RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Reloading Everything
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Casting hot glue boolits

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    You ought to hear the story of the old pipe clothesline, the half pound of black powder, and the number 10 can of beans,,,,,

4+ firings out of a glue boolit?
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    I still have some pages in the middle to peruse, but has anyone suggested Postal Gloolit Matches yet?
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by Longwood View Post
    I am experimenting with dog repellent rounds.
    I found that I can fit a a .445 ball into a 45 Lee mold.
    The ball is tight so it will not let glue run around the ball. The glue does not stick to the ball very well which lets it sometimes fall out of the end of the bullet.

I may drill the center of the bottom of the mold cavity so I can stick a smaller (3/8" steel slingshot), ball into the cavity and the hole will keep it centered in the cavity.
    The glue should then be able to inject around it and hold it firmly centered in the nose of the finished bullet.
    I am waiting on 4, 6MM drills I ordered from ebay so I can drill out the brass for a shotgun primer before i try to shoot them in the only 45 I own which is a rifle.
    I may need to put a cardboard wad at the base of the bullet.
    If all that does not work well, I will drilling a small hole in some of the .445 balls to see if the glue will hold them in place better.

I figure if it will put the bullets through both sides of a sheetrock wall like my slingshot will, I will be happy and the dogs will not.

"How sweet it is".

My experiment is a success.
    First,, The 4 drills I bought for $6 on ebay turned out to be carbide instead of high speed steel as listed. Very nice indeed. They are sharper than razor blades.

With shotgun primers, I put a slight dent in a piece of plywood at 20 yards.
    The report in the rifle is about like a 22 short.
    I next tried the bullets with the big round ball but it lodged in the barrel of my 92 Carbine.
    The bullets that I have cast a 3/8 ball inside the nose works best. They maintain a good velocity out to 100 yards. About the same as my slingshot will flip a 1/2" round lead ball.
    I am pretty anxious to go out where I can shoot several more to see if the accuracy is as good or better than my sling shot.
    I used a Lee mold for a 300 grain flat nosed bullet that I ever so slightly modified so the ball would stay centered in the nose of the bullet.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Its a dog killing round. Not dog repellent rounds. You may want to rethink this.

Quote Originally Posted by Longwood View Post
    I am experimenting with dog repellent rounds.
    I found that I can fit a a .445 ball into a 45 Lee mold.
    The ball is tight so it will not let glue run around the ball. The glue does not stick to the ball very well which lets it sometimes fall out of the end of the bullet.

I may drill the center of the bottom of the mold cavity so I can stick a smaller (3/8" steel slingshot), ball into the cavity and the hole will keep it centered in the cavity.
    The glue should then be able to inject around it and hold it firmly centered in the nose of the finished bullet.
    I am waiting on 4, 6MM drills I ordered from ebay so I can drill out the brass for a shotgun primer before i try to shoot them in the only 45 I own which is a rifle.
    I may need to put a cardboard wad at the base of the bullet.
    If all that does not work well, I will drilling a small hole in some of the .445 balls to see if the glue will hold them in place better.

I figure if it will put the bullets through both sides of a sheetrock wall like my slingshot will, I will be happy and the dogs will not.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    Its a dog killing round. Not dog repellent rounds. You may want to rethink this.
    Not hardly!
    They are way too big to penetrate a dogs skin at the velocity the bullets are traveling. I figure it is around 250-300 ft per second.
    The mutts I am conserned about, are wise to people in houses and they won't get within 150 feet of me.
    The glue bullet is a 45 caliber with a large flat nose that weighs a meer 25 grains.
    With the ball it weighs 75 grains.
    The ball does not protrude, it is 99 percent embedded in the glue.
    A bullet that size and that light weight that is also moving quite slowly, kicks up a tremendous amount of turbulence (drag) which will cause it to bleed off energy very rapidly and in a short distance.
    Last edited by Longwood; 02-01-2012 at 07:59 PM.

Boolit Master

so should the mold be cleaned before returning to casting lead boolits?

i just got a mold in a few days ago, and i'm waiting on the rest of the equipment to cast boolits. i figured this would feed the hunger a bit. it did

Boolit Buddy
    This has to be the most interesting thing I've seen on this site yet!

anyone chrono any of these out of say a 9mm or the 45s?

Boolit Master

I chronographed .38, and .40S&W out of revolvers at about 400fps, 9MM and .40S&W out of semi-autos at about 440fps. The cylinder gap on the revolvers slowed them down. The last time I shot glueblits I dipped them in hot boolit lube and set them on wax paper. I was able to shoot them several times before they needed re-lubing. I will be making up some .45 glueblits from a 255RF mold in the near future and run them through my .45ACP 1911 and Vaquero in .45 Colt. We'll see how they do with standard and magnum primers. Frank

Wink

[QUOTE=
    Interesting concept. Would this be the most effective round for marauding woodworkers?[/QUOTE]

Dunno about woodworkers, but it would probably do the trick on a bird.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Super Moderator

.............My one and only experience with Gluelits was to buy a bag of .450" glue sticks at Horror Fright for a couple bux. Back at home I used a single edge utility razor blade to slice off a piece about 1/2" long. Took a sized, flared & primed 45 Colt case with aformentioned hotglue cylinder in place, and deposited it in my Vaquero. The interior back wall of my shop is shiplap 1/2" pine, and probably older then I am. Standing 22' away with my back against the opposite wall I took aim at a knot and let fly.

The flat faced hotglue cylinder smacked the wall a resounding crack, and spent a few seconds happily rebounding around amongst some sheet iron and steel pipes I had leaning closeby. About an inch below the very knot I was using as an aimpoint I found a very nice round flat indentation ~1/16" deep in that old hard pine. Getting hit by one at that range would sting smartly

..............Buckshot
    Last edited by Buckshot; 04-14-2012 at 02:56 AM.
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Not sure what they're booking at, but for my .357 I bored and reamed a handful of .38 brass to take a drop-in shotshell primer. It's a lot easier to reload that way. But I'll tell you--those shotshell primers really push 'em. My shop is a steel building. At 21' I've dented it a couple times by missing my quick-draw target--nice little dimples in sheet metal tells me I really don't wanna get hit by one.
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Banned
    Has anyone tried the Glow-In-The-Dark hot glue sticks ?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DODGEM250 View Post
    That might make them easy to find, I guess!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangefinder View Post
    Not sure what they're booking at, but for my .357 I bored and reamed a handful of .38 brass to take a drop-in shotshell primer. It's a lot easier to reload that way. But I'll tell you--those shotshell primers really push 'em. My shop is a steel building. At 21' I've dented it a couple times by missing my quick-draw target--nice little dimples in sheet metal tells me I really don't wanna get hit by one.
    Back in '06 when I first started experimenting with gluelits, I was using .45 Colt cases in an old 1917 Colt New Service revolver. I smeared a little grease on the gluelit, seated it in the bottom of the case over a large magnum pistol primer and promptly put it through the back rest of a plastic patio chair.

I was amazed at the bullet energy in that. I took aim on a medium sized terra cotta flower pot and broke it. I thought the same thing you did. I wouldn't wanna get popped with that!

Quote Originally Posted by DODGEM250 View Post
    Didn't know they even MADE em! Hmmmm, gotta check this out
    if it doesn't fit, don't force it. Get a BIGGER HAMMER!

Boolit Buddy

Started reading back in the 2007 posts and got me so into it I had to try it took a Lee DC 45 cal mold pamed it up filled em with glue drilled some 45 LC cases with an 1/8 inch bit in the primer holes and AWESOME reloaded 6 cases 10 times shot em in my 7 and 1/2 inch Blackhawk and like I said AWESOME my neighbors think I,m nuts shootin into the garage from the middle of my driveway but you,ll have that shootin around 25 ft and blasting thru 2 LFR boxes with a welding jacket behind and everyone went clean thru the cardboard and collected ready to reload in the jacket AWESOME!!! To much fun you guys are to cool with the crazy $hit ya come up with for fun Thanks for shareing this I,ll be doing alot of it By the way the mold is ready to do lead boolits with no problem I thought that it would get messed up but ---NOT
    Thanks The DOGG!!!
    WARNING
    TRESPASSERS
    WILL BE SHOT
    SURVIVORS
    WILL BE SHOT AGAIN
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Mold
    i recently attempted w209s in my USP45 pushing hot glue WC and wax WC rounds, they were too loud for inside city limits, it was about as loud as a p22 when i tested them in the desert.
    i have a round nose bullet mold on the way, if it's still too loud i will just use small pistol primers and I'll use the 209 modified brass for some wax-birdshot hybrid rounds for pest control
    Last edited by minimotos95; 04-27-2012 at 02:13 AM.
    loads for: 45 acp and super, 38/357. formerly, 7mmRM
    in the future: 25 acp, 357 sig and something based on 223 brass.

Boolit Master
    I found out to not use rifle primers, made my first glue bullets today, could only make 8, ran out of glue sticks, though I would use rifle primers, they were handy, my target is a card board box filled with wadded up kraft paper then on top a square of carpet the size of the box.shot one round, went thru the carpet,the paper and out the back of the box and bounced around the shop. pistol primers stay in the box.

Boolit Mold
    ^ 209 primed rounds will do almost as much damage to a pop can as a real round...

what do you guys do with all your scraps? i have a made 150 gluelits so far and have a small pot 3/4 full, i was considering melting it down on the stove for glue slugs....

edit: i have found that a 230gr mold makes 21gr gluelits, so a gluelit weighs roughly 9% of a lead bullet
    Last edited by minimotos95; 04-28-2012 at 07:11 PM.
    loads for: 45 acp and super, 38/357. formerly, 7mmRM
    in the future: 25 acp, 357 sig and something based on 223 brass.

Boolit Master
    has any one made round hot glue boolits? if so, how was the accuracy? making round balls has to be better than the regular boolit moulds. I like casting boolits, but making hot glue boolits suck.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920 LastLast