MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision PBcastco
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: muffin pans

Boolit Buddy
    Doggone, you guys got me in trouble with the Boss, I told her I need yard sell muffin pans. "She who must be obeyed", came home with a stack of them. This is before I read they don't work and I went on a buying spree on e-bay for the cast iron. Heck they cost more to ship than to buy.

Stick those yard sale muffin pans outside to rust a little, and they will work fine!
    Gun CONTROL Means Puttin Them BOOLITS Where I Want 'Em !

Boolit Master

hope this works, this one is a little crude, but it does the job!!!.........Lee

Crappy picture! But Oh well................

jb12k has it right,A coating of rust will let them just fall out.To speed up the process just drink a few brews and pee in them! This will also keep you from ever using them again for non lead
    If shooting,fixing,making and thunking were easy.Everyone would be doing it.

There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental,
    justifiable, and praiseworthy.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Jim

Boolit Buddy
    Sooooo helpful, thank you (I think)!

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Stay away from the aluminum ones. When they're filled with lead and you try to pick them up, they'll bend between the muffin cavities. I've made a bunch of ingots with them, but they're more trouble than they're worth. In addition, the muffin-sized ingots don't fit well in a Lee 10 pound pot.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

While at a Dollar Tree store a while ago, I found a 4 or 6 pack of small stainless Custard cups ? About 2 inches tall, tapered from the bottom to wider mouth. Maybe 1 1/2 inches wide at bottom and 2 inch at top. These work great if you ladle pour into them carefully, and are ideal size for 10 lb pot. Only problem is stability. On level table they seem OK, But I am going to make a tray or framework for them. Ingots are small enough that they shouldn't cool the pot much at all if added singly. At 4 or 6 for $1.00, for stainless, these work for me!!
    Gun CONTROL Means Puttin Them BOOLITS Where I Want 'Em !

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

ONE OF THE sIMPSONS HARDWARE STORES HAD CAST PANS was looking at 2 days ago price was under $10.muffin/corn bread sticks and also kettles.

Boolit Buddy
    Lee,

Is that 1 1/2" or 2" angle your ingot mold is made of? I'm really impressed with the handle. Time to fire up the chop saw, the welder, and get busy.

Boolit Master
    It's 1 1/2" angle iron. 3 cavities with the ends and steel handle extension is pretty heavy. I don't think a 4 banger would be much fun to handle. Each cavity is 4" long, the end pieces just over 6" long. And a 4" piece of 1" square tubing cut at slight angles to weld to the end piece. Old welding rod doesn't work very well, but it does make things stick for my purposes. (If I wasn't too lazy to remove all the paint before I welded, that would help also ) Wood handle cut down to fit very snugly inside tubing, tapped in place with a mallet.
    Well, its ugly, but its all mine.........................Lee

Boolit Buddy
    Why not put them out in the rain? Well when you have several lead lined doors setting out for several years waiting to fall apart, why not? She says the "yard couldn't look any worse anyway", (little does she know).

I use the regular cheap steel muffin pans, not the aluminum. And I use the Frankford Arsenal Drop Out mold release spray in the muffin pans. You only have to use it once, and I've never had a stuck lead muffin. But the key is to only leave the lead in the pans just long enough to solidify and then dump them out. If you leave it too long the lead gets stuck. If I remember, I pour the lead and leave it in the pans for about 10 or 15 minutes.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I use a simple mold I made from angle iron. No handles. I just use welders gloves to flip it over. If I were to go with a baking mold, I’d go for cast iron.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12