Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
PBcastco Lee Precision
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Casting hot glue boolits

Boolit Man
    Bangerjim, my nephew has a 3D printer. The thought crossed my mind...you saved me wasted R&D time. Thank you!!
    Don't want no one to git hurt, but if you're gonna have a wreck, I wanna watch.

Boolit Grand Master

I decided to give this a go in my 327 federal revolvers. I tried a couple molds I had been using, and they were horribly inaccurate. Tumbling right away. I found the Lee 311-93-1r to stabilize, and it's a 6 cavity to boot. I had to drill the primer pockets, but with a magnum primer, I was getting right at 500 FPS with these. Accuracy was around 2" across the house, which was around 10 yards. Unfortunately they stick just 2" from the end of my 16.5" barrel rifle. I even had a steel deer silhouette in the backyard, that I was shooting off the deck. It's about 40 yards away, and I was hitting it almost every time too. Very fun.

They do go through a cardboard box. I doubt they would cause a person any real harm, but I would rather be hit with a paintball than one of these. I would treat them with care.

Boolit Master
    Ricochet - GONRA reminds ya'll to purchase "lead free primers" more-or-less "as needed". Do NOT "stock up" for SHTF stocks! Crappy shelf life issues.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Looks like Hot Glue Boolits are off and running! Great opportunity for a special "Hot Glue Product just for casting boolits!"
    Dope usual "hot glue" gunk product with metal powder to get boolit weight up! More practical shootin' really lite weight boolits from Seecamps, etc.

Banned

Boolit Master
    i'm shocked!

ya mean more than half ya'll didn't know about hot glue boolits?

fun enuf when ya can't get to the range!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
    Ricochet - GONRA reminds ya'll to purchase "lead free primers" more-or-less "as needed". Do NOT "stock up" for SHTF stocks! Crappy shelf life issues.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Looks like Hot Glue Boolits are off and running! Great opportunity for a special "Hot Glue Product just for casting boolits!"
    Dope usual "hot glue" gunk product with metal powder to get boolit weight up! More practical shootin' really lite weight boolits from Seecamps, etc.
    Easiest way to up the weight is drop a steel sling shot or metal BB in the nose of the mold cavity B4 injection. Gives a very nice added weight. I use 1g+ of fast powder in the casing on some, along with Dacron fluff to keep the powder back against the primer. Really gives a nice shot! And they WILL go thru steel garage doors as I mentioned years ago in this thread!!!!!!!!

banger

Banned
    Use magnum primers or Drill out the primmer pocket and use shotshell primers

Boolit Master
    Acronymity of gluelits etc.

I was at Hobby Lobby the other day and they have little glue bath warmers that are used for gluing artificial flower arrangements together.
    May be an alternative to a glue gun - using a ladle to pour.
    Also, any cracked or damaged gloolits can be thrown back in the melt and reused.

Got around to trying some.
    Super Fun!!

Casting with a Lee 375”-130gr aluminum mold and loading in 38spl cases lubed with petroleum jelly.
    Using a small rifle primer.

Glue sticks are AdTech brand from Joann hobby store. They seem very durable.

Last edited by Huvius; 03-15-2020 at 05:22 PM.

I like the idea of boring the case out to suit a 12g primer, as apposed to drilling flash hole out. Easily identified as a glue boolit case, and never be mixed up with full house ammo.
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!

What's the longest rifle barrel that any of you have shot these out of? I want to try a few in my 32' barreled sharps.

Quote Originally Posted by R-71 View Post
    What's the longest rifle barrel that any of you have shot these out of? I want to try a few in my 32' barreled sharps.
    25 inch 303 barrel shot ok.

Boolit Mold
    LOL this is hilarious and sounds fun, probably something fun to do for guys with all local ranges closed
    Luke 21:15
    “For I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist.”

I had my son make a bunch for me and now he's thinking he might try casting a real lead bullet, He's 16.

UPDATE: I tried a couple of the glue bullets today, I'm using an Lyman 50 cal mold, the lead bullet goes about 530 grains. The first couple I tried didn't make it out of the barrel with either a standard rifle primer or Magnum. I had them lubed with baby oil. I cut the large driving band of the base and shortened them by about .25 and now they will exit at least. Tomorrow I'll shoot a few at paper to see if they group.
    Last edited by R-71; 04-08-2020 at 04:39 PM.

Boolit Master
    A more harmonious outcome will be had if you wet the rifle bore with an oily patch before shooting.

The glue bullets will make it out of the bore and with better performance.
    Also, always press in the primer after you load in the glue bullet.
    No air compression to fight and in a straight wall case, you always get better performance, the deeper you can seat the bullet, on the bottom next to the primer is the best.
    The cases tend to get narrower closer to the bottom except in 45/70 and some 44 Marlin cases.
    The brand is the decider I think.Your mileage may vary.
    A good way to blow the Covirus blues away!
    Best performance if you let them cure overnite after casting them.
    The next day they aren't sticky and they firm up quite a bit.
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 05-05-2020 at 05:34 PM.

Yeah I'm keen to modify some cases to take shotgun primers.

Boolit Master

Casting hot glue boolits

So I finally tried casting some of these today, man those are fun. Totally need to do more of that.

Anyone have the best way to modify brass to accept shotgun primers. Hopefully without a lathe?

Classic HG#68 (MP clone) never fails to impress even when made out of glue.
    Last edited by StuBach; 04-22-2020 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBach View Post

Anyone have the best way to modify brass to accept shotgun primers. Hopefully without a lathe?
    Size "C" drill bit (the easy part), then counter sink with a 5/16" bit "just enough" to make the primer sit flush.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwana John View Post
    Size "C" drill bit (the easy part), then counter sink with a 5/16" bit "just enough" to make the primer sit flush.
    Perfect, thank you. Sadly don’t have any size C bits but was able to find one dang close and tried it. Very fun.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920 LastLast