Titan ReloadingPBcastcoInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Help!!! lol Stuck ingots

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

i got some new pans and my ingots stuck so i smutted them and now they will work just fine they had the no stick coating on them my other plain jane alum no stick at all. One thing to look at is the taper of the pan some have angle wall all the way to the top some dont the ones that dont will hang on me just dont feel them to full.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Safeshot View Post
    Old (yard sale) dirty, rusty, nasty - cast iron muffin pans work just fine, be sure to clean any "grease" out of them first. Even the cheap imported (new) cast iron muffin pans will work also. The little "corn bread sticks" cast iron pans are also an option. One individual I know uses stainless steel "egg poaching" inserts individually. It works for him, he handles them with a pair of channel lock pliers held upside down and sets them on a "dry" concrete block to cool. Wear welders gloves and eye protection, be careful, Safeshot
    Let those cast iron pans of any type get rusty. Nothing will stick. I have several different varieties of cast iron pans and the more rusty(I don't know if "rustier" is a word) the better.
    John
    W.TN

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Let those cast iron pans of any type get rusty. Nothing will stick. I have several different varieties of cast iron pans and the more rusty(I don't know if "rustier" is a word) the better.
    John
    W.TN
    Yep!

RUST: The original non-stick coating!

Boolit Master

lead stuck in muffin pan!!!!

first time i'v smelted lead was this week, i went to dollar store bought cheap muffin pan 12 holes teflon coated. then sprayed with frankford arsenal mold release let dry 5 minutes started pouring, so far got 84 ingots and they still fall out on their own have more to pour tomorrow should finish without having to spray again no teflon burns or anything just perfect. hope this help's Skimmerhead

Boolit Buddy Blackhawk Convertable's Avatar
    Here are a few tip and Ideas:

OK, a couple of notes about Teflon pans. I let them sit outside in the rain and weather before using. Just like the iron pans, the Teflon ones also need to get a "scummy" coating before using.

And yes, you need to watch the temp of your melt. Once the clips start to come to the surface, remove them and stir a tad. Then start filling your pans. If you are waiting for complete melt before you start removing the clips, you run the risk of the temp rising to 700°F and having Zinc contaminate your melt. The WW alloy will start melting at around 600°F. Stir and remove clips, Stir and Remove clips, etc.

BTW, I use saw dust for a flux and have no issues, nor the need to light stuff on fire to eliminate smoke. When I use my dipper for making ingots, I run the dip under the surface and then skim the top before drawing out the dipper.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    Now my ingot mold is a pile of driveway sand that I stick a 2x4 into to make rectangular impressions to sandcast in. No stick, it's beautiful.
    I had wondered about possibly sand casting, but I hadn't seen anyone else mention it, so I had figured that there must be other problems with it. Does the sand stick to the ingots and get in your casting pot? Is there an issue with having to ensure that the sand isn't moist?

Sand casting of objects has been around for a really long time. I believe that it was the very first type of casting. I can see how it would be easy to make an cast pattern out of a 2x4 that would ensure that you had a consistent sand mold each time.
    Last edited by grumman581; 03-02-2010 at 04:14 PM.

I just figured I'd end up with a bunch of sand in my pot.

I just started this journey myself and went with the cheap muffin tins from Walmart. The 1st ones I poured (WW and 3% Lead from the local mine) fell out like a charm, the 2nd time they all stuck. They broke out of the tray on me too. I got a cast iron triangle corn bread pan, it worked like a charm. I got a ear corn tray today. I also got a small brasing pot that should make about a 5-7 Lb ingot. I believe I'm hooked on this Casting stuff. Thanks Guys.

Oh, My avatar is my Grandson, he is Grandpa's buddy boy. I just had to brag on him.

Kids are so damn cool at that age.....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by carpetman View Post
    Andy P---Yes teflon flu---you have to use your casting thermometer as your temperature will be too high for a regular thermometer. Doesn't matter if oral or anal thermometer---wont work on teflon flu. Know the difference in anal and oral thermometers---taste.
    ROFLMAO...
    You can't buy common sense,and stupidity can't be fixed!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by spurrit View Post
    I just figured I'd end up with a bunch of sand in my pot.
    I'm out of wheel weights at the moment, otherwise, I would give sand casting a try. For sand casting of objects other than ingots, they use a different type of clay / sand mixture and it is packed fairly tight in order to get all the fine details of the positive mold. For just casting ingots, I don't see packing the sand that tight as being completely necessary. I suspect that the firmer the better, but nothing that a couple of whacks with a flat point shovel or a tamper wouldn't be able to do.

My smelting rig is not that large (cast iron dutch oven), but I usually don't start up my smelting unless I have at least a 5g bucket of wheel weights to work with. Anything less is not worth the trouble to get everything set up. And on top of that, I have to wait for the wind to be from the right direction (so my neighbors don't notice it and call the cops on me) and it also has to be a clear night with no chance of rain.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by spurrit View Post
    Kids are so damn cool at that age.....
    And then they grow up and you start wondering why post-natal abortions are not legal....

Boolit Master
    Teflon (polytetrafluoroethylene) is wonderful stuff, but not if heated about 500°F or so.
    Aluminum, as I remember, has a greater coefficient of thermal expansion and it has locked the ingots in place. A slight heating will cause the aluminum to expand more than the ingots, and the ingots will drop out. You won't need to melt the ingots, just heat up the aluminum until the ingots drop out.
    I would not use aluminum for this purpose.

Boolit Master
    If you are going to sand cast, I would think that any moisture at all would be a major issue.

ingot moulds

I have about 30 angle moulds that I have made they are easy to make and even easyer to use fill them up with lead with out over filling them let the lead get hard flip them over with a pair of pliers out pops the ingot I have lee moulds I have them for my soft lead I have a bunch of the lyman saco 4 cavity moulds I don't use them any more I have to hit them sometimes to get the ingot out if any one want some of these angle moulds pm me I can make them up to 4 cavity D Crockett

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    That's true. My wife burned up a Teflon pan in the kitchen once. We had to leave the house. I opened the doors and let it air out for a good while before we came back in. I was coughing terribly for days, with a lingering mild cough for a good while afterward. That was some nasty gas!
    I have no sense of smell, lost in the Corps overseas. Wifey was roasting jalapeņos on comal, wandered away & forgot them. The clouds of noxious teargas was a real nose opener! Even the cat abandoned me! Don't take much to burn teflon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post

LMAO

Razor
    Yea, chocolate flavored!!! Actually have done that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just read this whole thread. The Sand casting sounds like an easy way. The town barn is just up the street.Take a half sheet of plywood, 2x4's around edge fill with damp sand. put in wedges of 2x4 in for forms, tamp in place. Remove the forms, let dry. Cast away.Easy clean up, just pour the sand out. Very slick Idea.Have to try when I get the next batch of ww's saved up.Leo

Boolit Master

I Just read this thread through for the 3rd time. I know that folks cast their own bullets to save money and/or shoot more.
    I grew up at a time when the only way to get bullets for loading was to cast your own.
    So forgive me if I don't understand the pennywise/poundfoolishness of many bullet casters.
    Cast Iron ingot molds from bullet mold manufacturer's came out sometime in the 1950's. Before that old cast iron cupcake pans and other shapes of cast iron that could by used. I keep my cast iron ingot molds clean and oiled, I never have any "release" problems. I have some ingot molds from SAECO & OHAUS that may even be older than me. (64 in March) I use the different brands of ingot molds to pour/store different alloys. I even have some blank one's and a triangle/scone pan to store unknown range lead, which differs in hardness with every batch. I've been buying these branded ingot molds at swapmeets,gun shows & garage sales, for 50+yrs.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is don't skimp on some thing that actually is an important aspect of our bullet
    casting techniques. Cast Iron is safest and easiest to use. Please use it. The few extra bucks will make life easier. After the pie shapes from the scone pan can even be labeled with a marksalot.
    Last edited by Walks; 02-11-2018 at 12:37 AM.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast