PBcastcoWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Felix Lube - the Short Version

Monroe, Washington in the The Great Pacific NorthWet
    Felix, is there a missing "not" in the second sentence of your previous post?
    If not, then I am confused?

Boolit Bub

Separation

Felix, after cooking the 18 ozs. of Baby Oil and Castor Oil for a half hour I turned the heat off and left it in the pan overnight. This morning I stirred it up and poured it in a clear bottle, and after a couple of hours it had separated into two layers. Does this mean I need to cook it longer? You can shake it up and it seems to blend but after a while it will start to separate again.
    Thanks,
    Drifter

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Yes, more cooking, and while you are at it, add some grated (very fine) ivory soap, say a tablespoon per 8 ounces. ... felix
    felix

[QUOTE=felix;173705]Yes, more cooking, and while you are at it, add some grated (very fine) ivory soap, say a tablespoon per 8 ounces. ... felix[/QUOTE]

[B]And sprinkle with parsley.[/B]

Moderator Emeritus

Back to top as the message function does not recognize BTT. It is too short. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Moderator Emeritus

I didnt think there was such a thing as pure sodium stearate - Best I've ever heard of was about 65-70%
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Moderator Emeritus

Ivory is roughly 65% if memory serves.

Banned
    how good for pan lubing?>

Boolit Mold
    has anyone tried Ivory soap (liquid form) instead of shavings?
    Any experience with this lube indoors, does it smoke?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by XDMinent45 View Post
    has anyone tried Ivory soap (liquid form) instead of shavings?
    Any experience with this lube indoors, does it smoke?
    I would take it out in a well ventilated area where females are less likely to be offended. At the very least, it doesn't smell like a bed of roses, and at the worst........well, stuff happens doesn't it?
    Up to and including: spills, splatters, burnt lube, lanolin poisoning (toxic fumes if you get it too hot), smoke, and possibly fire.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Moderator Emeritus

Don't bother with Ivory liquid. The ingredient you are after is sodium stearate or stearic acid and the liquid version of the soap does not contain anywhere near the same amount as the bar soap.

Boolit Mold
    I have been wanting to try a batch of felix lube but am having a hard time locating lanolin. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bentracin View Post
    I have been wanting to try a batch of felix lube but am having a hard time locating lanolin. Any help would be deeply appreciated.
    On line at Walmart. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Home-Healt...fl-oz/28931990

Amazon has it maybe even ebay.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Buddy
    I had a local drug store order me some. Had it in a couple days.

Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Greg, if you could hold the temps and pressures for a big batch like you could a small batch, then the results would be close to being the same. But that's almost impossible without lab grade equipment. Besides that, there is no guarantee that your feed stock to make up the larger batch will be the same as when you made the lube before on the kitchen stove. So, the answer is NO, unless you are lucky. But then, life is too short to not have different batches of lube to play with, and that's the best excuse in existance. ... felix
    I know this is really old post but... can you please explain I am very confused by above statement. Why would it be a problem to heat up more than 3 tablespoons of two different oils and hold temperature? Also what pressure are you speaking of? I though this is to be cooked in open pan and not some kind of of pressure cooker?? Also I am struggling to understand how are you suppose to "cook" 3 tablespoons of oil for 30 minutes in pan, wouldn't that just barely cover the surface of the pot?? What size of pot do you recommend? I have a small amount of Lanolin that looks like earwax in color and consistency that was given to me very long time ago by a relative to use it instead of shaving cream, at the time I didn't know what it was and I tried it but it's way to thick and clogs up razor blades. Since than I tried to use it for lanolin case lube and it never dissolved in ISO HEET, which surprised, it just floated in little chunks. I just made Ben's Red and I got half the block of beewax I can make Felix lube oh and one more thing I've been saving red wax wrappers from laughing cow Babybel cheese, unfortunately I found out it does NOT have carnauba wax in it, it uses microcrystaline wax https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babybel It's consistent with description, tacky and easily molded with fingers. I have some old car wax "cream" that has carnauba wax or I heard people used CS Johnson floor paste instead since it contains 5-10% carnauba wax.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678