RepackboxPBcastcoTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to reloading?

I would like to add that one of the first purchases should be a bullet puller. The beginner needs to learn that if there is any, ANY!!, doubt as to what powder, charge weight, bullet weight, etc. went into those cartridges...........pull them. The way to find out if you've made a mistake is not by pulling the trigger. Perhaps that temptation is lessened if there is a way, at hand, to start over without losing the components.

I have only been reloading for a couple of years. I am not a youngster. I am 67. I have many reloading manuals. I do however routinely go to the internet to learn or take "shortcuts" as it were. What good is knowledge if you can't pass it along. The internet is a fantastic learning device if used correctly.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Estacado View Post
    I have only been reloading for a couple of years. I am not a youngster. I am 67. I have many reloading manuals. I do however routinely go to the internet to learn or take "shortcuts" as it were. What good is knowledge if you can't pass it along. The internet is a fantastic learning device if used correctly.
    As long as you take the info published on the www. with a grain of salt. Like eye witness testimony in a traffic accident or robbery, load info found on the internet needs to be corroborated by at least two other sources, preferably a book or books.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

I have been handloading for 65 yrs. and I still don't know everything. However, I am amazed at some of the irresponsible info put on the www. An accident looking for a place to happen. Get all of the manuals you can. Sometimes even the manuals don't agree on a powder charge. Start with a good single stage press. I have 3 and would not use a progressive if you gave me one. I do not load ammo to save money, I handload because I like to and to make my ammo better than the factories.
    You can save a little bit of money but if you blow up a $800.00 gun or lose a hand or eye you have not saved anything. Handloading is not hard but you do need to pay attention to details [manuals] and forget about speed.
    Handloaders load to shoot more accurate. Reloaders load to shoot more. I have always been a handloader!
    Larry

Boolit Master
    FREE online.
    3rd edition Lyman Cast Bullets.
    just Google it and you can easily download it into your Computer's memory.

Boolit Master
    "Gettin' started" is a heavy function of "where yer coming from".
    GONRA (like, I suspect most of ya'll) just turned out (bad genes?
    cosmic ray hit one of Dad's Sperm Cells? ????) "to be a "gun nut".
    Parents sure hated guns, but the local librarian Mrs. Schumacker
    (husband's Corp. made yer battery charger) always told
    Mom when a new gun book came into the Village Library
    'cause she knew I ate up this stuff......
    Read 'em cover-to-cover....

Phil Sharps (library book) + Lyman reloading manual
    provided all to get started.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12