RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 358 Winchester Cast Make Sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Camba View Post
    Any one here know how much does it cost to swap a barrel of my Rem Model Seven to a 358 Win? My rifle is a 20" barrel Stainless steel (non reflecting stainless). The cartridge is from the 308 Win family (7mm-08 Rem).
    Camba
    Contact goodsteel here on the forum.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Banned

I had the day off and finally got the new Savage 99 to the range. I just loaded a few rounds with some RCBS 180 grain silhouette pistol bullets because I had some around from a lot I got from a gun shop that had bought out an estate sale. I may have to get a mold. Load with that bullet was 21 grains of 2400 which should be about 1800 FPS.

Anyway, I loaded nine rounds total and threw an old Weaver K4 on the rifle, again, because I had it around. Used six of them at 25 yards to get zeroed then shot the last three at 100. All three went easily under two inches, two were under an inch apart. I know one three shot group isn't real conclusive, but I have high hopes. I love Savage 99s and really like the handling characteristics of this one. I think this one will be my primary deer rifle this fall.

Attachment 96775

I think an ideal combo would be a Remmy 7600 in .358 Win. Lots of punch and quick follow-up shots. This is a project I want to undertake sometime soon.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by armorer59 View Post
    I think an ideal combo would be a Remmy 7600 in .358 Win. Lots of punch and quick follow-up shots. This is a project I want to undertake sometime soon.
    I think Remington makes them in .35 Whelen.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I think Remington makes them in .35 Whelen.
    At present they do not catalog a 35 Whelen Model 7600. Interestingly, they do catalog two different 30-06 rifles in the wood-stocked Model 7600. The differ only in the stock finish; one is glossy and the other is satin. There are also two different 30-06 rifles with synthetic stock, that differ in barrel length. One has a 22" barrel and the other has an 18-1/2" barrel.

The same situation exists with the autoloading Model 750, with the addition that the wood-stocked rifle is offered in 35 Whelen.

I find this all very interesting. Thanks for bringing it up.

Take care, Tom

Boolit Grand Master

Ok, thanks to you jerks I went and bought a Savage 99 that's been rebored by JES

So what molds should I buy? I plan on using the heavyweight 357 molds I have for plinking loads. But I need ones in the 200-250 grain range. I will be asking Tom at Accurate to make the molds. So which designs work? It seems the RCBS 200 FN is one but I didn't see one in the catalog that is a copy of it. I only want to do this once. I know that even a proven design might not work in my rifle. So what molds should I order up?

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Ok, thanks to you jerks I went and bought a Savage 99 that's been rebored by JES

So what molds should I buy? I plan on using the heavyweight 357 molds I have for plinking loads. But I need ones in the 200-250 grain range. I will be asking Tom at Accurate to make the molds. So which designs work? It seems the RCBS 200 FN is one but I didn't see one in the catalog that is a copy of it. I only want to do this once. I know that even a proven design might not work in my rifle. So what molds should I order up?
    I sent JES a savage 11 on Tuesday to be rebored to 358. I will be watching to see what people think is a good mold for your rifle. I am currently casting and loading the NOE 180 WFN for the rifle. I also plan to get one of HM2's 230 Thor molds and am on the MiHec 359-220 hunting boolit group buy. I may break down and get the NOE 200 grain RCBS clone if the group buy takes too long.
    The road less traveled ain't for the faint of heart

Everybody I've talked to recommended the RCBS 35-200-FN, so I bought one. I've not tried it yet.

Boolit Master
    I've used the 358315 (204) in the Rem and 358 and Whelen with good to excellent results. I've used the 358318 ( 250) in the 358JDJ contender and the358 and 35 Whelen with equal results. Several other molds have worked well also. Recoil goes up as bullet (boolit) weight increases!
    Deer ,bear and ground hogs have fallen to the 200 grain slugs as far as 200 yards, so I don't THINK I need the added jolt from extra weight slugs. Besides, I'm cheap and can get 150 bullets from the same amount of lead it takes for 100 heavier ones!
    I think the 358 Win IS a better cast bullet caliber than the .35 Whelen because it is a shorter more compact design. Velocities for optimum loads are not that far apart. JUST MY OPINION!!
    Last edited by jhalcott; 02-21-2014 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jhalcott View Post
    I think the 358 Win IS a better cast bullet caliber than the .35 Whelen because it is a shorter more compact design. Velocities for optimum loads are not that far apart. JUST MY OPINION!!
    I have to agree. I also feel the .358 Winchester is better for cast than the .35 Whelen. As the extra case capacity of the 35 Whelen does not help as you can only go so fast with a cast boolit. Now if you plan to shoot say the 358009 280Gr + boolits then the 35 Whelen may help mainly due to the length of the cartridge. But you will find people using the 358009 280Gr in the .358 Winchester with good results.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Banned

I'm liking this Savage 99 .358 more and more. Loade up nine rounds of some old Carrol cast bullets that I believe are the RCBS 200 grain FN I bought somewhere years ago in front of 35 grains of old B-West BW 36 powder (very similar to IMR 3031). Went to the range this morning and after the first all nine went into three and a half inches easily at 100 yards, but after the first three from a cold, clean barrel, the remaining six went into well under two inches.

My scope mounts for this rifle should arrive this week and then I'll put a better scope and mount set up on it. Gonna try to cast some of my own bullets this weekend for it (NOE RCBS 200 grain FN clone) and see how it does then, but I think I have officially found my new Go-To deer rifle now.

Boolit Grand Master

I like the RD 359-190 but the NOE copy of the RCBS 35-200 looks good, too.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Accurate 35-230D is great in my ruger...2200fps and 1-1.5" (5 shot groups) at 100 yards all day.
    You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
    You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
    You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
    You cannot further brotherhood of a man by inciting class hatred.
    You cannot build character and courage by taking away people’s initiative and independence.
    You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.

Boolit Grand Master

Contacted Tom today so I figured I'd post what he told me. #36-210B is a clone of the RCBS 35-220-FN. #36-210A is an improved version of it w/ a larger meplat for hunting. And #36-250A is a scaled up 250 grain version of the 210A. Now I just have to decide if I want the clone or improved since I will be hunting w/ this rifle.

I had him put a Saeco #352 clone on there as well. I have a double mold with that and his 358009 clone (with a .18" flat)...those are proven bullets also if you like the heavier ones.
    You cannot build character and courage by taking away people’s initiative and independence.
    You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.

Boolit Man
    For what it's worth, one of the major differences between the .35 Whelen and the .358 Winchester is the rifling twist, at least in factory guns; the Whelen (and the .35 Remington) having a 16" twist, and the M99 Savage in .358 Winchester a 12" twist (twists of Ruger bolt and Browning lever guns in this caliber are unknown to me at present). That difference becomes more readily apparent with the heavier boolits, with advantage there going to the .358. JES offers a tighter (14") twist in the Whelen rebore jobs, but then we're not talking factory guns.

I have .358 guns, and am considering a .35 Whelen rebore to a not-so-often used .30-06, all to use at some point for hunting deer and hogs; also have cast (but not as yet shot) the .230 Thor and NOE 35-200 RCBS clone boolits, and am in possession of the NOE 358009 clone. Obviously a lot of fun and experimentation to be had, both on my personal range and yours. Best of luck to us all.......

Jess

Banned

That is interesting to know. I have a 358009 mold as well and will try in in the future. It didn't shoot well in my .35 Whelen Remington 700.

I cast up some from the NOE RCBS clone. Cast of 50/50 COWW to range salvage. Some I air cooled, some I water dropped. I also cast some with the hollow point also water dropped. These like identical to the Carroll commercial cast ones that shot well, so I think it'll work. Truthfully, I doubt I'll ever need more bullet since I don't see me ever hunting anything bigger than Kansas white tails, but that 358009 oughta shoot all the way through anything I'm ever gonna shoot from any angle I'm likely to shoot it at.

Ruger Hawkeyes have a 12" twist.

Banned

Anyone have a source of data for the 358009 in the .358?

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Anyone have a source of data for the 358009 in the .358?
    I would also be very interested.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast