RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scheme to get a 357 Handi...

Boolit Master

I've never seen a used 357 Handi on the shelf and I don't quite want to give the $300 to order a new one. But I have noticed I can get a used NEF single shot shotgun a pawn shop for around $100 (seems like they have a lot of .410s). My plan would be to buy one of these shotguns and send it in to be fitted with a 357barrel with scope rail, but a few questions first:

Some of these are marked "Toppers" would they work, is that still a SB1 frame?

I don't plan to, but are there any problems with reaming to 357 max on SB1 frames?

I like the heavy contour of the 357 barrels on the rifles I see on line, but the NEF website does not have any details on contour. They only offer one barrel so can I assume it has the heavy contour?

What twist rate do the barrels come with? I think most folks have acceptable accuracy with 38 specials, so I'm guessing the twist rate is fast enough to stabilize subsonic.

Are 357 Handi's any harder on brass than usual? I though I read that somewhere...

Will the shotgun stock line up with the scope?

Anything else I should keep in mind?

Banned

You need an SB2 to do rifle/shotgn conversions. The shotguns are SB1 frames and shotgun only. I could have it bassackwards, but bottom line - rifle to shotgun ok and shotgun to rifle not ok

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    You need an SB2 to do rifle/shotgn conversions. The shotguns are SB1 frames and shotgun only. I could have it bassackwards, but bottom line - rifle to shotgun ok and shotgun to rifle not ok
    Thanks but the NEF website says the SB1 can take 357 and 44 mag.

The only light contour .357's I'm aware of are the Talo versions which are nice. 18-1/2" w/ iron sights. These are pretty rare, but do pop up occasionally. My .357 barrel came from the H&R Classifieds on GBO (Graybeard Outdoors) forum. I think I gave $115 for mine shipped. Barrels there don't last long though. .357 and .44 are acceptable on an SB1 frame, but there are restrictions on how old of a frame can be fitted by the current regime. Most people prefer to start with an SB2 rifle, like the .45-70 or .30-30 and then add barrels to that frame. Then you have no restrictions on caliber. I personally have a 7 barrel swap system and a couple loose guns too.

Buds does have a .357 for $273 which you could fit your own shotgun barrel to from GBO's if you can find one for sale:
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...lScope+BaseBla

or a .45-70 on an SB2 for $257 that will take any barrel you want added:
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...+wRifle+Sights
    Last edited by tacklebury; 12-20-2012 at 07:37 PM.

Banned

"Thanks but the NEF website says the SB1 can take 357 and 44 mag."

The manufacturer know what is what so you may be good to go. That would be nice.

Boolit Grand Master
    The SB1 is GTG for the 357mag, but if you decide later to rechamber to 357max, you really need an SB2 frame. Check the cost of the barrels, I think once you pay for shipping, fitting the barrel, test firing the barrel and shipping back, you might be close to $200.

Boolit Master
    The 357 Maximum cartridge produces less thrust than the .44 Magnum. If the gun will handle the .44 Mag it will handle the .357 Maximum.

Boolit Master

I have a 357 max on an SB1 and I USE IT.

So, 38sp and some 357, no problem on SB1 frame. The issue is the large firing pin. It's huge! the primers flow around the pin. Every 5-10 rounds, 38 +p or 357 (I dont shoot 38's), the pin sticks, there's too much flow. Not to worry, pull the hammer back and pull the trigger on the empty brass, the action unlocks just fine.

The thing with high pressure 357 max loads, is that the firing pin will puncture primers. If you retract the pin so the primres dont puncture, its not enough oomph to set up a 209 primer for shotgun or muzzleloading. So mine is barely protruding enough now to fire ALL shotgun and MZ rounds reliably, 100% of the time, bar none.

And approx. 30-50% of my 357 max loads will puncture the primer. One in 50 357 MAG loads will puncture the primer.

The symptom? nothing, really. 1 out of every 10 puncture rounds, the decapping pin on the press pushes the anvil through the hole, and its a pain to get the primer off. So really, 1 out of every 20-30 rounds fired have an issue but at the reloading bench only.

no issues on the shooting bench. group size is still small.

That's the price to be paid.

BTW, I discovered for my load, my bullet, my OAL, I can load into a 357 mag case. That's pretty awesome. 250 grain jacketed SP spitzer, fired at 1700 fps, using H110 and a 357 mag case. You can't ask for better than that!

Oh, also cut the barrel to 16 3/8". its an awesome gun.

Boolit Master

bottom line, as a 357 max on a SB1 handi owner, IMO go cheap as you can. it's a GREAT gun and one I will use for rabbit hunting. But not worth investing in the finest material. Mines a shooter and a hunter, not a beauty queen. and it shows, both on the gun, and also on paper down range.

I treat it like "the single shot 22" in my safe.

Boolit Master

other thing to keep in mind, is that I AM TOLD (read: I dont know if the following is true or not) that H&R made a few SB1's with a small firing pin. So, SB2 or SB1, you can go back to your LGS, open the action, pull the hammer, pull the trigger, and lay the hammer back down on the transfer bar. You can easily see the large or small firing pin. If it's small, I'm very sure you will be GTG for a 357 barrel reamed to max and loaded to MAX. SB1 or SB2. And if they are nothing but large firing pin SB2's, you'll still be OK. As long as you don't mind a punctured primer here or there.

Boolit Master

Go the the H&R 1871 web sight, they set out the requirements very clearly. Once understood, give them a call and they will provide you with a repair number and you will at that time provide the information they need i.e. what type of barrel(s) you want. Make sure you have your serial number , it's part of the evaluation process. They charge 19.00 for shipping, 30.00 labor and 25.00 per barrel fitted. The shipping and labor is a one time charge for the then given service. If your plans include multiple barrels, it's best to get them all at once. they will charge you the same labor/shipping for one or for five. These charges are on top of the barrels which for most rifle calibers are 96.00-115.00. And of course, they nail you for sales tax (NY). They are very fast, about a ten day turn around. What surprised me was that Remington did the work.

Boolit Master

Thanks for all the input guys, I wasn't aware of all the extra fees. When you consider that, I might as well buy a new one!

I just had a barrel fitted at H&R. With all fees and return shipping, total cost was $140.

Boolit Grand Master

Follow the Whiterabbit, LOL!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master

yep, the fees turned my multi barrel project from a $400 project to about $500.

Boolit Buddy

I have bought barrels from gunbroker. You have to have a rifle frame to put on a rifle barrel. NEF says that you can use a shotgun frame for 357 or 44. I have a shotgun frame for my muzzleloader but rifle frames for all rifle barrels.

Boolit Master

I also have the inline barrel on the SB1. I use large rifle magnum primers to touch off those rounds. They don't puncture the primers, nor is there flow. Only on small primers is there flow. odd. But not odd enough to stop shooting high pressure 357 on the SB1

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    other thing to keep in mind, is that I AM TOLD (read: I dont know if the following is true or not) that H&R made a few SB1's with a small firing pin.

I have an SB1 with Small firing pin

I think all the pistol caliber rifles sold on SB1's are small pins, shotguns are large....
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
    Thanks but the link doesn't seem to work, wouldn't the thread still be there even if the item had sold?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast