Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need info on a Stevens Favorite barrel.

Boolit Master
    What IS the condition?
    I have a couple of Stevens made .25 Stevens chambered barrels that came to me with Black, Cruded up bores that a .22 Bore Brush would not go through by hand.
    After a LOT of work, they cleaned up to look Pitted And Ringed with Thin rifling But Shoot reasonably for Both Their and My Age. It seems Stevens cut his barrels toward the small end of Bore/Groove tolerance for .250" bullet use so they would give more accuracy with available Ammo of the time.
    Before "Writing Off" the Rifle or Barrel shoot it after Cleaning.
    Use a about 67 Grain Lead Bullet or a 50 Grain FMJ RN bullet to test the Accuracy of your Barrel and Stay Subsonic in your loads. The original .25-10-67 RF cartridges usually were listed as 1050 to 1120 fps (BP) or about 950 to 1000 fps (Smokeless) and considered good Target combinations out to about 150 to 200 Yards, shooting "Off Hand".

I am guessing your rifle has a History of Squirrels or Rabbits taken at about 50 to 75 yards, for Family "Pot Meat". which would mean about "Minute of Squirrel" in the hands of a Young Shooter of the Era.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by A pause for the COZ View Post
    Where might I obtain a replacement breech block in center fire and some .32 long colt cases? I will have to do some research on heeled bullets. casting is not a problem..
    Try CPA Rifles on the internet.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Grand Master

I can be either converted to center fire or it can be relined to 22 calibre, but the Favorite is NOT suitable for any more pressure than a 22 LR period. I have done several conversions to 32 S and Wesson but council against shooting modern longs. The favourite is NOT strong and the firing pin set up is poor for gas relief.

Hello Pause. That's a nice looking Stevens. I would love to find me a 44 1/2 project action with a barrel. Don't even have to have the wood with it. You're gonna have a lot of fun with the round ball workaround. I did that with my 38 cal #2 rolling block and the 6mm Floberts till I found a center fire block and converted it. They can still be tack drivers. I'm also glad we have Chev on here. He knows his models on these old guns. I still have not got it good in my mind what model is what. Ha. Ha. Have fun.

Roy
    Hooker53

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12