RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Casting hot glue boolits

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by The Schwartz View Post
    I have been reading this thread with a lot interest, but have not seen any reference to velocities produced by these primer-powered hot-glue boolits.

Has anyone taken the time to run a few of these little plastic creations across a chronograph?

I am curious simply because I am left wondering if one particular brand of primer produces more speed than another.
    Was on my agenda for this week during my staycation (was supposed to be on a cruise but sadly that can’t happen). Will update the group with details.

Boolit Master
    You guys are all crazy! I like that! Now I have to go back and read the whole thread, or maybe I should go clean my shop and see if I can find my glue gun, first. Anybody got a brand name for non-toxic primers? Mi casa doesn't have all that good a ventilation system, and there is no basement here.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    You guys are all crazy! I like that! Now I have to go back and read the whole thread, or maybe I should go clean my shop and see if I can find my glue gun, first. Anybody got a brand name for non-toxic primers? Mi casa doesn't have all that good a ventilation system, and there is no basement here.
    Umm, from my testing I would say be VERY careful if you shoot these inside, especially with 209 primers.

When it is warm out these things can display an almost totally elastic collision. (Rick O'Shay!)

For the sake of others (and yourself), please treat these as any live round. While nice to play with, they can be deadly.

I've had lots of fun with these in .45 cal.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    I have been keeping up with this thread for a while now and just had to give it a try this morning I had an old lee 160 gr TL mold in 31 cal. and cast up some gluits and came out perfectly they weighted in at a svelt 12.5 grs! I had the 03A3 standing tmi inhere so that was my test bed. drilled out a primer hole to 7/32 and lubed with balistol oil . primer was a CCI regular LR pushed the gluit into the neck . Now the moment of truth!!!!!!!! Puffffff! my little gluit never made it half way down the tube! so I added .5 gr of red dot and it worked well and still very quiet. But that kinda defeats the purpose of this whole thing . Whats size must I drill out the primer hole to accept a shot shell primer?
    Next step is to cut the base of the bullet shorter and to trim the nose off some to make it shorter and less weight in hopes it will atleast exit the barrel. Any other ideas from the Gluit wizards.
    Old thread, but you always have to wet the barrel inside with an oiled patch for lube.
    Just enough to wet the bore.
    Also good idea to let a freshly cast glue bullet to cure overnite.
    Otherwise the surface can be sticky and a little plastic may be in bore.
    It is easily brushed out with a little mineral spirits paint thinner.
    It comes out very easy contrary to what some of the naysayers seem to say. LoL on them.
    N'other thing. If you provide soft landing like some old rags in bottom, the gluelits can be reused many times.
    Use paper targets.
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 05-08-2020 at 07:55 PM.

Boolit Master
    Sadly, my chronograph was not working for me last week so I wasn’t able to chrono these.

I did build a fun trap for these that collects the bullets in the bottom once fired so their ready to go again with little to no damage.

Built out of old Walmart cabinet panels, old carpet, and a clear rubber material we use at work.

Stopped HG 68 and 78 Gloobits fired with W209s, SPPs, and LPPs.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBach View Post
    Sadly, my chronograph was not working for me last week so I wasn’t able to chrono these.

I did build a fun trap for these that collects the bullets in the bottom once fired so their ready to go again with little to no damage.

Built out of old Walmart cabinet panels, old carpet, and a clear rubber material we use at work.

Stopped HG 68 and 78 Gloobits fired with W209s, SPPs, and LPPs.
    That's a great set up! Think I need one!
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!

Boolit Master
    March 2007 this started
    now Dec 2020
    13 years old!

Plastic Shooting Target(s) Devices Plastic Target(s) Shooting Devices. PTSD? How noisy are these? Did shoot a 12ga primer only, would be noticed in my neighborhood.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Some worry too much about velocity. Believe me (and my steel garage door!), at 15 feet, they can a d do penetrate sheet metal! I had to explain that to my wife when she found the hole!

Yes, this thread is very old.....................No, shooting low load HMG boolits in the garage or basement never gets old!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Plastic Shooting Target(s) Devices Plastic Target(s) Shooting Devices. PTSD? How noisy are these? Did shoot a 12ga primer only, would be noticed in my neighborhood.
    The shotshell primer definitely has a noticeably louder crack but not horrible. I like the shotshell primer concept more for the safety aspect of not getting brass confused but I found that my 45s did perfectly well with normal LPP with a drilled out flash hole. Sound on the LPP was quite a bit lower. At garage distances I don’t think you’ll notice a difference.

This is a very fun little side hobby and I recommend it to anyone looking to try something new.

Holly crap, this thread has had me reading all morning. Oh well, got the rona and not much to do. Need to dig out my old .38 special plastic cases and bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    i made some in a 158 grain lee mold, oiled the inside of the barrel, a model 28...and shot across a room through a paper target sitting on a fridge top. it went through the paper...back out the paper and smacked me it the forehead across the floor.15-18 feet i would guess. i pulled the trigger and it hit me it seemed....these are not toys please have a backstop that will catch it. i walked around a couple days with a small goose egg that i tried to cover with my hat.

Boolit Master

Casting hot glue boolits

Quote Originally Posted by Monobill View Post
    Holly crap, this thread has had me reading all morning. Oh well, got the rona and not much to do. Need to dig out my old .38 special plastic cases and bullets.
    Rona, if you have the mild version, makes for some interesting down time. Take breaks often cause your body is still fighting a virus even if you don’t realize it so rest and fluids are your friend. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by green mountain boy View Post
    i made some in a 158 grain lee mold, oiled the inside of the barrel, a model 28...and shot across a room through a paper target sitting on a fridge top. it went through the paper...back out the paper and smacked me it the forehead across the floor.15-18 feet i would guess. i pulled the trigger and it hit me it seemed....these are not toys please have a backstop that will catch it. i walked around a couple days with a small goose egg that i tried to cover with my hat.
    What I found that worked nicely was a couple layers of cardboard behind target. Works like a gel block on a normal bullet and I found my 38s went though about 9 layers of cardboard (SPP loads). For a better system for recovery of bullets see my earlier bullet box design which uses scrap carpeting and some flexible plastic/rubber sheeting as a backstop to help keep bullets from deforming.

As stated, these can do some harm so treat as you would any real bullet cause bad shot placement and one of these can make for a bad day for someone.

Boolit Man
    Had a friend turn me onto Kinetic Sand, in the toy dept. at Freddy's/Kroeger. It's a non-drying sand for building sand castles, etc. Put some in a plastic dish, push a 290 gr 358 bullet into it to make a hole, and fill the hole with glue. This thing pretty much fills a 357 brass. Sand is reusable. The friend uses it to cast aluminum parts. I ran the glue too fast, and didn't get good fill on some slugs. Gonna try to run them through the gun and remelt them, cuz I'm cheap that way...
    Don't want no one to git hurt, but if you're gonna have a wreck, I wanna watch.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by calm seas View Post
    Had a friend turn me onto Kinetic Sand, in the toy dept. at Freddy's/Kroeger. It's a non-drying sand for building sand castles, etc. Put some in a plastic dish, push a 290 gr 358 bullet into it to make a hole, and fill the hole with glue. This thing pretty much fills a 357 brass. Sand is reusable. The friend uses it to cast aluminum parts. I ran the glue too fast, and didn't get good fill on some slugs. Gonna try to run them through the gun and remelt them, cuz I'm cheap that way...
    HMG glue sticks are absolutely dirt cheap - - if you get them at Horrible Freight. How are you gonna make them back into sticks for your HMG gun to injection mold new boolits? The key is using the HMG gun to force the hot glue under a lot of pressure into the boolit mold to capture all the design characteristics of the mold.

Just pouring melted glue in a hole will not give you any fill pressure and probably VERY poor boolits. Try it, but I sure would stick with a HMG gun and glue sticks and not worry about recovering spend rounds of HMG. Being frugal is one thing, but trying to reusing HMG spend slugs is NOT!

banger

I've re-shot glue stick bullets recovered from hitting a tree and galv. metal with no issues, the shape was retained and slip fit a .45 just like it was made for it.

Now trying to re-melt glue sticks, ain't gonna try it, yet.
    Now, Hold my beer and watch this.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    I built an entire shooting box for recovering gluboolits (see earlier post) and found they retain their shape and elasticity for several shootings before they finally split into pieces. Spent an afternoon testing them and found that out of the 50 I made only lost 10-15 of them. Think most lasted at least 6 firings.

Boolit Man
    So, the 358 gluboolits are too small to run through the large stick glue gun, and too big to run through the small stick gun, and not worth the effort to experiment further...toss the bad ones, and cast better ones. Bangerjim, I'm only looking for 'minute of squirrel' at about 5 yards. It may turn out that the sand doesn't work, time will tell. I 'remake' the mold after I pull a gluboolit out. I thought to try it, because I don't own a mold to cast this boolit, I buy the lead ones from a seller here.
    Don't want no one to git hurt, but if you're gonna have a wreck, I wanna watch.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by calm seas View Post
    So, the 358 gluboolits are too small to run through the large stick glue gun, and too big to run through the small stick gun, and not worth the effort to experiment further...toss the bad ones, and cast better ones. Bangerjim, I'm only looking for 'minute of squirrel' at about 5 yards. It may turn out that the sand doesn't work, time will tell. I 'remake' the mold after I pull a gluboolit out. I thought to try it, because I don't own a mold to cast this boolit, I buy the lead ones from a seller here.
    I really think the sand will stick VERY well to the HMG. Try it an see, but you do not want to shoot sand jacketed boolits down your barrel!!!!!!

I have recovered many HMG boolits from my target boxes and most were in waaaay too bad a condition to reuse. (I use primer + a little powder, so they hit PRETTY DARNED HARD!) So I just throw them away.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920 LastLast