RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Casting hot glue boolits

Boolit Buddy
    45-70 in a Ruger number one.....420 grain super wide meplat. Cast her up with a high temp gun,...never thought about lubing it. Loaded the case with a magnum rifle primer and pushed the round into place. Had the common sense to stand behind a wing chair in my man cave to protect the family jewels in case of a ricochet . very heavy waxed cardboard box, with the local phone book about a 1.5" thick inside. Placed in on the other wing chair at the end of the room about 12-15 feet away and let her rip.....cleaned the box, phone book ,out the back of the box and a nice hole in the fabric of the other wing chair. Got the " you're and idiot " look from the better half. Be careful folks these could easily kill at close range. They're a hoot to shoot, but I had better come up with a better backstop, or I'll be sleeping outside with the dog.
    Last edited by 35Whelen; 03-15-2016 at 04:45 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I put one 30 cal thru our steel garage door! Told the wife a piece of brass rod flew off the metal lathe and hit the door. (I am safe.......for now!)

Yes, they do have a punch as short distances. Be careful. You are NOT shooting Airsoft here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by woodman51jfk View Post
    ......absolutely correct sir, and a very important caveat to my dissertation. I too often assume that folks would have the foresight to have proper ventilation if popping caps, molding, painting, laquering, or anything else with dangerous vapors, indoors, and I appreciate your bringing it to the page...apologies for my omission............ and reminding me not to assume............
    To be honest, I didn't know the primers gave off fumes.
    But I definitely know what I'm doing the next time wifey and daughter leave me alone to my own resources...
    Knightflyer - Pesky newbie with a 30-30 & a zillion questions
    "And what I want to say is this, that I'm the King's man; and if this Parliament of Owls is any sort of plot against the King, I'm having nothing to do with it." - C.S. Lewis, The Silver Chair
    Shalom y'all!

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I put one 30 cal thru our steel garage door! Told the wife a piece of brass rod flew off the metal lathe and hit the door. (I am safe.......for now!)

Yes, they do have a punch as short distances. Be careful. You are NOT shooting Airsoft here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    But if you were hunting an invasive species like collared dove... hmm. I may have just found what I can use while my son uses his air rifle!
    Knightflyer - Pesky newbie with a 30-30 & a zillion questions
    "And what I want to say is this, that I'm the King's man; and if this Parliament of Owls is any sort of plot against the King, I'm having nothing to do with it." - C.S. Lewis, The Silver Chair
    Shalom y'all!

I used to shoot those< "Cowboy Action" plastic/wax bullets out of my 45/70. When the case lips would start cracking, I would drill the primer flash holes to 1/8th " and
    practice from the driveway, into the garage. They were very accurate out of a rifle and deadly on small pests.

Boolit Bub
    I had cast some round nose .41 cal. gluelits a couple years ago and had gotten sidetracked. I have had a rat problem, caught a few in traps but seems some were too smart for traps, so I drug out the gluelits and loaded a few with primers only in .41 mag. brass. I managed to nail one large female so far at about six feet. She kicked around a little and expired pretty quickly.

Nice work.
    I hope you remember to carry a Zip-Loc bag with you. When it starts to cool, anything living on that critter will jump to the next warm body.

Boolit Master
    I find its best to let the glulits cure overnight before use.

Ha sounds like fun

Boolit Master
    Well ,here we are in 2019.Where is everybody?
    I sure enjoy reading this about the hot glue boolits or gluelits.
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 07-07-2019 at 04:27 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisaka99 View Post
    People could have fights with them like airsoft or paintball. or is it too lethal??
    Don't shoot glue bullets or wax bullets at anything you don't want to wound or kill including humans or animals !
    For Real!
    Shooters on this thread have shot these things thru closed garage doors. If you shoot someone in the butt or in the stomach, it will mean a trip to the ER and a Police Report of a shooting.
    A shot to the eye even from a richochette, well it can't be reversed.
    Treat the wax and glue bullets like the real thing. Because they are the real thing!
    Be safe or be sorry.
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 10-15-2019 at 01:20 PM.

wow. resurrection of a 12 year old thread!!!!

I sure do miss Jim around here. shame he left. what a character.
    Paul
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Resurrection not so much but more like the thread that just won’t die (not that is a bad thing). I’m going to have to try this in my SBH and Dakota buntline although being in Canada I will have to go to the range as discharging any hand gun for any reason not at a aproved facility is a felony and I’d loose all my guns

Boolit Master
    Yes, it might be an old thread, but it is a good one. I have been shooting wax boolits on occasion & I was going to try the glubits after reading this topic some time ago, but could not find my glue gun & glue sticks to try it, so I put it off. Besides it was in the late Summer when I last read it, and my focus was more on shooting real boolits.

Now that Winter is approaching it is a good one to think about. At least up here where I live anyway. So the timing of it being resurrected is not so bad.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Banned
    Good price on glue sticks

Surebonder DT-2010 Made in the USA All Purpose Stick Glue Sticks-All Temperature-Clear 7/16" D, 10" L Glue Stick-20 Sticks per Bag $5.69
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have an old Arrow hot glue hun that still works great.

I put an ice chest with some ice packs next to my reloading bench
    lightly sprayed the cavities with cooking spray (Pam) and wiped out the excess (q-tip and rag)
    stuck hot glue gun in sprue hole (holding the gun lightly) and pumped the trigger until the tip started pushing out the hole [make sure you are pumping the trigger when you remove the tip from the sprue hole.
    set mold in an ice chest on icepacks, wait a few minutes until the glue has set up, cut sprue (if the cut is not clean 1) you cut the sprue to early 2) the edge of the sprue hole is not sharp enough)

my 2¢

I've never been inclined to cast bullets of soft thermoplastic, but I've used similar techniques to cast bullets of paraffin (canning or candles) wax and intend to eventually take it to the next step and cast in bronze or brass. ("Lost Wax" method)

I think a Lyman 12Ga Sabot Slug cast in "Classic Bronze" (Cu88% 12%Sn) should have some interesting effects.

And NO I would not pour that alloy into an Iron mold!
    Last edited by AllanD; 11-02-2019 at 10:58 PM.

Boolit Man
    With the price of 3D printers today, printed boolets (ploolets?)....yes, an old thread, but man I had some laughs tonight!!
    Don't want no one to git hurt, but if you're gonna have a wreck, I wanna watch.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a 3D printer and it takes forever to print anything! Casting them from HMG is far faster and more productive, unless you want to print a boolit ever 3-4 hours! With a 6-banger mold, I can crank out several hundred HMG slugs in just a few minutes.

Sometimes, new technology is NOT the answer to a very simple old process.

banger

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanD View Post
    I've never been inclined to cast bullets of soft thermoplastic, but I've used similar techniques to cast bullets of paraffin (canning or candles) wax and intend to eventually take it to the next step and cast in bronze or brass. ("Lost Wax" method)

I think a Lyman 12Ga Sabot Slug cast in "Classic Bronze" (Cu88% 12%Sn) should have some interesting effects.

And NO I would not pour that alloy into an Iron mold!
    More power to ya! You sure must have a bunch of time on your hands to try casting lost wax investment slugs! I use LWI techniques for casting one-of-a-hind gold and silver items. But it is really slow and time consuming. I prefer to cast using Al or Brass molds using Pb alloys (or HMG for fun stuff).

Let us know how your bronze age slugs work!

bangerjim

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by calm seas View Post
    With the price of 3D printers today, printed boolets (ploolets?)....yes, an old thread, but man I had some laughs tonight!!
    I enjoy the old 45c plastic projectiles in cut off 410 shells, work fine in a 45 Colt revolver, with shotshell primers.
    But I think we could call them Plastic Shooting Target(s) Devices, & we have another acronym.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920 LastLast