Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything PBcastco
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Help!!! lol Stuck ingots

Boolit Bub
    I can't believe you guys!! Not one has suggested making your own. I took some 11/2" angle iron about 6" long 6 is what I used. Welded a piece of flat bar to each end, note: I put the angle iron like this.vvvvvv This serves pretty good for a homemade ingot mold, I made 2 and put a 12" piece of 1/2" pipe for a handle. Each ingot weighs about 1 pound. Mac

yea you have magnetic aluminum--rare stuff. Whatever you do get the muffin pans to work---ingot molds are way to costly.

Boolit Grand Master
    I just made an angle alluminum ingot mould. Welded each end of a section of angle with a short section of angle. Gave it legs, if you will, on the end so it sits up off the table by a 1/4 inch or so. Stable. Pours a nice triangle rod of material. Cools fast. ........and best of all, it suits my budget!!

Congratulations, you just re-invented the wheel. Guys been doing that here since forever.

Andy P---Yes teflon flu---you have to use your casting thermometer as your temperature will be too high for a regular thermometer. Doesn't matter if oral or anal thermometer---wont work on teflon flu. Know the difference in anal and oral thermometers---taste.

Boolit Buddy

Ewwwwww!!!

actually,I thought that the sand casting idea showed remarkable outside the box cranial interaction

Know the difference in anal and oral thermometers---taste.

LMAO

Razor

Boolit Buddy
    I'm with Ricochet. I've been using the same cast iron corn stick moulds for 25 years.

Boolit Bub
    I'm as frugal as the next guy but I get a great deal of satisfaction from seeing my ingots cast in nice uniform shapes and neatly stacked up.

I bought four Saeco ingot moulds and they are worth every penny.

I do have a cornbread pan that makes 8 wedges that I use for straight ww metal. The cavities don't really have enough draft and anything other that ww metal sticks to bad.

When I alloy a batch with tin I pour them in the Saeco moulds.

I saw a pan like this the other day at a flea market and thought it would work better than the typical corn stick pan. This one I saw they wanted $40 for.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Griswold-no-21-c...ayphotohosting

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

casting

dragoon:I just sent message to first poster then I saw the date.I have a Griswald
    and I payed couple bucks.Hardwear stores have muffin pans and corn stick pans in cast iron for about $6.00.
    There should be a sticky for this subject.I must have read 25 posts on many sites.
    I dont know about LODGE. they seem to be higher than the hardwear stores selling their products.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Master

I use the Lee ingot molds, they were on sale and I bought 4, I already have a Lyman and a couple of RCBS one. They work for me. Corn bread molds, well the price would have to be right before I would invest in those.

I have a Lodge dutch oven and the cast iron ladle, both are well worth the price.

Jerry
    Honor is a Way of Life

NRA Benefactor Life Member

I found the best mold is a cast iron device that is used to make corn bread sticks, or something made of cast iron. U can often pick them up at thrift stores for a couple of bucks. A variety of shapes can help if u cast more than one alloy. Corn bread sticks for WW; cast iron muffin mold for lead and so on. Might take a while to gather everything u need, but if u have a spouse that frequents the thrift stores, it would give her a goal.

)

Don

Lets see we have the cost of PAM which would be ongoing. We have the cost of driving all over town to thrift stores and really dont know if the muffin pans we find will work or not---aluminum?Teflon? right taper? rusted? Non rusted? And then will they be the right size will the ingots go in the pot??? Certainly dont spend $15 for a cast iron ingot mold that we know will work. Just not creative and certainly shows some type of a warped mind to do something that foolish.

Oh, yeah? I hit garage sales like crazy for a while, to pick up cast iron for swinging targets for my cowboy loads. Fist shot, light load, cast .45 Colt load shot a hole in a skillet.

Dad and I got a laugh out of it. When he died, it was still sitting in his kitchen. I gave him his first handgun, a cheapo .22, then followed it with a .357 Blackhawk, and I handmade his gunbelt. Marvin Leroy Morgan was a pretty good grandad. He took me in to raise, let me call him "Dad", taught me quite a bit, and was the best friend I ever had.

I still have both of those guns, his saddle, and his horses, who have a home until they die.

Boolit Master

If you have to buy new, Cabela's has Lodge cast iron pans on sale right now. I got mine on sale several years ago when we passed through Nebraska on our way to Yellowstone. Regardless, they are cheaper than RCBS, Lyman, or SAECO ingot molds. I got the regular round muffin pans. They have little fish, cactus, corn cob, etc.

muffin tins

Quote Originally Posted by leftiye View Post
    I don't know where you went wrong, but I'd spray the next muffin pan with Franklin arsenal mold release maybe!
    some tins are steel but I got fed up and bought a pair of cast Iron muffin pan and two iron cornbread stick molds and no sticking.

My unrefined alloy is in the muffins and the elongated cornbread mould for my ready to use ally and they stand on end neatly in the pot

yodar

Boolit Bub
    My ingot molds are empty soda cans. I use a manual can opener to cut the top off then wash and dry them, then fill with molten/cleaned WW's.

Each one holds 7.5lbs or so. They stack and store well and the can can easily be pulled off with pliers when I need to use an ingot.

Ted

Boolit Buddy
    Old (yard sale) dirty, rusty, nasty - cast iron muffin pans work just fine, be sure to clean any "grease" out of them first. Even the cheap imported (new) cast iron muffin pans will work also. The little "corn bread sticks" cast iron pans are also an option. One individual I know uses stainless steel "egg poaching" inserts individually. It works for him, he handles them with a pair of channel lock pliers held upside down and sets them on a "dry" concrete block to cool. Wear welders gloves and eye protection, be careful, Safeshot
    Getting old is the best you can hope for.

Boolit Master

Talking

I sat here reading about some of the troubles some of you had and recall how mine were sticking and decided that this is supposed to be enjoyable not a exercise in frustration. I solved my problem, at wallmart I bought four 8" cast iron frying pans, these are for making 20+ lb ingots after I do my first melt from my 11qt dutch oven. Then for when I mix my alloy I bought four more cast iron pans made by lodge that make 8 ingots each that weigh 2.5lbs each and they fit in my Wage or LEE 20lb pot with no problem.
    Last edited by Doc Highwall; 08-21-2008 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Swamprat, interesting. I've never used aluminum cup cake pans but the only SWAG I can come up with sounds like the aluminum was too thin and when the hot alloy filled the cup it stretched with the heat. When the alloy cooled off and shrank (lead shrinks when cooled) the aluminum just shrank with it so the ingot didn't come loose. This is just a SWAG for lack of thinking of anything else. You might try freezing them, that might shrink'em enough to get'em out.

Let us know the outcome, there are probably several folks that have had similair experiences.

Rick
    Yep! that's what I was going to say. Might freeze them and throw them on concrete. Just an idea.
    Last edited by Just Duke; 08-09-2008 at 07:18 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast