Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 358 Winchester Cast Make Sense?

Boolit Mold
    Not sure if it was too subtle, but i am asking for you guys to throw in on the plumbers pot vs. furnace issue or maybe I should start a new thread. Smack me down if I am over-reaching in this forum. - thanks,
    Mike

Banned

you would get more responses on a new thread.
    i have and use the magma pot, i have two of them actually.
    one is set up as a bottom pour on a frame i made myself from some small angle iron bolted to a stand.
    and the other is on the master caster frame [my wife uses this one].
    i also have a couple of lee pots.
    and it wouldn't make things any less easy if i had another one.
    a 20 lb bottom pour [lyman, rcbs, waage] for casting with would be a good initial in between a lee and a magma, that will last well.
    you will want another for melting and cleaning scrap alloy in.
    i use a cast iron dutch oven,a plumbers pot would work very well for this too.
    but i had the dutch oven and the propane fueled cooking stand, they have both lasted me over 20 years.
    so has the 20 lb lee and both magma 40 lb pots.

Boolit Grand Master

If it were me, I would get a deep cast iron pot, and a $50 turkey fryer form wally world (that's got to be the only overbuilt thing that ever came out of that store.) and a sheetmetal oil drip pan to keep lead drips off your driveway.
    I was just at target on the 23rd and they are selling a beautiful muffin pan made of heavy gauge aluminum. It's one piece construction, and it has smaller sized cavities (looks like you would get 1-1 1/2 pound ingots). Buy two of them.
    I am using the Lee 20 pound schmelting pot, with a thermometer, and It makes me want to do the happy dance every time I use it. It only cost me $65 and I am loving it! (I ladle cast over a Coleman stove for 15 years, so you can appreciate my awestruck wonder!)
    Now, I would recommend you using some of the proceeds of that sale, to buy WW ingots from swapin and sellin forum. Honestly, that's about as civilized as it gets! In the mean time, go to the tire shops and offer them a fair price for a bucket of WWs. Seems like nobody is responding to my "I'll give you $25 per bucket" spiel anymore, so you might want to offer $30? Irregardless, you can get cheap wheel weights if you want them cheap but not free.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Mold
    Good advice. Nothings free, right? Not looking for handouts and am willing to pay what it takes. I'll look at the Lee, I like their price.
    Thanks guys,
    Mike

Boolit Buddy
    This is a great thread, thought I would revive it! I have been interested in a 35 or 375 caliber rifle for cast lately, this has been a good thread to get the brain juices flowing on that.

Any lever guns or pumps chambered for the 358 besides maybe the blr? And anyone ever taken an ar-10 and thrown a 35 cal barrel on it? Maybe cast causes problems for the gas system? A heavy cast shooting ar-10 in 358 win would be a semi auto I could get excited about!

Dan

Boolit Grand Master

I'm building an M1A socom in 358 winchester, does that count? LOL!

Look into a marlin 336 in 35 Remington.
    Look into sending your 30-30 to JES reborring to have it rechambered to 356 Winchester or 35-30.
    You could also pick up a marlin in 357 mag, and have it reamed deeper for 357 Max?

Boolit Grand Master
    thinking of having JES rebore a Garand and chamber in 35 Whelen, if such a thing possible. Maybe a Savage of Rem bolt gun from 308 to 358 would be a good alternative

Boolit Master
    I seen a picture of an fal in 358 win once. This guy lived in Alaska. He had 20 rounds of hot 358. "Bears! , don't you know!" I'm no expert on 358's or bears....but it sounds good to me...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    thinking of having JES rebore a Garand and chamber in 35 Whelen, if such a thing possible. Maybe a Savage of Rem bolt gun from 308 to 358 would be a good alternative
    Yes indeed. He will ream the neck and the throat, but leave the chamber as is, so there is no headspace difference between the original chambering and the new one.
    Also, the barrel will be like a mirror. Absolutely some of the finest rifling I have ever seen.

I have a 35 Whelen on a re-bored FN Herstal 98k. Thread here with 250grain mold and H4895:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-boolit/page2
    I am realising however that for what I want (200-250grain cast at up to 2000fps, hunting out to 150metres) a 358 would have made more sense in that the small case volume would give better load density compared to the larger Whelen case.
    Live and learn, maybe my .243 M70 will get a re-barrel?
    ars longa, vita brevis

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    I'm building an M1A socom in 358 winchester, does that count? LOL!

Look into a marlin 336 in 35 Remington.
    Look into sending your 30-30 to JES reborring to have it rechambered to 356 Winchester or 35-30.
    You could also pick up a marlin in 357 mag, and have it reamed deeper for 357 Max?
    That is really cool. That socom in 358 would be awesome. I have never heard of reboring a barrel? How difficult is it and how much would something like that typically cost as if there is anything typical about that?! Any good threads that discuss the 35-30 vs the other lever compatible 35's? I have seen scads of used marlin 35 Remington's lately. Maybe that is the best bet?

Dan

Boolit Grand Master

JES charges about $250 to rebore a barrel and make sure it feeds the new ammo. (Honestly, I dont know how he does it for such a fair price).
    The only drawback to the 35 Remington is brass availability and variety. Kinda scarce.
    Since the 358 Winchester can easily be made from 308 brass, the options for brass is staggering. Even the 358 is slightly more cartridge than the normal booliteer can make use of, but not by much.
    The 356 Winchester is basically a 358 with a rim on it. Again, brass availability is sketchy at best.

All I can tell you is, do a google search on 35-30 and go to reading, but most important is answer all the necessary questions about how you are going to reload it. You need brass, you need dies, and you need to be able to make the ammo easily without doing a thousand yard crawl over broken glass to get accurate ammo.
    Sometimes the easiest way to do that, is to pick a common caliber that you can get anywhere, and adjust your rifle, brass and dies to get you there easily. Basically, use the 358 Winchester/ 308 winchester relationship to look at other cartridges to see what you can do to get where you are going. The only disadvantage I can think of to the 35-30 would be the super thin case necks. 30-30 has precious little to start with, and sizing up to 358 would make it even less.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    JES charges about $250 to rebore a barrel and make sure it feeds the new ammo. (Honestly, I dont know how he does it for such a fair price).
    The only drawback to the 35 Remington is brass availability and variety. Kinda scarce.
    Since the 358 Winchester can easily be made from 308 brass, the options for brass is staggering. Even the 358 is slightly more cartridge than the normal booliteer can make use of, but not by much.
    The 356 Winchester is basically a 358 with a rim on it. Again, brass availability is sketchy at best.

All I can tell you is, do a google search on 35-30 and go to reading, but most important is answer all the necessary questions about how you are going to reload it. You need brass, you need dies, and you need to be able to make the ammo easily without doing a thousand yard crawl over broken glass to get accurate ammo.
    Sometimes the easiest way to do that, is to pick a common caliber that you can get anywhere, and adjust your rifle, brass and dies to get you there easily. Basically, use the 358 Winchester/ 308 winchester relationship to look at other cartridges to see what you can do to get where you are going. The only disadvantage I can think of to the 35-30 would be the super thin case necks. 30-30 has precious little to start with, and sizing up to 358 would make it even less.
    Thanks for all the great info! That really is amazing that they can do that for so little!

So what about the 35/444 wild cats? Would that even work in a 336 or am I stuck using the 1895 and rebarrel?

That would solve the brass issue at least.

HighStandard40, if I had the measurements for the beautiful looking .358 boolit of yours from Mountain Molds, I would order one for myself. What a perfect looking boolit for the 358 Win.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Boolit Buddy
    You all really have me thinking about a 358 Win.

I saw a Ruger gunsite scout tonight at cabelas, that got me thinking.

They make those left handed which is a bonus for me, and you could re barrel to 358. I could have a mag fed, heavy boolit shootin, easy to carry rifle, with a low power scope mounted out a ways so I don't get two left eye brows. Boy, that would be a bolt gun I could get excited about! Flush mag for hunting, and 10 round for when you wanna feel "tactical" which is hardly ever Plus I kinda like the laminate stock, those laminate trees must grow in the swamp? Never seen one here
    Dan

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by high standard 40 View Post
    I have a custom Mauser 98 in 358 Win and my load for it uses a 255gr bullet from "Mountain Molds". I get about 2200fps with accuracy of about 1.25" for 5 shots at 100 yards. With the large meplat on this bullet it is a real thumper on whitetails. My alloy is COWW + 4% added tin.

Wow, those are fantastic, a 358 win is officially on my to do list no doubt about it.

In Remembrance
    Savage made a fine lever action in 358, you don't see them for sale every day, but I will eventually own one.

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    thinking of having JES rebore a Garand and chamber in 35 Whelen, if such a thing possible.
    The M1 Garand rifle has been reworked to 458 Win Mag for many years now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Savage made a fine lever action in 358, you don't see them for sale every day, but I will eventually own one.
    I'm just beginning to dive into the .358 with a Savage 99 Brush Gun in .358. I'm going to play around mostly with cast pistol bullets and light charges of powder for a while with it like I did mostly with my .35 Remington, but I also have the NOW clone of the RCBS 200 grain FN that I will use for deer hunting.

I have hunted with cast for the past three years (always did with muzzle loaders) Bsides the ones taken with muzzle loaders, I've taken two good does and a nice buck with a .30-30, .300 Savage and .308 respectively using an original 31141, the NOE311041 clone and the Ranchdog bullet, all worked well. I guess I'm saying this in reply to the question whether cast will be effective in the .358, I'll tell you the .358 is really a lot more power than you really need for deer anyway if you're a reasnably good hunter and get within a reasonable range. I have yet to shoot a deer more than 100 yards away and the vast majority have been much closer.

I know bow hunters who consistently bring home venison a few times a year. If a guy can do it with a bow, cast in a .30 caliber or bigger rifle is a cinch.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Jesse O. will make you up a Rem.760 in 358 Win.If you are looking for one to spend two weeks in the Selway in a wet scabbard,send him a beater. For a showpiece send him a a nice old 5 diamond forend model..I don't have one,only because the two he did for me are a 35 Whelen and a 9.3x62..If cast boolits for hunting is the primary goal,I'd go for the 358 W. fwiw Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast