Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
PBcastcoLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data Repackbox
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Favorite reduced loads

Boolit Buddy Blackhawk Convertable's Avatar
    Trail Boss is excellent for mellow plinking loads. I use it almost exclusively in my Cowboy Action loadings. My experience is that if you are loading a bottle neck cartridge, minimum is just fine. If loading a straight wall cartridge, the tendency is to not get a good powder burn (low pressure) until you get toward the middle range of what IMR lists on their web site (http://www.imrpowder.com/trailboss.html). That being said, I use 5.5 grains of Trail Boss in my 44 Special, 38-40 and 44-40 cartridges using a bullet in the 165-175 grain range.

Moderator Emeritus/Boolit Master in Heavens Range
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk Convertable View Post
    [SIZE="5"]Trail Boss is excellent for mellow plinking loads. I use it almost exclusively in my Cowboy Action loadings. My experience is that if you are loading a bottle neck cartridge, minimum is just fine. If loading a straight wall cartridge, the tendency is to not get a good powder burn (low pressure) until you get toward the middle range of what IMR lists on their web site (http://www.imrpowder.com/trailboss.html). That being said, I use 5.5 grains of Trail Boss in my 44 Special, 38-40 and 44-40 cartridges using a bullet in the 165-175 grain range.
    Sounds like a nice general purpose load. Do you ahve any idea what kind of velocities you are getting?

Molly
    Regards,

Molly

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy Blackhawk Convertable's Avatar
    They are in the 750ish FPS range. Like I said before, very light recoil which is perfect for Cowboy Action or just general light plinking loads. Also perfect for starting the kids on a big-bore without them getting beat up by the recoil. The nice thing about Trail Boss is it's bulkiness which will generally overflow if you try to double charge.
    Last edited by wiljen; 06-09-2008 at 06:47 PM.

Boolit Master
    DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!!
    2.5 grains SOLO 1000 under a 44 grain (.311)round ball in a .32 H&R Mag in a Ruger Single Six.
    (round balls available from VillageIdgit...see posts on the forum)

Report just like a .22 and minute of beercan accuracy out to 10 yards. I'll try the 600 yard steels later, once the weather warms up...........Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk Convertable View Post
    They are in the 750ish FPS range. ... The nice thing about Trail Boss is it's bulkiness which will generally overflow if you try to double charge.
    Sounds like fun. Might have to play a bit with it, but right now am preparing to teach three guys to reload.

BTW, the heavy, bold text isn't really necessary. Some folks take it at the equivalent of shouting in their ear, and don't like it at all.

Regards,
    Molly
    Regards,

Molly

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!!
    2.5 grains SOLO 1000 under a 44 grain (.311)round ball in a .32 H&R Mag in a Ruger Single Six. (round balls available from VillageIdgit...see posts on the forum)
    Round balls are also available as 5 pound bags of buckshot, dirt cheap, and work great.

Molly
    Regards,

Molly

Boolit Mold
    7.62/39 6.5 red dot lee 185 .311 ruger 77 about 2inch group at 100yds

Boolit Master

Coastie,
    Years ago I fooled around with #3 buck and about 8 grains of unique.
    had to cut open a 20 ga shotshell to get the buck shot. Back then I did not know about copper fouling wrecking lead accuracy and results were not good. Did kill a down deer with one once.
    I have a couple of 20 ga buck loads and some 243 cast bullets and gas checks laying around though. Trade you something for some.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Mold

Kid friendly loads

I use 10 grains of Unique behind all standard bullet weights in my "big" levers and single shots so my small kids can shoot them. This includes 45/70, 50/70, 30-40, 308, 348, 33 Win, 375 Win, etc. I have never tried this load in any caliber below 30 nor in any cartridge smaller then the 30-30. The loads shoot accurate and are very mild.
    Enjoy.

38 Special: 148 HBWC over 2.1 grains WW231. Recoils like a .22 LR and is accurate. Got this from an old Shooting Times article in the 80's. I also ran 2.3 WW231 in 357 cases for similar results. I ran with bullets up to 158 gr SWC also. Its a great load for teaching new shooters. Never had a bullet stuck either with barrels from 2" up to 6".

9mm: 124 gr. Lee TL bullet (TL356-124-TC) over 3.0 gr WW231. A fun plinker with low recoil in a G19 with a 13# reduced recoil spring from Wolff.

45 Colt: 250 gr. RNFP over 6.5 WW 231. Easy load for the old revolvers or just plinking.

30-06: Lyman #31141 170 gr. over 11.0 grains Red Dot. Decent at 100 yards and also makes a great close range finishing round for wounded animals.

The last few days I've been playing with 45 Colt two-ball loads; two .454" muzzleloader round balls over 4gr of Unique. Haven't chronographed it, but the balls only penetrate about halfway through a 2x10 board. They do bust the board in half pretty nicely though. I found it works better to tumble lube the round balls in LLA to prevent leading.

9mm............. 3.8 grains of WSF with a 147 gr lead FN bullet is a light paper punching load....very little recoil....great for gun games!

Does anyone know a good reduced load for 30-06 using jacketed factory bullets? I have seen loads on this site for @ 8 grns. of Unique which I have lots of, but they seem to want to use a lead Boolit. Would this work with jacketed?? I have a lot of .30 cal. jacketed bullets left over from the past. Thanks.

Ed

Boolit Buddy
    The powder companies have shy'd away from unique with jacketed rifle bullets. Possible
    detonation problems I've heard.

The powders recommended for reduced jacketed rifle loads today are SR4759 and xmp 5744.

In the Lyman #48 they list reduced loads for 30-06 in the single shot pistol section.

150 grain sierra RN bullet with Winchester primers and brass
    30 grains Sr-4759 is their accuracy load at 2208 fps.

Boolit Buddy
    Ed Harris recommended his (a) "The Load" of 13 gr of Red Dot that will work in any 1898+ (strong action) 30 cal+, and cases at least as large as a 30-40 Krag with both lead and jacketed boolits/bullets in the normal weight for each caliber. There is a thread on the cast bullet association forum:

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum...87&forum_id=22

Hopefully it is Ok to post this on this Forum.

Wineman

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by clearwater View Post
    The powder companies have shy'd away from unique with jacketed rifle bullets. Possible
    detonation problems I've heard.
    Possible stuck bullets and a blowup when a following one hit the obstruction would seem more likely.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Quote Originally Posted by Riverrat View Post
    Does anyone know a good reduced load for 30-06 using jacketed factory bullets? I have seen loads on this site for @ 8 grns. of Unique which I have lots of, but they seem to want to use a lead Boolit. Would this work with jacketed?? I have a lot of .30 cal. jacketed bullets left over from the past. Thanks.

Ed
    Speer #14 lists reduced loads for 30-06. (1) 150 grain bullet over 26.0 - 28.0 grains of AA5744 for 1933 - 2052 fps. (2) 165 grain bullet over 21.0 - 25.0 grains of SR 4759 for 1616 - 1941 fps. (3) 180 grain bullet over 26.0 - 30.0 grains of IMR 4198 for 1723-2000 fps.

I'm looking for a light load for 45-70 Government to use in a Marlin 1895g. Any suggestions. I'm starting from scratch and don't have bullets or powder for it yet. I'll be using cast bullets. I've got access to 300gr, RNFP bullets and am planning to buy 250 to start. If they work well I'll start casting my own.

Thanks,
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Pitmaster if you go here http://www.gmdr.com/ and click on Oregon Trail Cowboy data you will find low velocity loads for the following. 30-30 Winchester, 30-30 Ackley Improved
    30-06 Springfield, 300 WSM., 300 Win Mag, 300 Rem Ultra Mag, 32-20 Winchester
    32 Win Special, 35 Remington, 357 Magnum, 375 Winchester, 375 H&H Magnum
    41 Rem Magnum, 44 Rem Magnum, 44 S&W Special, 44-40 Winchester
    44 S&W Russian, 444 Marlin, 45-70 Government, 450 Marlin, 450 Alaskan

If you click on additional data you will find even more recipes.
    Last edited by jimkim; 09-11-2008 at 01:27 PM.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master
    MY favorite reduced load is also my "standard" load for target shooting, as well as hunting:

for 8 x 57 JS (8mm Mauser)

170 gr. cast flat-nose bullet, BHN of 15, sized to .314"...paper-patched with two wraps of lined loose-leaf notebook paper, final dry diameter of about .3237", lubed with 1 coat of Lee Liquid Alox.

28.0 grains of IMR-4064

0.3 to 0.4 gr. of cotton wool filler

Win. or R-P cases

Win. LR primers

Velocity a bit less than 2000 fps through an (essentially) new barrel, 20" long.

Accuracy potential - as close as I can shoot them. Best 5 round group so far: about 3/4" .

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast