Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: How to tune ejection on 1911

Banned

How to tune ejection on 1911

How do you do this?

My new 1911 Commander is either hitting me in the face, or it is throw ing the cases straight forward. It is leaving brass marks on the slide in front of the ejection port about 1/2" forward.

Boolit Master

I would first look at extractor tension. Take the slide off the frame and take the barrel out of the slide. Take a loaded round nose 230 grain round and slide it up the breech face and under the extractor. The extractor should hold the round when the slide is level. Adjust the tension if needed.
    Usually when a 1911 throws the brass forward it is not coming out the ejection port completely and the slide is shoving the brass forward on returning to battery. Do you have a lot of Stove pipe failures where the brass is trapped? That is another sign of weak extractor tension.
    Is the mouth of your cases bent inward? If they are then you need to lower the ejection port and the brass will be thrown out at a lower angle than it is now. More to the right and not back in your face.
    If this fails the you can take some material off the bottom half of the ejector which will make the top angle less severe and the brass should not come back in your face.
    Make up some dummy rounds and work them through the action to test for ejection pattern.

Boolit Master

I may have mis-spoken on the last post. Does the Commander come with an extended ejector? If so the mods on the extractor will need to be made on the top half as the brass only hits the top half on an extended ejector.. The side away from the ejection port will need to be longer and the side toward the ejection will be a little shorter. The brass will hit the outside edge of the ejector and will pivot out the ejection port.

Banned

I have not had any problems with bent or crushed brass. It has been 100% so far as to how it feeds. It already has a lowered and flared ejection port. The ejector extended one compared to my other full size 1911.