MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alloy to use for .45 colt?

Alloy to use for .45 colt?

I just bought a Ruger new vaquero in .45Colt Most loads in the lyman manual call for lyman #2. My question is ,do I need to use an alloy this hard for a bullet that will be moving at around 850fps. I was thinking I could use 50/50 ww&pb What are you .45 Colt shooters using? Thanks.
    Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live or die on this day. Live or die on this day.

I use 20:1 over 8 grains of Unique for my .45 Colt loads. Ammo is used in a Rossi carbine, S&W M25, Uperti Schofield, Ciimarron/Uberti 1873 SAA and a U.S. Fire Arms SAA. They do not lead or give accuracy problems. I would think your alloy would work fine.

Boolit Grand Master
    For 800 fps I would go 25/75 ww/Pb. Lyman 2 is using an awful lot of stuff that isn't required.

Boolit Buddy
    I agree. 50/50 mix with Layman could be considered rich. But, you will be fine with that mix. Can warm the loads up abit if desired. Anyway.... That is what I blend with my 'trash' lead i smelt.

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.

Boolit Master

I've been shooting/casting .45 Colt for almost 30 years and I've used almost exclusively straight range lead (COWW when my range stock is out) that whole time. As long as they're lubed/sized correctly, my 45 guns aren't too picky and don't fuss.
    Semper Fi.

Thank you all for the tips. You confirmed what I was thinking. I just wanted to make sure about things before I dove into it.
    Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live or die on this day. Live or die on this day.

Boolit Mold
    I have a Rossi carbine in my near future and am looking at potential loads. I’ve been using Accurate #2 in my pistol loads and am a real fan of it.

Banned

i'll put the alloy question into perspective for ya.
    winchester and remington both used 40-1 alloy in their 45 colt loads for over 100 years.
    38 specials too and in the 44 special and...

Boolit Mold

Quote Originally Posted by josper View Post
    I just bought a Ruger new vaquero in .45Colt Most loads in the lyman manual call for lyman #2. My question is ,do I need to use an alloy this hard for a bullet that will be moving at around 850fps. I was thinking I could use 50/50 ww&pb What are you .45 Colt shooters using? Thanks.
    My first post. I use 30:1 lead for my Ruger Blackhawk over 5.8 gr. of TightGroup. No leading. Nice easy shooting load.
    What isn't tried, won't work.

Boolit Buddy
    I've a got a bunch of time feeding 45 Colts. I use what ever lead I have, mostly WW with a bit of tin. I use LBT lube for everything, size the bullets .454., 8.5 to 9.5 grains of Unique, Winchester primers.
    My Rossi is fed a 300 grain Saeco, gas checked, ahead of 20 grains of H110, the same Winchester primers and sized .454.
    All of my 45 Colt barrels have lapped.

Jim
    Cast boolets are the true and rightious path to shooting bliss.

Welcome boatshop!

You don't need #2 for 850fps. I use the same alloy I use for my 45acp; range scrape or 50/50 lead & clip ww. If I run hotter loads, into the 1000fps range, then straight ww works fine.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    My BP 45 Colt reloads run close to 875 fps. I cast the 454190's strictly with Bhn 13.5 or 15.4 wheel weights. Average year is about 2400 of these reloads for CAS - no lube starvation - no leading in either the revolvers or the rifles

If it makes one feel good, just mix 1/2% tin to the WW's for your alloy
    Regards
    John

I've been using 49% WW's with 49% pure lead with 2% tin in my SAA Colts over the past 14 yrs. I'm running a 200 grn. RNFP cast bullet with 5 grns. of Red Dot. This is a light recoil CAS load running around 730 Ft/Sec. I'm sizing my bullets at .453". The only leading issues I ever see are in the forcing cone and that's something I can live with. No leading issues with my rifle at all.

Boolit Master

Just checking through the archives. Was planning on 50/50 COWW/soft lead + 2% tin for 45 Colt,CAS levels and 44 Magnum for plinking and target. Glad to confirm it has been used-correction-is being used successfully by others with similar needs.

another old thread resurected.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    ......winchester and remington both used 40-1 alloy in their 45 colt loads for over 100 years....
    And many of we old boffins do too. I get mine from Roto Metals.

Boolit Master

I agree with your first suggestion, 50/50 COWW & Pure Lead. Add a bit of Tin if you need it for better fill-out.

My Vaqueros are .44 mag, but I load them down to .45 LC power for cowboy shooting and they shoot very well with that alloy mix. I am a lazy caster and like close to 100% good bullets, so I do add some Tin, but not more than 1-2% total in the mix, some of which comes from the COWW alloy.
    Last edited by Defcon-One; 12-16-2013 at 05:39 PM.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/18...to-green-ammo/ What are you fellows going to use now ?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Silly boys, we all know handguns all require hardball at a minimum.......

Those soft bullets just won't work with heavy loads like some of the real cowboys used. Just don't tell Elmer.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Me too. I'm almost pure lead for my Colt. Get mine from a local source at about .80 per pound.