Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Ideal tool production history

Boolit Mold

Ideal tool production history

I've used the 310 tool for years to do the loading chores that can be done in front of the TV or stereo (no powder or seating operations). Now i seem to be as interested in the history of these tools despite the fact that I need another interest like I need warts. Does anyone know of a reasonably definitive treatise on these tools? I've done the web surfing and short of buying and reviewing every Lyman/Ideal/Marlin catalog, I was hoping someone else found time to do this research. Thanks

Boolit Bub
    I will have to dig mine out but the Lyman/Ideal Handbook (I think #40) included a full reprint of a very early Ideal catalog which got a lot into the history. I will see what I can find as far as the handbook.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the leads and I probably will get in touch as I get in over my head as usual.

Boolit Mold
    Looking forward to the lead on the history. Thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jschluter View Post
    Thanks for the leads and I probably will get in touch as I get in over my head as usual.
    If you're not in over your head, you don't have to do any real swimming. Dive in with the rest of us, the water's fine!

Froggie

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post

The reader will note that I am not making any attempt to find and acquire "every" Ideal tong tool variant and caliber, just the ones I "need" to best accomplish my actual use!

Froggie
    Charlie,

Same here, for 45+ years now. GMTA.

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!

Boolit Buddy
    If you want to peruse some older Lyman/Ideal manuals, try the library section on CTD. They have some of the manuals starting with the No 32 from 1936/37

http://cheaperthandirtretailstore.ne...g.aspx?sid=893

Boolit Mold
    I too and very interested in the "old" reloading ways. Specifically, I an interested in the Old West stuff, rather than the buffalo hunters calibers. I recently saw a Winchester model 1875 reloading tool for a 1873 44 WCF. I am real curious how much it was used by cowboys, outlaws or lawmen? Thanks for the posting............ I am going to check a couple of these things out.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan1650 View Post
    I too and very interested in the "old" reloading ways. Specifically, I an interested in the Old West stuff, rather than the buffalo hunters calibers. I recently saw a Winchester model 1875 reloading tool for a 1873 44 WCF. I am real curious how much it was used by cowboys, outlaws or lawmen? Thanks for the posting............ I am going to check a couple of these things out.
    Contrary to popular belief (and Hollywood) the average Old West cowboy probably didn't shoot off his six shooter or saddle gun all that much or often. Most towns had a gun shop and/or a section of the general store where ammo could be purchased (or if it was a gun shop, perhaps reloaded especially for the user.) Only the market hunters would have needed massive amounts of ammo, and even some of them bought what they shot, but that was probably where most Western reloading was done. Outlaws probably bought or stole most of theirs from what I've been able to read... why do the work of reloading when you steal everything else?

Froggie

Boolit Buddy
    14th edition Handloaders Digest 1995 has a very good article on the Lyman 310 tool and charts for the code numbers.

Boolit Mold
    I hear the article in the 1995 Digest is great............ the problem is finding one that somebody dont want $60.00 or higher for.