RepackboxLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Casting hot glue boolits

Boolit Man
    I mistakenly showed this to an ex of mine and now I have to sleep with one eye open.........I don't want all that oil on my molds and I don't know if I will survive an early morning glue ambush!

Maybe just one Lee mold? It looks like a blast (pun intended) and I can think of a couple of purrrfect targets (pardon my spelling please )

Boolit Master

hahaha, now you mention it, they might make purrrrfect targets lol
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Boolit Man
    I just saw the video today that Big Rix had on youtube. Then I searched here to see if the Gluelits had been talked about before. Pretty Cool idea.

Anyways I used an old Ideal .45 mold to injection mold a few gluelits. It went pretty well having the mold lightly oiled with olive oil.

I used my Kimber Custom in .45ACP. The gluelits are tight enough because of the inside taper of the .45ACP brass that I was able to load up all 6 in the magazine and cycle the slide normally and have them feed just fine.

Here is a new gluelit on the left and a 4 times fired one on the right. The one on the right was shot through drywall, into pine, through a plastic bin, off a concrete basement wall, through cardboard, and is as good as new other than being frosted looking and having some black powder residue on the base.

Here is one loaded up into a .45ACP:

Here is the previous gluelit after being fired through a 1/2" sheet of drywall. I had some left over after rocking my shop, so I cut them into 6x6 squares for testing.

Front:

Back:

These things are pretty impressive. I loaded mine up with a CCI 200 LR primer for a little extra ump. Seems to have worked, the extra ump that is.

First time today shooting them I set up large cardboard box in the basement filled with peanuts. (I figured these would be sufficient since others reported the bullets sometime never even leaving the barrel.) Well I was wrong. I shot six into the box ( 20" long), and then went to take a look. Well to my surprise they had gone all the way through and into a hard plastic bin behind it. Nothing inside was damaged, but that was a lot more force than I thought they would have. One even hit the pine shelving that the bin was sitting on and put a substantial dent in it.

That is when I started testing these little guys with drywall and so forth. Pretty fun stuff.

One question though. My gluelits are pretty sticky until I fired them a few times. Did you guys experience the same thing? I was wondering if it was the cheap glue sticks bought at Walmart, or if it was from using the olive oil for lubing the mold?

Anyways, great idea.

Take Care,
    Greebe

Has anyone perfected 12ga glue slugs? I've been working on them and have been playing around with unique, but getting some weird things...
    Bring the smoke!

Boolit Bub
    Joe Zambone, originator of Mag Safe bullets, melted the lead cores out of jacketed handgun bullets, replaced the lead with epoxy (sometimes adding birdshot) and drove the resulting bullets to 2000 fps or so, in most calibers that are fired in revolvers, or locked breech autoloaders. His FastBall ammo was based upon FMJ bulllets, no lead pellets added, just lots of velocity. His .45 bullets weighed about 70 grs, and needed very high velocities in order to cycle the slide on a 1911

Boolit Master
    I use glue gun sticks in 45 ACP cases . I cut the sticks flush with case(Wadcutters) NO CASING NEEDED. Good only for 45 cal though.Best in revolver or a 45 acp that feeds them

Last edited by wiljen; 12-27-2011 at 09:31 AM.
    Bring the smoke!

Anyone tried to make a glue boolit using a swage press and dies?
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

I watched a video awhile back of a guy using these glue bullets for training inside a building. Pretty funny but interesting from a saving money and lead point of view.

Boolit Bub
    If you guys don't watch it, pretty soon you are going to have to complete a 4473 to buy a glue gun.

Interesting concept. Would this be the most effective round for marauding woodworkers?

Boolit Buddy
    I just tried this last night with my wife's SP-101...

I used my Lyman 158gn mould, made about 12 Gluelits, and loaded them up...

They worked, but I fear some oil got into the primer pockets or something because the primers pushed out slightly when firing... It worked though.

Is it possible to do this with my 1911, and slightly taper-crimping the rubber gluelits in the case so I can cycle them from the magazine without significant problems with primers coming out???

I have to experiment with this stuff a bit more it seems... Once I've got it a bit more perfected I'll show it to a couple friends that were curious about how they can go about getting more practice drawing, firing, reloading, and malfunction clearing at home... This could potentially fit the bill for them.

In a rural area, they have no problem with neighbors hearing any noise either.

Boolit Master
    the primers back out often IF you don't drill the flash holes to let MORE of the primer power get to the glulets. This makes them UNSAFE for normal loads, so they MUST be kept separate.

Boolit Mold
    Hello gentlemen! I recently ran across this, and decided it would be an awesome way to practice my marksmanship in my downtown apartment. Now, yeah, sure . . . I COULD just drive out to my Dad's out in the country 20 minutes away or to the range waaaaay out in the country 40 minutes away . . . but sometimes, it'd just be nice to be able to practice, well, right here. So . . . I have absolutely zero, none, zilch experience at casting or reloading and don't know about a lot of the stuff y'all have talked about in this thread.

What's the simple complete noob version of how to do this, and can it really be done indoors without making a huge amount of noise and damaging anything?

Thanks!

BTW--the calibers I'd be interested in are 9x19 and 7.62x39 if that matters.

Boolit Mold
    And, is there anyone who'd be willing to help me put a starter kit together? Like, a few casings already drilled out, a few bullets already cast, so I know what the good stuff looks like so I don't screw something up out of just plain not knowing if it's wrong? I'd be willing to pay fairly for whatever that'd cost you.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by talaananthes View Post
    What's the simple complete noob version of how to do this, and can it really be done indoors without making a huge amount of noise and damaging anything?
    I don't want to sound crass here, but there's 13 pages of thread here, did you read it? That's how you do it, the instructions have already been posted in this thread.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Longwood

More range

I am experimenting with dog repellent rounds.
    I found that I can fit a a .445 ball into a 45 Lee mold.
    The ball is tight so it will not let glue run around the ball. The glue does not stick to the ball very well which lets it sometimes fall out of the end of the bullet.

I may drill the center of the bottom of the mold cavity so I can stick a smaller (3/8" steel slingshot), ball into the cavity and the hole will keep it centered in the cavity.
    The glue should then be able to inject around it and hold it firmly centered in the nose of the finished bullet.
    I am waiting on 4, 6MM drills I ordered from ebay so I can drill out the brass for a shotgun primer before i try to shoot them in the only 45 I own which is a rifle.
    I may need to put a cardboard wad at the base of the bullet.
    If all that does not work well, I will drilling a small hole in some of the .445 balls to see if the glue will hold them in place better.

I figure if it will put the bullets through both sides of a sheetrock wall like my slingshot will, I will be happy and the dogs will not.
    Last edited by Longwood; 01-27-2012 at 05:47 PM. Reason: changed the word will to should

Boolit Grand Master
    I must have the IQ of a race car number. I've been working on this for six years and everybody else that does it once is an overnight expert.

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I have created a monster.
    Tain't nuttin!
    I was a country boy with lots of time and VERY little (none) money.
    I could tell you some stories.

Boolit Mold
    Ok, so I've read a bit more of the thread, and think I get the hang of how to do this. But, I've never cast anything that didn't have a hook on the end in my life. What's a simple and inexpensive mold I could use? I'd like one for 9x19 and one for 7.62x39, say a 115gn .355 and a 123gn .308 mold. Or, does anyone have some used ones that still work that they'd sell me?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I must have the IQ of a race car number. I've been working on this for six years and everybody else that does it once is an overnight expert.
    Yup, pretty much sums up alot of incedences......

Pete

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920 LastLast