MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingPBcastcoRepackbox
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: muffin pans

Boolit Master

muffin pans

Which pan would ya'll recommend? I have tried just the plain pan and the lead got stuck,ruin the pan getting them out.Now,the one with the coating on it ,does it come loose ? Become burned, or does it maintain itself. I saw a small loaf pan at Kroger's and thought it might make a good ingot mould.Could make storage of WW a little more viable. Thanks a bunch guy's.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Master

Some have spoken well of the various steel and aluminum pans, but I like cast iron. Whatever shape you find that will cast an ingot that fits in your pot will work fine. I have muffin, half cylinder and a Lyman ingot mold. The Lyman I use to catch drips from the bottom pour. Get out to some yard sales and flea markets this weekend. Anything you find will be a tenth the price of store bought. Good luck.

Ken

Boolit Grand Master

I use ingots but got tired of moulding them after awhile. I started using the 1 qt cast iron pot that I pour from. They stack easy and take up little space and fit back in the pot for remelting. Soda or beer cans work great too. They are free and keep the lead clean untill needed. Come out to a hair under 9# and you just strip the lead off when needed. You just have to make sure they are absolutely dry before using!
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master

I use cast iron muffin pans like these.

https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefro...idProduct=3951

They are a little pricey if you buy retail. I got 5 of them on closeout at a Cabela's store in Nebraska while on our way to Yellowstone a few years ago. Look at garage sales. No telling what you might find. Lodge also has an outlet store near Chattanooga. Good prices but they don't ship.

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Lyman, RCBS, and Saeco make muffin pans out of cast iron that make stackable bread loaf shaped ingots. The ingots never stick and the moulds seem to be indestructable. The moulds even take dropping on a steel plate to dislodge the ingots in stride. I use two of the one lb. loaf moulds, one Lyman, one RCBS, which are enough for my twelve lb. Potter smelting pot. The Lyman mould is about forty years old and the RCBS is only a year or two old. I also have a 9 oz. mould that came with the Potter pot which I use for tape-on pure lead ingots. Total investment in these three moulds is about $ 17, and I have never had to drive around and search yard sales. Lyman, Potter, RCBS, Saeco, and retail baking equipment distributors, such as Graf and Midway ship right to my door!
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

I gave up on the muffin pans after a couple of bad experiences, most modern muffin pans have the cups pressed into a sheet steel frame. If the lead sticks to the cups you have to beat the cr%# out of it to release the cups and then peel the cup from the ingot so the only last for one pour. Heres what I use, 1st pic- cast iron cornbread pan, 2lb ingot. 2nd pic- sheet steel loaf pan, 6lb ingot. 3rd pic- Lee aluminum mold, 1lb & .5 lb ingots. The first two ingot molds were bought at Wally World. All of these are easy to stack and make alloying easy because the weight of the ingots are known.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ingots 001.JPE   ingots 002.JPE   ingots 003.JPE   ingots 004.JPE  

I started out with my wife's aluminum muffins pans and quickly abandonned that - the lead stuck like crazy, they became very soft with the heat and bent out of shape, plus the muffins tasted funny.

I now use dollar store coated steel muffin pans and am very happy. I fill a large one (a dozen 2.2 lb ingots) and a small one (a dozen 1.1 lb ingots) at a time, and add and skim a bunch more WW to my melt pot while they're cooling. That's 40 lbs at a time, and by the time I'm ready to add more melt, they're cooled enough to flip over to remove the ingots. The two sizes are about perfect for storage, handling and use, and it's nice to have more than one size available.

Boolit Master

If you do use teflon coated muffin tins, make sure you use them outside with lots of ventilation. Apparently burning teflon fumes are toxic and are especially deadly to pet birds.

Boolit Master
    you can find cast iron muffin pans on ebay. i got 5 from there

Taylor what part of TN are you located.

Boolit Master

Thank's to all for the input.I am using a cast iron mold,but they still stick some.Just thought the loaf pan might work well.Wanted to see if anyone else had tried them,and what luck they had. (Clarksville)
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Master

Following a link on here, to another link, to some pics on another website, I saw something that struck me. The guy had taken angle-iron, cut it off at about 10-12" and welded on triangular-shaped end-caps. When he stacked these, they over-lapped to fill up all of the void area in-between ingots to maximize the compactness of his storage. Very neat idea, and they are very stable/won't fall over, like the trapezoid-shaped ingots from Lyman/RCBS moulds.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range jawjaboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jawjaboy View Post

I'll trade you a custom CRB hat for one of those nice ingot molds.

Quote Originally Posted by cohutt View Post
    I'll trade you a custom CRB hat for one of those nice ingot molds.
    It's a done deal....meybee! What else ye got?

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    jawjaboy, I haven't seen any mention of "I go Pogo" since the 1952 Presidential campaign, back when I was a tenth grader. I'm sure you heard about it from your parents.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jawjaboy View Post
    These aren't the ones I was referring too, but that's OK, cause these are MUCH nicer made (like someone actually cared about craftsmanship ).

Quote Originally Posted by NVcurmudgeon View Post
    jawjaboy, I haven't seen any mention of "I go Pogo" since the 1952 Presidential campaign, back when I was a tenth grader. I'm sure you heard about it from your parents.
    I remember Pogo very well, even in the 50's. He lived in the Okefenokee Swamp y'know....I'm just down the road from the swamp!

In Remembrance
    I've still got my "I Go Pogo" pin and most of the books. Walt Kelly was a Wis. boy and I would laugh 'til the tears ran down my cheeks every Sunday.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Moderator Emeritus

I remember my father quoting often "We have met the enemy, and he is us". from the old Pogo strip. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast