Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxPBcastcoRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Casting hot glue boolits

Boolit Grand Master
    UTK,
    You can call it injection molding, casting or just squirtin' glue in a mold, whatever suits you.

Scottie,
    Not sure, but I think somebody already brought that up. If the mold is bought and used EXCLUSIVELY for making gluelits, I'm thinkin' it won't be a problem as there's no heat to deal with. HOWEVER, if you were to use the mold for lead and glue, now THAT might be a problem. 'Coarse, there's always carburetor cleaner.

By the way, y'all, they're called GLUELITS. Got it? Who says? I just said it!

Sincerely,

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post

What I need to know is that there doesn't appear to be an agreed upon official name for these semi translucent and somewhat flexible projectiles. Is it Gloolit, Gluelit, Glueblits or something else

So far as R&D goes. Has anyone tried casting these things while the mould is sitting in a pan of chilled water, or does the glue set up too fast in the mould cavity that way?

..............Buckshot

If I'm not mistaken, and I'm sure some of my fellow NAGS will let me know if I am ....I feel that all nomenclature is correct, as long as it leads to fun, fun, and fun, and cheap, cheap, and cheap...and is quite possibly a geographical dialection of descriptive terminology.............they can be ever what y'all are comfortable with .......
    and if you accept the nomination, I'm sure VP R&D will welcome the assist & information you glean from your efforts..........
    USA Ranger ( Ret. )
    Life Member NRA,
    RangeMaster, Linn Creek Milsurp Shoot-Offs
    Master At Arms, NAGS
    National Association of Glue Shooters

Red face

...............my bad .....I just saw the R&D post..............they be GLUELITS........I stand corrected............
    USA Ranger ( Ret. )
    Life Member NRA,
    RangeMaster, Linn Creek Milsurp Shoot-Offs
    Master At Arms, NAGS
    National Association of Glue Shooters

Pam

with the pam i found that the temp was low enough that it didnt get sticky. basically spray, wipe off excess, and drop maybe 4 or 5 sets, then repeat. at teh end all you have to do is to wash it off with dishsoap. then treat them like a normal mold

Boolit Grand Master
    Jballs,
    Now THAT'S the kind of mindset that's needed in R&D! Experiment, document and report. Did I mention we have some openings? The position is very lucrative!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    UTK,
    Scottie,
    Not sure, but I think somebody already brought that up. If the mold is bought and used EXCLUSIVELY for making gluelits, I'm thinkin' it won't be a problem as there's no heat to deal with. HOWEVER, if you were to use the mold for lead and glue, now THAT might be a problem. 'Coarse, there's always carburetor cleaner.

By the way, y'all, they're called GLUELITS. Got it? Who says? I just said it!

Sincerely,

ok, gluelits they be!! thanks for the response on the PAM - just would have hated to see peoples molds ruined....I wonder if that carbuerator cleaner would work on my baking pans.....
    what lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to while lies within us - emerson

dont think that would be so well. it seems that the pam only geets really sticky if it heated up, or burned off a pan. but please remember this is just from what i have done in the kitchen. one thing i did notice with one of my molds was a bit of gulling it that is what it is called. but i looked and i have a burr on my spure plate

Boolit Grand Master
    "But I looked and I have a burr on my spure plate"

A burr on the sprue plate!? That's terrible!! Now, ya' gotta throw the whole thing away! This is horrible!!

Send it to me and I'll decomm it for you.

Boolit Master
    Interesting as hell gentlemen. Entertaining to read too.

Scottie: Yrs ago while trucking south Texas someone suggested spraying the face of the the truck with PAM to keep the Love Bugs from sticking. Seems that helped the bug problem somewhat. But, getting The PAM off the paint was much like divorcing Pam, and nearly as costly.

As a kid, we played with loading 12ga. Someone, possibly me, suggested instead of filling the cardboard hulls with plain parafin wax, that we should do a little R&D dropping glass marbles in the wax. Proper testing proved they WILL blow huge holes thru railroad tie fence posts at 20-30 feet.

I've wondered while reading this if it would be worth trying to just inject the glue directly into the lubed/Pam'd case, the after set up, inserting the primer, or putting a small cotton ball, or wad of somekind inside on top the primer. That would make WC's. Anyone interested in doing a little R&D with this? I'd offer my expert opinions but, don't own a glue gun and I'm the only one on this property.

Iv'e also been wondering what the cost of the glue is, not having ever used, or purchasing it.

Thank you, please carry on,
    George so I can:

Gun Control is NOT About Guns!
    It's about CONTROL!
    Join the NRA Today

Lm: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, N***/WS

I'm glad to have stumbled across this thread. I shall give this a try for use in the back yard. Sounds like I may be able to pop away with the old 30-40 without leaving the premises.

Think Felix Lube will work?

Boolit Mold

gluelits

you might try motor mica. very slick. workes well on shotgun wads.

booneh
    Last edited by booneh; 12-05-2007 at 10:24 PM. Reason: spelling

This gluelit thing is very interesting! Has anyone shot any out of a pistol at more than a few feet? If they would work, I think they would be great in a .38/.357 for Bullseye Pistol, but the would have to be accurate at 50 feet (and be able to go through a target). Would help save precious WW lead for things that need longer range / harder hitting.

Boolit Man
    I've got 6 45acp bullets made of pykerete that we mixed and froze the afternoon of October 20 (only hours before my wedding, needed something to keep my best man and I from fretting the crowd too much)

We have yet to send them downrange, but we're planning on 4grains of titegroup.

Didn't want to hijack the glue bullet thread, just wanted to share that we've started something else.

Boolit Buddy
    Do I have to ream out the flash holes in the brass?

Boolit Master

Kelly00

more info on how you froze the pykerete? It is an interesting subject. One of the lost building materials.

Banned
    I 've been playing with this.
    I glued some for 45, 44, and even 22.
    tried a few with magnum primers and they make stray dogs and cats scoot across the yrd

Boolit Buddy

wadcutter?

I have some glue sticks that are very large. Slightly less than a .45 colt case. How much clearance do you need between the primer and the glue bullet? These press down inside the casing about 1/4" from the bottom. Would make one heck of a wadcutter.

Let me measure a few and see what the deal is.

If it worked there would be no casting involved for these. Just cut and seat.

Just got out of the reloading room:
    Yep, after resizing the brass the gluecutter press fit into the case without having to go near the bottom of the case. It sits about 1/4" into the top of the brass. I will test tomorrow and report how the wadcutter works.

Anything else I need to know before I touch off a few?

Georgeld, you wouldn't need a glue gun if this works. Buy the sticks, get a knife and you are in business!
    Last edited by Possum; 12-06-2007 at 11:12 PM.

Boolit Master

I have some hot glue sticks that are large and intended to be used in a glue pot if anyone is interested.

Boolit Buddy
    HMmmmmm....,

I almost ALWAYS blend up more Acra-glas than I really need, .....up to now always used it to firm up garden tool handles, and other repair details......not one drop's gone to waste.

After reading this, .....now, ...

HMmmmmm,....

GTC

Boolit Buddy
    On a DEAD serious note....elastic co-efficients of obturation can sneak right up on you.

......I wrote about the risks of loading to many golf balls into 1.75" ML artys.....moons ago.

This is the same arena.

Nonna' youze' blowed yerselves up, ....here?

GTC

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast