MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GE light bulbs failing.

Boolit Master

GE light bulbs failing.

On Monday morning I entered the kitchen and flipped the overhead light on. It came on for a split second, then went out. There was no bright flash as normally seen when one goes. I replaced it with another from the same package. It was fine all of Tuesday. This morning I did the same thing as Monday and it failed just the same way. I again replaced it with the same type. They are GE Reveal 60 watt bulbs.
    Could I have a circuit problem, or is it more likely to be the bulbs? I have tested the bad ones in other lamps, they are burnt out. Puzzling.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Banned

I think most come from China now. Check the package and see.

Boolit Master

Your bulbs are infected with China virus.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If it happens with another brand or package, definitely check the circuit.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

G.E., the Microsoft of lightbulbs.
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Master

Are they on a dimmer switch? I had a problem with them burning out really fast on a dimmer switch.

I have the same problem with GE 100W bulbs. They last a bit longer than yours but burn out after only a very few hours of operation. Often, the bulb come off the base when unscrewing. GE=GEunk

Boolit Master

Most of the bulbs I change out now the bases are breaking off. It looks like they use some sort of cement that turns to sand when heated. I have started using some electrical grease on the bulb bases to see if it helps as part of the problem is the aluminum bases stick to the aluminum fixtures are difficult to remove. I never had this problem with brass based bulbs. Cheap chinese **** is what they are.

Use a raw potato to remove broken bases. Power off of course. So far Seimens bulbs have been good for me. Non are US made anymore - thanks greenies.

Boolit Grand Master

Phillips bulbs are about the same for durability.
    The compact flourescents are not lasting as long as advertized either. The warranty process is so onerous that I just pitch them when they burn out.

Boolit Master

time to go back to the candles...that way your savingpower usage so the great one can say he's reduced power output from the electric companies!

Boolit Master

Unless the circuit voltage is too high the wiring is not the problem, if that is the case the bulbs would be burning too bright before they go out. Also other electrical devices would be affected so if the bulbs seem brighter than they should it might be a good idea to do a simple circuit voltage test. A light bulb (incandescent) is an extremely simple device and is nothing but a resistance circuit so things like dimmers, etc will not cause them to burn out. Old type light dimmers simply used a resistor to "choke" the current causing the voltage to drop proportional to bulb resistance while the newer type uses a "chopper" circuit that effectively reduces the current draw at the bulb by basically switching the current on and off many times a second depending on the setting, neither type would cause a light bulb to burn out but they may not be good for some other electrical devices.
    Last edited by oldred; 12-19-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Boolit Master

forWhat I hate about the compact florescent lamps, is the time delay from flipping the switch until they actually come on. Enough delay you COULD trip over something on the floor if you keep going froward.

Then, there's the one lamp that continually flickers, with an audible clicking sound while in operation. I'm gonna toss that one, replace it with an incandescent bulb.

Thanks wallenba for the heads up, I'll avoid GE bulbs when I buy more.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    I only use the old incandescent bulbs. I bought a lifetime supply before they were baned.
    Better do the same with reloading supplies.

Boolit Master
    1. They are incandescent bulbs. 2. They burn at normal brightness. 3. They come on briefly before just plain going out, without the normal bright flash. 4. All other circuits seem normal. 5. Not on a dimmer.
    I've been thinkin' (yes it hurts a bit), that maybe they lose their airtightness, they lose the vacuum or the nitrogen leaks out if that's how they do it, then the filament burns through.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

China made bulbs don,t have a good base seal. The glass bulb isn,t sealed at the base this air leak will kill the bulb at the flick of a switch.

Boolit Master
    I knew our countries were close, we have same problems here with greenies, GE bulbs and so called energy savers. Thats a great idea with potato Popper.

Boolit Mold
    have to give the Seimens a try.

Banned
    Standard (today's standard, anyway) QC on GE products. Buy Seimens, as stated, or Phillips. As for CFLs, the first generation bulbs were flat out awful. CFL bulbs produced now are far better at lighting instantly, none of that "warm up" BS. The "warmth" of the light plays a big role in how they look and light things as well. At one time, I wouldn't have CFLs in my house. Today, about 90% of my interior lighting is with CFLs. YOu might look at an online dealer like 1000bulbs and look at their information. There stuff is a LOT better than at your local BB retailer.
    I use CFLs today mostly because it's always hot in S Texas, and the more heat I can keep out of the building envelope, the less I pay for energy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast