatters. However they easily penetrate a couple of layers of corrogated cardboard at 7 yards.

Kev

Boolit Buddy

?

Shot some yesterday out of a 45 Blackhawk. The casings did not have the flash hole drilled out. The primers backed out and hung the cylinder up. If I drill the flash holes to 1/8 " will that stop the primer body from backing out? By the way, they penetrated a cardboard box and made a good indentation in the back of the box.

hmmm this could be great pest control for really close varmints that get into our garage. can't shoot em cause you don't want to ruin the floor but some of em beat our cats up pretty bad.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by KevMT View Post
    Personally I feel that a 22 or 22 short offers little danger from the projectile coming down from overhead shooting because the bullet lacks any real mass.
    I grew up reading those .22 box flaps that said: "Danger! Range 1 mile. Be careful." I'm more concerned about shooting up at an angle than straight up, as the bullet still has forward velocity when it comes down. Shooting up in trees with a .22 has always seemed risky to me, unless you're in one of the increasingly rare areas with vast, unpopulated terrain.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    I grew up reading those .22 box flaps that said: "Danger! Range 1 mile. Be careful." I'm more concerned about shooting up at an angle than straight up, as the bullet still has forward velocity when it comes down. Shooting up in trees with a .22 has always seemed risky to me, unless you're in one of the increasingly rare areas with vast, unpopulated terrain.
    Just a note on that. I do not know exact numbers but if you fire a .22 straight up at one point the bullet will come to a complete stop and start falling back down. When a bullet is fired from a rifle it is moving beyond its terminal velocity (The speed at which an object in free fall will not go any faster). Terminal velocity is based on mass therefore for something the size of a .22 bullet it's mass will be relatively low. The bullet may leave the barrel at near 2000 fps but once it starts falling back down it no longer is being acted upon by the force of the powder charge, and the only thing moving the bullet at this point will be gravity. I would imagine that being hit by a .22 bullet in free fall at it's terminal velocity would not feel very good but I would doubt that it would be enough to even render a person unconscious. Granted there are other factors involved and a larger bullet could have the potential to be lethal. There are known cases of deaths from bullets fired into the air as well. If anybody really wants it I can get some supporting info for this if I.
    "PLEASE DO NOT TEST THIS, AS I SAID PEOPLE HAVE DIED FROM BULLETS FIRED IN THE AIR AND MY ASSUMPTION IS BASED ON A VERY SMALL BULLET"
    Last edited by Saint; 12-16-2007 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Added disclaimer

Smile

Firing at an angle below vertical, bullets don't come down at terminal velocity. They still have significant forward velocity. The vector result is a speed higher than terminal velocity in free fall. The slowest it can get is when it's lost all forward velocity and is falling straight down at terminal velocity. (This is all in air, forget the theoretical stuff in a vacuum.)

Several years ago, around this season, I was sitting at my computer yakking as I am now, when to my left at the window I heard a loud WHACK as though someone had hit the brick just below the windowsill with a hammer. Best I could tell, a stray bullet (most likely fired from a car window by a drunken yahoo on The Volunteer Parkway a mile and a half away) had come down here. From the sound of it, it would've done a lot of damage had it connected.

I think it's generally irresponsible to shoot a rifle or pistol at a target up in a tree. I use shotguns for that.

Agreed completely. This info was based on my physics training and the assumption that the bullet is being shot perfectly straight up which is nearly impossible as the bullet will always have some kind of an arc. Did not want to make it seem like I was disagreeing I just thought it was some fun theoretical science stuff. Anybody who is irresponsible enough to be shooting into the air near a populated are has no business owning a firearm.

Back on topic though. I managed to cast up some pretty good gluelits with a .454 and a .50 RB mould but unfortunately muzzleloader primers do not have the necessary power to get the gluelit down even my c&b revolver barrel so if anybody is thinking of trying this with a muzzleloader it probably wont work.

Smile

Probably need a teeny bit of powder for that. I suspect that could be the case for any revolver, with the gas leaking out of the cylinder gap.

I have considered that but firing off even primers in an apartment is pushing what the neighbors will tolerate. Probably just have to load up my guns and head to the range anyway. I have not been shooting in months and I am having withdraw symptoms. I am just not thrilled with the idea of riding my motorcycle in freezing weather. When you ride in the winter the first body part that freezes is the last part you want frozen.

Smile

Get an air gun.

I've got no sympathy about the cold motorcycling. I used to ride my Harley and bicycle in all sorts of weather.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast