MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GP-100 Fans???

Boolit Master

GP-100 Fans???

Hi,
    Just put a blue 6" LNIB used Ruger GP-100 on layaway for $500. Not a great price maybe but these pistols are hard to find where I live and don't sit in the gun case to long at the gun shops! Had plastic box papers and even the plastic slip cover. Looked the SN up and it's a 2011! Down side is it has the Hogue rubber grips but although very ugly do feel nice in the hand. Looking for some of the original rubber/wood grips. So how bad did I do? Looking for you GP-100 addicts!
    Last edited by seagiant; 12-19-2012 at 05:11 PM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Buddy
    Not a bad deal.
    The Hogues are ugly. The first thing I did was buy a set of traditional Ruger grips w/ inserts. That lasted two weeks. Went back to the Hogues because they fit better and my DA shooting is noticeably better with them.

Boolit Master

They are great guns. I bought a 6" half lug version back in the 90's and have shot the snot out of it. The only thing I don't like about them is the crane area gunks up over time and is a b*tch to clean out. Bullet lube gets blown in there and makes the cylinder "draggy". S&W cranes are much easier to clean.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    Its about right or maybe slightly lower than what they go for around here. You got a good gun that should serve you for a long time. I have the same gun in SS and it shoots great. Haven't made meat with it yet though, so will have to remedy that deficiency first chance I get.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

I have Hogues on all my wheel guns. They just fit! Doesn't Hogue still make the fancy wood models?
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Master
    Has anyone here ever heard of a GP-100 that was DA only? LGS has a fixed sight version that has a dehorned hammer and no single action notch. If it was aftermarket it was beautifully done, there is no trace of the hammer spur. My first thought was that I could lift the hammer part way and then thumb it back for single action. Quite the surprise when I found there was no notch. 4" stainless model with the short lug, IIRC
    Last edited by Alan in Vermont; 12-19-2012 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Spelling

It appears to be a beautiful piece, and IMHO the price is in the ballpark. Shoot the Hogues that came on it awhile, they may grow on you. I changed mine out, but it wasn't easy to find them, and the original grips felt fine.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master

I think you did just fine at $500. I shot a friend's (with Hogues)the other day with some light 38 special cast loads tumble lubed with alox. Got 2.5 inch groups (25 yards) easily rested and 3.5" or so off hand (not so easy for me) which is just about all I can do with anything. No apparent leading after 50 rounds. With practice and load development I'm sure it could do better. I have seen reports of 3/4" out of the box (Ransom Rest). I like the feel, not only the grip, but the center of gravity and geometry, it really feels nested in your hands (compared to my Taurus 66).

Great gun for the money. There's a video online the gun comes apart easy. Trigger group and cylinder group I shoot alot of cast boollits in this gun. Stick with the hogue grips they make a big difference.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Thanks for the feed back! Here's a question. I have a RBH in 41 mag and the cylinder throats were pretty tight. So was wondering how is the GP-100 in this respect? Anyone having to ream their cylinder throats??? Thanks!

Hi Alan,
    I know where one of those are at as we speak and I believe the guy told me they were special made for some law enforcement application. I will try to talk to the guy and see exactly where it came from. I passed on it while looking as I wanted a regular hammer,but you are correct it is DAO!!!
    Last edited by seagiant; 12-19-2012 at 06:45 PM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

They sure do make some fancy grips for the GP-100!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5241.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	56282

Boolit Master

thats a fair deal, i have 3 gp100, one 6" stainless, one 4" stainless (327mag) , one 4" blued. i bought some Houge custom wood grips and it makes a lot better looking gun with pau ferro wood on the blued gun and a different type of wood on the stainless. the 4" blued .357 is my carry gun and it gets a lot of praise with the wood grips. whenever i go to the range i put the rubber grips back on for comfort.

skimmerhead
    Cheap things are not good and Good Thing's Are Not Cheap

the worst part of getting old; is remembering when you were young

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jnovotny View Post
    They sure do make some fancy grips for the GP-100!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5241.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	56282
    nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

skimmerhead
    Cheap things are not good and Good Thing's Are Not Cheap

the worst part of getting old; is remembering when you were young

Boolit Master

I like the factory GP100 SRH grips very much, but the Hogues even more.

The DAO was likely a factory gun. Been a while since I heard of one, but seems like they were made for some LE Agency.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Grand Master
    I prefer the old style rubber/wood grips. The Hogue grips with finger grooves just aren't as comfortable for my hands.

Boolit Master
    fecmech- a tip on GP100 crane areas- actually they are easy to keep clean once you figure out how to take them apart. Once thoroughly clean, squirt a gob of soft grease into where the crud accumulates. Similar to black powder revolvers, it keeps things softer longer.
    Loren

Boolit Master
    I have one. It is stronger than any other .357 Magnum I have. It did have a heavy and poor trigger pull, though.

I recommend getting one of the light spring packs from Wolfe. They are not very expensive. There were three different mainsprings in it. The lightest one failed to fire about 5% of the cartridges, so I went to the middle weight spring. It worked perfectly and greatly improved the trigger. Still not as good as a S&W, but what is.

Perma-Banned

Harry how hard where these to put in I am thinking of doing it on my GP100.
    Thanks John

Quote Originally Posted by Harry O View Post
    I have one. It is stronger than any other .357 Magnum I have. It did have a heavy and poor trigger pull, though.

I recommend getting one of the light spring packs from Wolfe. They are not very expensive. There were three different mainsprings in it. The lightest one failed to fire about 5% of the cartridges, so I went to the middle weight spring. It worked perfectly and greatly improved the trigger. Still not as good as a S&W, but what is.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Still have not heard any reports on the cylinder throat to barrel bore specs????

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a SS version that I bought back in the early 90's. Great gun and very accurate with both cast and jacketed. Mine has a .357" bore and .358" throats.

I also have a Security Six made in the late 70's that I picked up cheap. It had some appearance issues from being carried in a holster, and it became my "test vehicle" for some rather abusive handloading experiments. The Security Six is built like a tank and none the worse for wear, and a GP-100 is every bit as tough.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RugerGP100.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	56383
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast