RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataPBcastcoWideners
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Casting hot glue boolits

Boolit Grand Master

Casting hot glue boolits

I got casting hot glue boolits down to a science. It's late and I don't have time to post the procedure, but will try to tomorrow afternoon after work. Anywho, I figured out how to cast a hot glue bullet that is a perfect copy of a WW boolit. No flanges, no fins, no bubbles.

Details soon,

Jim

Boolit Buddy
    Simple question; Why?

Honest, I've never heard of such a thing, and I'm interested.
    Looking foreward to hearing about it and the procedure.

Gary.

Cool Re: Simple question; Why?

Hello G. Blessing,
    As Master At Arms of the NAGS, National Asociation of Glue Shooters, formerly the Glue Shooters Society, allow me to attempt answering your simple question with an equaly simple answer:

Fun, fun, fun ..............cheap, cheap, cheap ............

We all like to shoot, as much as we can , and we all like to save as much money as we can. Shooting glooblits accomplishes both of these goals. Shooting a glooblit takes only a primer, case, and boolit formed of hot glue. These can be shot in the comfort of your den, basement or garage, ( actually anywhere SWMBO is OK with it ), and won't attract unwanted attention even in the backyard of your neighborhood. If you're unfortunate enough to live where you are driven indoors by any type of foul weather for extended periods of time, this offers a relief from cabin fever, needing the barest of supplies, and utilizing an old cardboard box for a targer. Since the inception of NAGS, I have loaded and shot inside my den my SBH, with just a Lee hand primer, and an old piece of carpet hung as a backstop, to enable reuse of all glooblits. Here in Central Texas, I can walk 20 feet out my back door to the end of my own personal 100 yard range, and shoot the real deal anytime I want, but it is still fun just to sit in my recliner and make the cats nervous , ( would never actually hit one )..........................so G. Blessing, it's back to just the two main answers short form.....................fun, fun, fun, cheap, cheap, cheap............
    USA Ranger ( Ret. )
    Life Member NRA,
    RangeMaster, Linn Creek Milsurp Shoot-Offs
    Master At Arms, NAGS
    National Association of Glue Shooters

Smile

Do remember that most of our primers are based on lead styphnate and also contain barium and antimony (that are about equally toxic with lead.) Shoot 'em only outdoors or with really good ventilation. There are lead-free and completely nontoxic (the residue, that is) primers now, but most of us aren't using them yet. Toxic smoke particles are most excellently absorbed through the lungs, as smokers of tobacco, crack and meth can attest.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

......absolutely correct sir, and a very important caveat to my dissertation. I too often assume that folks would have the foresight to have proper ventilation if popping caps, molding, painting, laquering, or anything else with dangerous vapors, indoors, and I appreciate your bringing it to the page...apologies for my omission............ and reminding me not to assume............
    USA Ranger ( Ret. )
    Life Member NRA,
    Master At Arms, NAGS

Boolit Grand Master
    Woodman,
    A finer Master at Arms will not be found on this planet. I'm proud of you, Sir. You are an asset and positive representation of NAGS. I'll be sure to include this in my report to the president at our annual meeting.

Thanks again for your service and positive attitude!

Jim

Boolit Grand Master
    Gentlemen all,
    Please forgive me for not getting the data posted promptly. I came home this afternoon to find that my dog and faithful companion of 6 years had been snake bit. I rushed him to the vet and he is going to be OK. It's been a rough day and I'm gonna hit the sack. Again, please forgive me. I WILL get the data posted.

Jim

Boolit Master

Glad your pup is OK. And I'm completely enjoying this thread, it's very much in the spirit of the Bug Blaster mindset. "Why", was asked; "Joy", was replied.

Onward, through the fog!

Mark

Boolit Master
    Gentlemen, as Co-founder of NAGS I have realized that no one has made a shotgun slug yet.

If I had the reloading equipment for it I would have to try some black powder with one of those Lee slugs you use a standard hual and wad with.

That could be very interesting...any takers on casting and loading them?

I have a 12 gauge that will work for this experiment.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

........well Prez.....the thought did occur, but there's already rubber boolits fer scatterguns, and I ain't real sure just a primer would push a glooblit down that long tube.......I feel we must turn to the R&D section for more indepth studies.....and Jim, glad the hound'll be allright...had a black lab got rattler bit..vet said he couldn't do anything ( early 70's ).if he survived he'd be OK, nearly immune....colonel loved to bring us dead snakes after that..trophies I think....
    ...hay Nueces.......careful there..........you could give yourself away ..........there could be others here remember the 'ol Austin of the 70's & early 80's O.W.'s always had such a pleasant atmosphere...........
    USA Ranger ( Ret. )
    Life Member NRA,
    Master At Arms, NAGS

Boolit Master
    With the wad protecting the GB slug I think we could pepper the load. Poor mans rubber bullet if you will.

Just the ticket for deer that wont stay out of the garden.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master
    Jones, my buddy, seems to be OK this AM. Limping, swolen and very tender to the touch, but breathing and gums are pink(vet said BIG indicator!).

12 gauge slug, huh, Doug? Pardon me, Mr. President. I forgot you told me first names only when we're at Sullivan's. OK, I guess I'm gonna hafta look into a 12 Ga. Lee Loader and a slug mold for the R&D Dept.. Mr. President, we'll be needing to nominate and elect a treasurer soon. I'm sure this is going to draw mass attention and the finances for research is going to flood in.
    I believe a shot sleeve would suffice in protecting the barrel from the "base material" of the slug smearing onto the barrel wall. Also, I've been thinking about trying 4X fine high grade graphite as a tumble type lube. The bullet base material has a bit of a tacky surface to it when it first comes out of the mold. If R&D can develop a process whereby the dry lube is applied and will stick, that could open several avenues of exploration.
    Concerning the options of "peppering" a slug with a bit of Unique or Clays or the like, I believe this would be totally dependant on being able to lube the slug good enough for a 28 or 30" ride. So far, R&D is still working on perfecting casting techniques and research for dry lubing is still in the planning stages.
    The upside of the base material is, compared to lead, it's virtually weightless. A gluelit cast in a 158 gr. pistol bullet mold weighs in at 13 grains, less that 10%. Within reason, no pressure to speak of. The down side of this stuff is, it requires lubrication like nobody's business because of the softness and high friction factor. I have yet to fire a cast gluelit down the barrel. Chief of R&D feels that casting should be perfected before proceeding to the next step. One bridge at a time.

Mr. President, thank you for the priveledge of this position. Master at Arms, thank you, Sir, for effectively controlling the crowd.

.....dropping the new gluelit directly into the graphite would seem to insure adhesion, makes me wonder if using something like Frankford Arsenal's Drop-Out spray on, or something similar, on the completed pills would work???........this is above my pay grade, definitely R&D territory........who it seems already needs a larger budget and staff to address a growing list of projects............

As far as secretary treasurer nominations, I submit Ricochet for the position.......he has the acumen for the position, as well as a keen eye for detail, and I feel he wouldn't let us stray into fiscal distress ( if we ever develop a fiscal being! ).

What say all?.............
    USA Ranger ( Ret. )
    Life Member NRA,
    Master At Arms, NAGS

Boolit Master
    I 2nd.
    Doug

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    This is a great board.

R&d

well me being one of the young guys on the board, i love R&D. but my thing is time. but one good thing is that the tools required for casting this are please easily taken with you. you guy talk about a lube. what about PAM cooking spray. we are dealing with low temps why not just stray the mold with pam and then that should work for lets say most likey 3 or 4 sets i would figure then just respray. after this is done one could then just drop then into a bowl of hot soapy water to clean then. now to the dry lube. i need to know if you guys are just using a primer to shot these. i have a gp100 that i may give a whirl to. i have a cheap idea for dry lube. what do you think about talc. or maybe even better corn strach. this sounds like a really good and fun way to cpeapy shot, but still get trigger time. maybe we can even make a 3 to 5 yard lague lol. well just some more fuel for the fire.

In Remembrance

You guys keep this up and I'll have to hunt up my glue gun. DALE

from the R&D guy

well i fired up the old glue gun tonight. i started with an old roundball mold and made a few. not to bad except the top of them were not filling out. not sure why. ok pam does work for this. but one thing i did notice was that it takes a few minute for it to cool. so keep this in mind as we do this. the over all shape was not to bad. i really think i need a better glue gun. im not sure if mine can heat up fast enough. ok so i went on to an old lee 38spl 158 swc. well this took a bit of practice to get some good ones. but i did. i only made 10 and got 3 good ones. im thinking that my gun has alot to do with this issue. recovery time. well i put them into the cases and cramped them down. now here is where im hosed i cant test fire anything as i live on an airforce base. they dont take to kindly to that. so i got 3 loaded and cramped no primer yet. i think this may actually turn out to be pretty cool

Boolit Grand Master
    I'll have some time off this weekend. Let me get this day behind me and I'll get some info up on the latest R&D.

How 'bout it, Ricochet? You up to taking the nomination as treasurer of NAGS? It's a very prestigious postion with absolutely no perks at all! Ahh, well, what th' hay. I'll send ya' some gluelits to test fire or sump'm.

Like jballs, The time I have to do R&D is limited. We ain't gonna perfect this thing overnight. As for ideas that might lend to this project, please, feel free to submit, regardless of how crazy you think they might be. Papa always said "Two heads are better than one, even if one IS empty!".

Jballs, as for your problem getting a good cast going, I got that down. I'll post on that tonight(Friday) or early tomorrow AM.

Jim
    gluelits!---------------------------------X-------->

Boolit Buddy

Exclamation Well I'll be damned...... I will be damned!

Quote Originally Posted by dale clawson View Post
    You guys keep this up and I'll have to hunt up my glue gun. DALE
    yeah, me too!

This does indeed look to be fun! I'm in arural area so shootin' ain't no problem, but you hit the nail on the head about the weather; Being able to shoot somthin' like this in the basement when its -40f would be nice... .. or practicing my draw and shoot in the back yard. (been doin' that with full loads anyway... )

Any probs with the glue leavin' a residue or anything in barrels? or in molds?

Any special glue your using?

do you need to lube them to shoot them?

Gary.

Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast