RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Sharps Borschardt in 30/40 Krag

Boolit Mold

Sharps Borschardt in 30/40 Krag

I have a Borschardt in 30/40 Krag. It is a rifle that my father built back in the early 70's made from an action that was being made back then. Not sure who the maker of the action was but he told me that it was made with modern steel. He can't remember what the twist of the barrel is or who made the barrel. My guess is it is a Douglas barrel as he used them on a few other rifles he built.

I am looking for a good cast bullet load starting point that I could use in this rifle. I have a good supply of 160 cast gas checked bullets to start with.

Ideas on starting loads or who may have made these actions back then?

Boolit Master
    That might be a Colt Sharps. Colt made some about that time.
    I have been using Alliant Steel lately in the 308, 30/40, and 30/06. I like it bacause it is a very lofty powder and fills the case enough that powder position is not a problem. Lights easily with standard primers. Its burn rate is close to 2400 but a bit faster.
    I would start at about 17 gn with your 160gn cast boolits.
    There are plenty of others that will work well but of late this has become a favorite for me in these cartridges for 150 to 200 gn boolits at 2000 + or - fps.

Boolit Mold
    Colt? One would think that they would have put some info on it, I can find nothing for markings. Thanks for the lead, I will look into that.

I will try that load, I like the idea of the powder filling the case.

Thanks again

Boolit Master
    There was an outfit called Artistic Arms that made Borchardt actions in the 1970's and '80's. The info on them would show up in a column inch article in one of the Gun Digests of the period. For all I know they may still be in business, although I haven't heard of them in decades. They obviously made them a few at a time, and they were not cheap. A guy named Story or Storie in New Mexico makes Borchardt rifles and actions now, and he is getting a fair amount of reportage and discussion in the Single Shot and Blackpowder Cartridge hobby magazines. His enterprise is only ten or twelve years old, as I recall, so it is probably too recent for your rifle.

The Colt Sharps was a very elaborate and expensive rendition of the Sharps-Borchardt that for some reason had so many modern "improvements" added to it that it became too weird and modern for the traditionalists and too weird and expensive for those who desired a fancy custom rifle. They were closed out by the company that made them and hung on at gun shows for decades as those who had bought them for an "instant collector's item" hoped for a flush buyer. It's not very likely that yours would have been one of those stripped for an action and rebuilt, but if yours has a Timney set trigger, roller pin bearings on the lever and a safety device on the breech block, maybe it is.

I use 21 gr of SR-4759 under the Ideal 311467 in my rebarreled Krag. On a good day it will hold about 3MOA at 500 yards.

If the serial number starts with a CS, its a Colt Sharps.

Boolit Mold
    I believe mine is one of the Artistic Arms rifles based on talkin to my father. He said it was from a company that only offered the actions. There is no CS on it.
    Thanks for the info.

Boolit Buddy
    I think the guy in New Mexico was shut down some time ago by the BATFE

Boolit Master
    I am not sure but maybe Ardith Barker and maybe Stevensville Montana. Dont know why I think so just do. If I am partly wrong or completely I wouldnt be surprised.

Make inquiry on the ASSRA web site. Harry Eales may know something.

There's Al Storie who still makes complete Borchardts http://brcrifles.com/
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post

I use 21 gr of SR-4759 under the Ideal 311467 in my rebarreled Krag. On a good day it will hold about 3MOA at 500 yards.

Did you mean to say 3"??

On Heaven's Range

Any iron-sighted rifle that would hold 3" groups AT 500 YARDS would be a most-rare and valuable rifle indeed.

3 MOA is reasonably believable.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master
    3 moa @ 500 yards = 15"
    .6 moa @ 500 yards = 3"
    Personally I have never fired a .6 moa at 500 yards with an iron sighted rifle. I may have with a scopped rifle but even that would be extreemly rare for me.
    On the other hand 3 moa at 500 yards with a well tuned rifle shooting boolits with black or smokless powder I would expect to be not too rare an occurance.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Any iron-sighted rifle that would hold 3" groups AT 500 YARDS would be a most-rare and valuable rifle indeed.

3 MOA is reasonably believable.
    Agreed. Wishful thinking on my part but he didn't say he was using irons. 3" would be mighty impressive but 3 moa not unusual with a scoped rifle. I am looking for a 500 meter ram load for my ruger #3 in Krag. 3 moa I can get. Never tried 4759 but sure would have if he had meant 3".
    Last edited by 45-70bpcr; 02-28-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    I am not sure but maybe Ardith Barker and maybe Stevensville Montana. Dont know why I think so just do. If I am partly wrong or completely I wouldnt be surprised.
    Perhaps that was Argus Barker of Stevensville Mt? I stopped in and met him back in the 80's. He and his son were building a very nice copy of the Borchardt.

If I dug around long enough and deep enough I might have one of his brochures and a pic or two.
    If Obummer is the answer, How stupid was the question?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -----Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Yes, it is 3MOA. Sometimes I can get a half dozen or so in a foot off the bench if things are going really well. Then I'll tense up or change position and they'll start drifting around. I shoot at the 36" round gong target on our range that the BPCR shooters sight in on because it makes the most melodious noise when hit.

The load will shoot somewhat closer MOA-wise at shorter ranges, but I find the breathless second or two between the report of the rifle and the little "Dingg!" coming from way out there quite addictive. Electronic earmuffs are necessary for this, of course.

Townsend Whelen recommended 22 gr of 4759 behind Ideal 308284 in the Krag and said it was good to 500 yards. I figured anything around there in boolit and charge weight should do as well, and it does.

My rifle is a rebarreled and restocked Krag action with a Scout-type low-powered scope on the Douglas 12" twist barrel.

Boolit Bub
    I don't live vary far from Al Story. Will run by and see him. Yes
    the Feds closed him down and he lost his last Federal District
    court hearing. Al has worked on a few of my toys, and was a great machinist.

Boolit Mold
    Interesting chat on the long range shooting. Thanks for the info on the rifle makers.

Boolit Master
    I realize you have a supply of bullets and if they shoot well, fine. If not, I've had best luck with .30 caliber rifles (including several .30-40 Krags) using heavier bullets, from about 185-200 grs.+, usually sized at .310". My favorite Krag bullet for several years now has been Lyman's #314299 cast from WW alloy.

Boolit Master

Agreed that Harry Eales is the man to ask. He popped in here a few years ago and told me all about my Sharps Borschardt. Here is his CB member profile.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/memb...16-Harry-Eales