Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: rollcall for ruger #1 in 45/70

rollcall for ruger #1 in 45/70

im looking into one of these and i was wondering who has one out there thanks

Boolit Master
    We have one for sale. Has a Weaver K 1.5 to 4.5X and Pachmayer decelerator pad and sights. $600.00 to the USA
    BIC/BS

bullshop as much of a deal that is, i was just looking for infomation on them is all. if it was later in the year i would of most likely taken you up on that offer

Boolit Master
    I have one.

Doc

I have 3 2-1s and a lyman cent. that I put 3 shots into .625'' at 100 yards with the 4x tube scope that came on it.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a #1 in 45-70, it's one of my favorite rifles and was a favorite of the gent I purchased it from too. Shoots like a dream with a 300gr cast and 19.5 Unique.

Banned
    I have a #3, does that count? LOL

Kills on the front, cripples on the rear.

SSB

Boolit Master

I have owned 2 - #1's and a #3
    Always have someone offer me to much $$ when I had bills to pay

Still close to my favorit lead launcher

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

1v got a # 1 in 45-70
    charlie in sw mo

well gentleman the reason why i asked is becuase i was wondering how these do for a long range verse a short range rifle. im looking for something that i can shot with long range. from what you guys say these are pretty good shooters.

I use cast boolits in mine exclusively now that I have got the barrel right. It is a ball to shoot with 400 to 500 grain projectiles. You are going to love a #1 in 45/70. You will need boolts around .462" for best accuracy. I beagled my molds early but now use .462" molds from CBE.

Nardoo

Boolit Master
    I bought a #1 in 45-70 some years back. Was shooting at 200 with a buddy heavy into BPCR. Cleaned my clock. But had a darn good time. Still wish ruger had went with a longer length bbl on it. Still looks like a carbine to me. They got it right when they designed the cenntennial model. Frank

I started with 45/70 and went to a 45/120 3.25" case

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master
    I enjoy my #1 x 45-70 very much. It is in my top 4 favorites with castings.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

ok guys anyone out there also shoot anything over yet say 400 yards with this or is that asking to much of the gun. i have a leopold 3x9 that i can use for glass. im just looking to see what im getting into is all. i have read alot about them but never got and real info i was looking for. like are these hard to dail in with the right bullet and also ahs anyone found a bullet that works for all things that they wanted out of it. ei.. hunting, paper punching any multi use bullets. and also is the brass hard to get for this gun. i want a single shot one day and this one is in the lead. and again thanks for all your inputs

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    The real question you have to ask yourself: Do I really want to send that much lead down range? Shoulder wise as well as inventory wise? If so, how often will I do it? ... felix
    felix

I've got one. It'll shoot anything I give it very accurately.

Boolit Grand Master
    The 45-70 is a premier long-range caliber, but goes about its business in a very different way than a flat-shooting varmint rig. You might consult some experienced BPCR shooters, who use this caliber (and other old-time chamberings) to go well past 600 yards. This often involves heavy-for-caliber boolits and sub-sonic velocities, substantial recoil in a 7.5# rifle, and basketball trajectories--but the radial dispersion is still small.

My #1 seems to do its best work with the 400 grain-class boolits at 1000-1400 FPS velocities. Those kinds of loads can be fired all day in the #1--recoil is noticeable, but not uncomfortable. Cases are easy to find.

My #1 has what is known as a "Government Ballseat", which consists of a VERY abrupt rifling leade and very short throat. Any boolit over 400-425 grains needs a bore-rider portion, or too much powder capacity gets eaten up by boolit shank.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

ok let me fish more info from you all. does anyone know teh twist rate on a newer 45/70. as i stated before im looking for as much info as i can get

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jballs918 View Post
    ok let me fish more info from you all. does anyone know teh twist rate on a newer 45/70. as i stated before im looking for as much info as i can get
    Ruger 1-S is 1:20 Right Hand twist. The 4570 is a well proven long range performer. You must be familiar with judging distance and adjust accordingly, but it is tough to beat for a versatile caliber.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]