Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Sizing jacketed .311 bullets to .308

Boolit Buddy

Sizing jacketed .311 bullets to .308

Is this possible with a lee push through?

yup do it all the time. IF you notice that the lube grooves are getting mashed down, you may want to size less, say to .309 or .310

Have sized down a lot of pulled bullets from 7.62x39 to load in my 308 win. (using the Lee 308 sizer) They work just great. Best to put just a litle case lube on the bullets jacket before pushing them through.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys!

Shredder I think you missed the word 'jacketed' in my title ��

Brstevns how's the accuracy and do you just wash the lube off afterwards?

Boolit Master

Sizing those might not be necessary. I loaded some Winchester .310 dia bullets intented for 7.62x39 into my 300 Blackout and they cycled and grouped just fine. No stress evident on the brass, no flattened primers. Of course, your results may be different, just saying don't be afraid to experiment. I would be more concerned with causing the core to come loose from the jacket than pushing the extra .003" down the bore.

Boolit Master

xd:
    Yes, it is very easy. I have sized .323 jacketed through a .314 Lee push through. The first one is the hardest, due to a dry hole. I even put some lanolin in the die.
    After the first one, the others went very easy. I did coat the outside of the bullets with lanolin. You should use some sort of lube.
    Have fun. Let us know how they turn out. I was told that the jacket will spring back some, causing a separation of the core and jacket. This did make sense to me, but the end result was the size of the push through die
    I loaded and shot some in my Mosin Nagant. No problems, but the accuracy was not what I got out of some of my other jacketed bullets. Not saying it was the downsizing that caused this, some other different jacketed bullets do not shoot well in that rifle either. Some .312 and 313 factory bullets, shoot excellent.
    Jack
    Last edited by littlejack; 12-08-2012 at 11:04 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Hmm jacket seperation was one of my concerns... I don't have a blackout yet but that's what I'm planning to buy. Would sizing them and then putting them on a cookie sheet on the grill and melting the lead work to help with the jacket seperation?

I found 125 grain 7.62x39 bulk bullets. I was going to use those

Boolit Master
    I don't believe a reduction of .003" will make any difference.

Try it then post the result's.

Ruger mini 30s have a .308 bore and shoot all kinds of 7.62x39 ammo.

xd4584 Used these in a 308 win and a cousins 30-06. Groups ran about 1 1/2 inch at a hundred, good enough for the woods hunting we were doing . Most shots we get are about 50 yards.
    I was using the Lee sizing case lube, which is a soap, so washed off easy. I hope this was of some help.

Quote Originally Posted by xd4584 View Post
    thanks guys!

Shredder i think you missed the word 'jacketed' in my title ��

brstevns how's the accuracy and do you just wash the lube off afterwards?
    d'oh!

Boolit Master

I resized 7000 jacketed .311/.312 FMJ bullets I bought through GunBroker 5 years ago in a .308 Lee Push through die. Weights were 149.2 to 150.4 grains. I used a light mist of Dillon Spray lube on them before sizing by spreading several hundred out on plastic wrap and spraying them, letting them dry for 10-15 minutes, then sized.

Accuracy was equal in .308 bolt actions, M1A, and M1 Garand with previous and subsequent surplus 147 & 150 Grain bullets and loads I used in these rifles. I saw no change in diameter of bullets from beginning to end, implying wear was zero or negligible on the Lee Sizing die. I would not hesitate to buy a large lot and do the same again. Your not going to get bench rest accuracy, but the bullets were probably never bench rest quality to begin with.

Mustang

I've read that quip about the jacket springing back more than the core after sizing, can't remember where. Size them .001 over bore diameter and let the bore squeeze the jacket back down as the bullet goes in the throat. I don't imagine there will be much time for any springback to take place between muzzle and target. The lands are going to squeeze the bullet down even more anyway. OK, that's it, off to bed, can't think anymore.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson