Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Help!!! lol Stuck ingots

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Beware of rusty ingot molds!!!!! The rust absorbs moisture from the air, especially here in high humidity Louisiana. When you fill a rusty muffin tin here, it spits, sputters, and splatters lead.

Boolit Buddy

lolol

I love the computer,the internet and gun related forums
    I was just ponderin stealin one of wifey's old muffin pans(having spent a bunch on pots,lubrisizers,and moulds.)
    I'm glad I saw this thread.time to keep readin!

To keep ingots from sticking dont melt the alloy. Take your pocket knife and pulverize the wheel weightts are whatever your rendering. Maybe pulverize is not right word,but anyways you whittle on em and put the shavings into the muffin pan and mix up cream of wheat maybe to make a glue to hold the shavings together. You now have an ingot that will easily slide out of any muffin tin and you wont have to be concerned what material they are made of and will be able to use any muffin pan on the planet and not be out the sky rocketing price of an ingot mold.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by wills View Post
    I seem to recall someone saying teflon gives off toxic gas if you heat it hot enough to burn it off the pan.
    If you do a search for Teflon Flu you'll find that Dupont has known about this problem with teflon since before it's release. They determined that the health hazard to us consumers is not worth lowering their profit margin.

Bottom line. It would be better for us all if we avoided teflon in the kitchen as well as the smelting process.

Cook with cast iron and smelt with it too.

Mechdriver

Boolit Buddy
    Junior—

"High humidity Louisiana?" We never noticed high humidity when we visited #1 son when he was at Tulane...we just thought it was nature's way of saying it's time to get inside somewhere for a drink!

Even in Southern California my Lyman cast iron ingot moulds will rust and sputter. I just rest them on the outside ring (frame) of the turkey fryer to warm as the first load of WWs is melting. Problem solved.
    Plans and dreams are what we have until life gets in the way.

XNGH E Clampus Vitus, Platrix Chapter No. 2 "Credo Quia Absurdum"

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

ingot molds

go to the hardware store and get cast iron muffin pans or corn bread pans.they much better and will drop the ingots out.I have them and cast iron bread stick pans you get variety and weight.--
    WILDCATT

Boolit Mold
    Teflon is a very long string of carbon atoms, with a bunch of fluorine atoms stuck on. I don't know exactly what comes off this stuff when you overheat it, but it can't be good.

F F F F F
    ! ! ! ! !
    F- C-C-C-C-C-F
    ! ! ! ! !
    F F F F F

Something like this, only a lot longer. Best I can do on keyboard.

Boolit Buddy
    Just don't leave them in the pan so long. Barely solid is fine and dump em over. I've never had a problem doing this.

Whatever you do...don't ever let a boolit cool completely in a mould. They are the devil to get out. Ask me how I know...

In Remembrance

I always leave the last boolit in the mold when I'm done casting. I figure it protects the mold.I smoke the mold cavities and don't have too bad a problem getting the cold boolit out. Dale

Boolit Master

Why not just buy some of the Lyman/RCBS/Lee ingot molds like I did 30+ years ago. They work real good.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

have you priced then lately? clint

Boolit Mold

Smile gettin' the lead out.....

If you spray your muffin tins with either Midway's Mold release or Molybdenum disulfide the ersatz ingots will just fall out when you tip 'em over. It is not recommended to sneak the pan back into the kitchen cupboard after so using it.

Boolit Buddy

It does cost but if you do a search for Griswold on ebay you'll find cast iron trays that are great for ingots and you will never worry about stuck or bent trays. They will last a lifetime. Worth the money if you wait for the right deal.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by carpetman View Post
    To keep ingots from sticking dont melt the alloy. Take your pocket knife and pulverize the wheel weightts are whatever your rendering. Maybe pulverize is not right word,but anyways you whittle on em and put the shavings into the muffin pan and mix up cream of wheat maybe to make a glue to hold the shavings together. You now have an ingot that will easily slide out of any muffin tin and you wont have to be concerned what material they are made of and will be able to use any muffin pan on the planet and not be out the sky rocketing price of an ingot mold.
    you have a heckuva lot more free time than i have! sure wouldnt want to put one of these in a pot of molten lead.
    wheeze

Boolit Buddy
    wheezengeezer—
    Too much free time is what brings us to this hobby....
    Plans and dreams are what we have until life gets in the way.

XNGH E Clampus Vitus, Platrix Chapter No. 2 "Credo Quia Absurdum"

Moderator Emeritus

I just rub mine with a stick of parrafin while they're warm, and they're good to go the next time.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

I use steel teflon coated muffin and min-load pans, and the ingots drop out like nobody's business.

"Teflon Flu"? Is that the latest myth to feed the worry warts? I smelt outdoors, and the highest temp to which the pans are ever heated is about 600F and only briefly - not too far above Baking muffins in the oven temp. We're not talking taking a torch to them and snorting the fumes.

Thumbs up Old Thread

Do I remember an old thread, I think started by BruceB, wherein he described making ingot moulds from angle iron.

Maybe 1 1/2" or 2" on a side and cut to length so the ingots are an inch or 2 shorter than the inside of an ammo can. The triangular ingots nest very well, and being just shorter than the storage container allows your finger to reach in at the end and pull 1 or 2 ingots out.

Ends welded on, on the outside so nothing for the ingots to "grip" when cooled.
    Regards,

WE

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by wills View Post
    I seem to recall someone saying teflon gives off toxic gas if you heat it hot enough to burn it off the pan.
    Anything over 475 and teflon is nasty.

I did the same thing with my first ingots. The muffin pan isn't aluminum, it is TIN coated steel... The lead alloyed with the tin, making it impossible to get them out. I had to pop out each cub and peel the steel off the ingots. Now my ingot mold is a pile of driveway sand that I stick a 2x4 into to make rectangular impressions to sandcast in. No stick, it's beautiful.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast