Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: boolits bigger than cylinder throats

Boolit Buddy

boolits bigger than cylinder throats

how big is too big? my boolits are about .002" bigger than my cylinder throats. is this too big?

approximate measurements:

boolits are .4555-.456"
    throats are .454"
    barrel is .4525"

Banned

will they chamber?
    you increase pressure by about 3-400 psi for every thou over sized untill you hit about 4 thou then the pressure starts to climb non linealy.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    will they chamber?
    you increase pressure by about 3-400 psi for every thou over sized untill you hit about 4 thou then the pressure starts to climb non linealy.
    the WFN's chamber fine, the wadcutters chamber if they are seated deep in the case

accurate 45-255w
    and
    accurate 45-360C

Banned

nice looking boolits.
    the wadcutter is similar to one i use in my 41 mag.
    i can barely get it to chamber in either of my rugers, it however is stupid accurate so i put up with the hard pressure thumb seating.
    i turn the cylinder a full rotation after inserting each case to make sure the cylinder will revolve when firing the gun.
    you should be allright firing them,if the accuracy is okay but could be better, i'd then size them down.

Boolit Buddy

I'd size them to .454" personally. That would allow them to pass through the throats without getting swaged down much, if any, and still give you a good seal in the barrel. Try taking the cylinder out and dropping a boolit through each cylinder chamber. It should go through with just a little resistance. If you have to push it through with force it is generally too big. Some firearms like runfiverun's can be unique beasts though. You definitely don't want the throats smaller than the groove diameter of your barrel.

LongPoint
    I believe old Elmer said something to the effect of, it don't make no horse sense to size bullets larger than the cylinder throats. I believe sizing larger than the cylinder throats does nothing except increase wear on the frame and cylinder contact points due to increased thrust. The price of the proper sized die is small compared to the cost of repairing or replacing a fine revolver. If the throats are larger than barrel groove diameter as it should be then properly sized bullets will shoot just fine.
    It's your nickel so spend it as you wish. Good Luck.

LongPoint

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LongPoint View Post
    I believe old Elmer said something to the effect of, it don't make no horse sense to size bullets larger than the cylinder throats. I believe sizing larger than the cylinder throats does nothing except increase wear on the frame and cylinder contact points due to increased thrust. The price of the proper sized die is small compared to the cost of repairing or replacing a fine revolver. If the throats are larger than barrel groove diameter as it should be then properly sized bullets will shoot just fine.
    It's your nickel so spend it as you wish. Good Luck.

LongPoint
    That has been my opinion forever and Elmer was right. There is no sense at all turning the throats into size dies. That can wipe out GG's too if small like a TL boolit.
    I would size .454" for that gun but even a tad smaller will not hurt. .4535" sounds ideal to me.
    Sounds like a Colt or clone, they never got it right. Throats should have been .453" for the bore size.

Boolit Master

I have one of those old pre mod 25's with the monster throats. I size my swc's at .454 - then, after they're all loaded up I have to run them in my 45 taper crimp die just far enough to kiss the boolit. Then they drop right on in the chambers with no resistance. Shoot pretty good, too !! Keep em in the black. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, the only downside to shooting bullets larger than cylinder throats is lead spray on cylinder face, top strap, and forcing cone area...

At least in my revolvers it seems.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, the only downside to shooting bullets larger than cylinder throats is lead spray on cylinder face, top strap, and forcing cone area...

At least in my revolvers it seems.
    Not always. That is usually boolits too soft. Just too many variables. Soft lead can extrude out of the gap. Many shoot over throat size with no leading at all but there is always sizing to the boolit.

Banned

i don't really like grossly oversized boolits either.
    quite often i'm guilty of ignoring oversized cylinder throats.
    the 41 is just an anomoly for me, everything just got measured out a bit too tightly.
    i could trim the cases back a little for a slightly looser fit. [maybe even size to 410]
    but ehh,,, short case sizing [neck] and the front drive band lightly engraving in the throats works to hold everything in excellent alignment [apparently] in this case.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    i don't really like grossly oversized boolits either.
    quite often i'm guilty of ignoring oversized cylinder throats.
    the 41 is just an anomoly for me, everything just got measured out a bit too tightly.
    i could trim the cases back a little for a slightly looser fit. [maybe even size to 410]
    but ehh,,, short case sizing [neck] and the front drive band lightly engraving in the throats works to hold everything in excellent alignment [apparently] in this case.
    Yes, as long as you can chamber the front drive band, might need a thumb push but all is good.
    Now a speed shooter or a double action with a speed loader sure does not want boolits larger then the throats.
    It is just not that critical and you do not need a force fit. Too large is a problem the same as too small. I try for about .0005" clearance. Yet I have .0024" undersize boolits for my .44 that shoot tiny groups. They are groove size and still work.