MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: newbie questions

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    The black stuff on top was probably dirt. Try using sawdust as flux and give it time to pull the dirt out of the lead. Also, scrap around the edge, then filter using a slotted stainless steel spoon before pouring into your molds.

hope this helps,

Dave

Boolit Master
    That'll help, thanks. Should they be smelted again? I poured about a dozen and the bottoms weren't as dirty.

Boolit Grand Master
    I suggest you use parafin, gease, sawdust, oil, etc. to flux while smelting. Save the Marvelux for use when you don't have good ventilation. Parafin wax and such are relatively cheap and make a lot of smoke. Marvelux isn't cheap, but makes no smoke.

The ingots in your picture are fine as they are, no need to remelt until you are ready to cast.

Boolit Master
    Went through 3, five gallon buckets today in 4 hours which filled a milk crate with ingots. It was hot and back-breaking fun. Not sure how the next step is going to go but I hope it's enjoyable too. My favortie part is skimming off the steel brackets. Weird, huh. Thanks for everyones help.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Sounds like you're getting there if you were able to process that much WW in that amount of time. Have you weighed your ingots to see what yield you're getting on your wheel weights? I think your casting bucket is just about the right size.

BTW, something to think about:

A cart can be a real handy thing for getting your casting setup in and out of the garage, etc. I learned this from rbstern after seeing his setup, so cannot take credit for it.

Regards,

Dave

Boolit Master
    A good idear cause setting up and putting up added 30 minutes. The buckets were about only 3/4 full but once the gas was working right it went fairly smooth. After each potfull was finished I picked through more ww and while they were cooking, the ingots cooled enough to empty. The round ingots go 2 to 2 3/8 lbs and the mini-loaf ones a little more.

Btw, what do you do with the stick-on lead? And should you spray something in the pans to help the ingots fall out?

This is todays output not including a few still stuck to the pan.

Boolit Grand Master
    Kinda like making cookies, huh?

The stick on weights are usually pure lead (or close to it). I keep them seperate for use either for barrel slugging tasks or to blended with linotype. I don't shoot black powder, but those that do are always looking for pure lead. It won't hurt anything if you get them mixed in with the clip types, except for the fact that they have that double sided styrafoam tape that burns black and stinky.

If your ingots are sticking in the muffin pans, it means they are coated steel and the lead is trying to solder to the pan. The best solution is to use iron or aluminum. Some high temperature spray on moly lube might prevent the sticking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12