RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionPBcastco
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Favorite reduced loads

Boolit Grand Master

For years I have been loading in 38 special 3 - 3.5 grains Unique under any soft cast boolit from 150 SWC to 165 WC. I made 2 scoops for these two powder weights and use whichever scoop and whichever boolit depending on who is going shooting with me.

Boolit Master

38 Spec- 3 gr Bullseye-148 WC
    357 mag-5 gr Red Dot- 158 SWC
    44Mag- 8.5 gr Unique-240 SWC
    All boolits cast

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Sierra bullets sent me this.
    "There is a load for Unique with a jacketed 30-30 bullet in 125/130 grain also with about 8 to 8.5 grains. The Unique powder is a little better choice for a reduced load than Blue Dot, since it is easier to ignite. Velocity on that Unique load should be around 1500 fps."

I prefer 13gr of BD under 150gr bullets though. I should say my rifle prefers it.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Reduced loads in the 25-20

4.0 gns. Unique with any cast from 65 to 110 gn.
    3.0 gns. Red Dot with any cast from 65 to 110 gn.
    3.0 gns. 700X with any cast from 65 to 90 gn.
    These loads work well in my lowall.

Banned

500s&w

I have a Handi Rifle in .500 S&W.
    Got tired of breaking scopes(I had to break four of them before deciding full house 500 loadings were not required to kill deer), so I developed a couple of accurate and LIGHTER loadings.
    Using the Lee 440 gr cast boolit, sized with gc's.
    16.5 gr Blue Dot, seated to the first crimp groove.
    22.0 gr Lil'Gun, also seated to the the first crimp groove.
    Both loads are mild enough to shoot all day, and still carry enough punch to take a deer cleanly.

Lately, I've been shooting my Swiss K-31 with an NEI 150gr. FP plain-base. 6.5 gr. of Bullseye must run it around 1050 fps. Very accurate at 100 yds. with a group or two under 1 1/2". Also have been shooting 8.0 gr. of Red Dot with the same bullet. This load is a bit more peppy proabably running 1100-1150, but every bit as accurate as the BE load if not a tad bit more so. Either load should work well in any of the .30 calibers. Maybe next weekend I'll drag the chronograph out and clock them.
    35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Talking 11mm German Service Revolver

5.9 grains Unique, 214 grain Lee SWC, 44 Special case shortened to 1.00".

Don't see any Krag loads here yet, so my favorite is 12.5grs of Blue Dot under the Belding and Mull 311169 Squib bullet. Chronograph says 1575fps, it's ungodly accurate at that speed but throws fliers for me if I go much above that. A lot of folks here shy away from Blue Dot, a friend tried it recently, emailed me, subject: Blue Dot Kicks A--! He'd been doing the 2400 thing before with lackluster results, don't think he'll be going back to that until his BD runs out.

Wink

Am I too late to post my .25 cents here?

I have used around 10 gr of 700X in my milsurps - .303, 8mm, 7.62x54R, 7.62x53Arg, as well as 30-30, 32 Spec, with bullet wgts of 150-170gr, cast #2, WW, Lino, w/ and w/o GC. As accurate as the shooter, at least!

One of my favorite loads is 5 gr 700X under a 93gr Lee in 30-30. I have fired thousands of these.
    I hope there is a gun range in heaven, otherwise I'm going to hell!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Molly View Post
    2. Everyone knows what a squib load is, and most of us play with them at times. One of the nice things about .308 to .312 bores is that 000 buckshot works just fine in them for squib loads, but most other common calibers aren't so fortunate. But a while back, I was reading a BP article that commented on the importance of patch thickness vs ball diameter. The idea was that a thicker patch was needed if your mold cast an undersized ball. A light went on!

I had a 25-20 that I didn't have a mold for (yet), but I had some misc. small buckshot around the shop. Using a case as a guage, it was quick and easy to sort them into (goes in) and (no-go) piles. Then I miked the (goes in) to find a handfull of common size buckshot that went in the case. I preped about 25 cases (primer, belled and charged with (as I recall) 2.0g PB. Then I dug through my wife's rag bag until I found a cotton cloth resembling denim. I soaked it with some Crisco, and blotted it nearly dry. Then I copied the ML approach of placing the patching material over the charged case, adding the buckshot and pressing it flush with the mouth of the case. That was it. I found that it delivered pretty decent accuracy - though I didn't target it, I did shoot a few squirrels with it, quite effectively. The same basic technique should work for any caliber or case, so long as you can get a round ball close to bore diameter, and some sort of cloth that makes it a tight fit in the case.

Molly

We used to load a .433 BP round ball in a 44mag case (44spl case leaves a grease ring
    in 44mag cylinders)
    with cotton from pill bottles over a small charge of Red Dot (I think, it's been a while).
    Seated ball flush with case mouth and scraped lube stick with case mouth.
    Had to clean shaved lead from seating die. Maybe 200fps, could watch the ball fly,
    wouldn't penetrate a beverage can but would flatten 'em and knock 'em 20 ft.
    Recovered balls had about 1/8" of flat from barrel contact, just enough.
    Tried 2 balls with a little more powder, at 50ft they hit about 4" apart, one always low and right of point of aim.

Boolit Man
    In my .30-06 I use 22 grs Acc no.9. With 180 and 200 grains CB it gives a perfect result.

Vendor Sponsor

I have used 14 gr of Trail Boss in my 270 with 130 gr Sierra.
    I don't have a chrony so I can't say the speed, But it is very accurate. You can use Trail Boss for nearly any caliber for reduced loads. It is a ball to play with. Check it out at Hodgdon's site.

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

Have a good 'un, Guy
    Are you in need a pan lube cutter?
    I make custom made cutters in a cutting size of your choice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Please click on the link below . You will find a thread to post your order. Thank you.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...31#post2827331

Support our troops...they are somebody's kids!

Boolit Buddy
    Yup --TRAIL BOSS in everything heck I don't think you really need a scale with this stuff .My 6.5x55
    8mm-762x54 are like shooting a 22 hornet even in the short m39 or 38 not sure 762.54r.
    8mm 230 cast fill till it makes it to the bottom of the neck no problem filled it to the top compressed no problem-dare i say you can load your powder by eye ??

Vendor Sponsor

People say DO NOT compress it.

Hodgdon's site doesn't say don't, however, they do say that the max load is the case full to just under the depth that the bullet base is seated. So, in a round about way...that is saying DO NOT compress.

I have kept that in mind as I have loaded different calibers with trail Boss.

Maybe I will email Hodgdon and ask they specifically......

Have a good 'un ~thecyberguy
    Are you in need a pan lube cutter?
    I make custom made cutters in a cutting size of your choice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Please click on the link below . You will find a thread to post your order. Thank you.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...31#post2827331

Support our troops...they are somebody's kids!

Boolit Mold
    I have had good luck with IMR3031with cast loads for my .358 Win (206gr gas check WW) 31 gr. Also my .32 SPL likes 26 gr with 150gr cast WW. The .358 is a Browning BLR and it will shoot 1/2" at 100 yds. The .32 is a M94 and shoots 1" at 50 yds with open sights and my old eyes. I am looking for load data for 150 and 180 gr cast boolits for the .358. Hank M

Boolit Master

38 spl: 6gr aa7 under 158gr swc

250 sav. 8gr unique under 74 gr cast

300 sav. 10 gr unique under 110 rn

Boolit Bub
    Hey Y'all,

How many grains of H4198 do I need to get 1400 fps with a 405 (.459) hard cast bullet? My rifle is 1895 Marlin.

Mike

Boolit Master

reduced loads

45-70 10 g Unique with 350 g cast

6.5 Jap 14 g 4759 with 170g cast

32 S&W long 2.5 Unique with 90g cast

7.62x39 24 g H322 with 160 g lee

41 mag 6.5 Unique with 210 g cast

Boolit Bub
    Het Y'all,

I do some research and found that 30.0 gr of H4198 should push my 405 slug about 1407 fps. Just thought I'd pass the information on.

Mike
    USMC 1961-1965 and proud to be a Marine.

Boolit Mold
    I've had good luck with 38 special 102gr round nose with 2.8 grains Trailboss. Kicks like a .22.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast