RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Wad for 16 pellet #1 buck? (12 gauge)

Wad for 16 pellet #1 buck? (12 gauge)

I've been experimenting a lot with #1 buck, and recently traded some off to another CB member. I've been loading the #1 using lead shot data, just substituting the weight.

The shot is cast from a Sharpshooter mold using WW with a little bit of lino and tin for fill out.

I can't fit four layers of 3 in the Federal wads I'm using (too shallow--I think I need to get the deepest Fed 12SO they make) to make a 12 pellet load. So instead I've been cutting the petals off and making a 4x3 load instead. The height comes out perfect for a roll crimp.

Would there be a preference? I suspect having the shot enclosed in a wad would help a bit as it would avoid lead on steel contact/scrubbing.

I as also wondering, what's the packing arrangement in a 16 pellet 2 3/4" load? You can only fit 3 pellets in thin walled wads per layer. That, and 16 isn't a multiple of 3! So it must be 4x4 with no shot cup?

Just curious--so far I've just been using this for informal phone-book blasting and HD practice and use commercial stuff for HD. But if I'm going to spend the time loading my own, may as well do it as good as possible.
    Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing!

Boolit Buddy
    -------
    Last edited by ovendoctor; 12-14-2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: accused of giving bad advise

Boolit Buddy
    The winchester AA12R wad is going to be the most common, and comes to mind first. Other than that I think you'll best be served with using a Over powder card which you can play with the thickness to get what you want.

I just loaded some 12c1 federal wads , 12 fit real nice leaving the pedals on. The pedals are pretty thin so I do expect them to get rubbed through. Just remember that it will help to cover those pellets with some alox to help things along.

Look at Ballistic products inc. they should have a large array of wads and such. They just may have some load info for you too.

I was just digging around too. Federal Flight Control #1 is 15 pellet, but Remington and Winchester Super-X are both 16 pellet.

The Federal has got to be a 3x5 stacking arrangement, but I have not idea what the Rem or Winchesters use. I have a box of Winchester sitting here, but I can't bring myself to take a razor to it.
    Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing!

Boolit Grand Master
    Here's a hint: the factories cheat. Their buckshot is not the .300" diameter that you would expect, but rather in the .286" range. This data from dissecting a #1 buck load. Using a wad, you need one with a short crush section like a WAA12R. A lower bulk powder will also help in terms of producing the short column from powder to top of buck needed to allow the load to fit in the hull.

Why don't you try Lyman's recommendation of the WAA12R wad (only available in Claybuster clone now) Universal powder, and the Federal straightwall case? These things maximize room with 15 #1 buck.....and BTW, 15 of real #1 buck weigh 600 grains, or 1 3/8 ounce. This is notably heavier in weight that factory loaded "#1" buck of equivalent pellet count due to the difference in actual shot size. The factory #1 buck 15 pellet loads are closer to 1 1/8 ounce.

You won't have to ask if the gun went off with this load. 28 grains Universal, Winchester 209 primer, 1360 fps. That oughta belt you good.

Boolit Grand Master
    There are slower loads, should you wish to hear about them. Knocking 200 fps off the velocity won't reduce the effectiveness to any significant degree and it should hurt a lot less to shoot.

I have used 15 x #1 buck

Load I used is written on the target. I think I used 5 stacks of 3 IIRC.

Boolit Master
    Check this thread for a tight patterning, buffered, 2x2 stack of 16 pellets and pressure tested #1B load. This is a true .30 caliber pellet load of 1 3/8th ounces:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=#post1252297
    Last edited by RMc; 12-16-2012 at 04:30 PM.